Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Just what we need.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 03:09 PM
Default RE: Just what we need.....

I make $26 per hour before taxes and dues and health care plans I cannot use. At least after 20 years of service, I get a 40% pention. I get 25 days of paid vacation tho, which is very nice, but the only benefit.

Pretty lame for my line of work, considering im not allowed to have or be part of a union. Its forbidden.

Old 09-25-2007, 03:17 PM

I'm not a union fan by any means, but the big three auto makers for years caved in at the negotiating table, and allowed the tail to wag the dog (so to speak). This has led us to the place, where about the only people that can afford the damnvehicles, are those that are building them.

Oh, and don't forget, the employees also get an additional discount not available to "John Q Public".

Old 09-25-2007, 03:27 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

I respect Taz's opinion, but history will eventually dictate at what point in history the unions became least useful and at more so, at what point they became pracitally detrimental.

Old 09-25-2007, 03:34 PM

GPD, I think it will be "Totally" instead of "Practically"

Old 09-25-2007, 04:36 PM

ORIGINAL: Revitupfaster

GPD, I think it will be "Totally" instead of "Practically"
LOL! How did you know that in myhope to be "*****-free" that I changed my word choice?

Old 09-26-2007, 11:42 AM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Unions are not what they once were. To protect the workers.

I know every one of our 45 drivers has been fired at one time or another and thanks to the union they all got their jobs back. Some came back sooner then others but still, they all got their jobs back. It takes alot on the driver's part NOT to get re-hired once the higher ups have decided to fire one of them.

I know of companies the unions climbed in bed with the company and more or less screwed the workers.

Never having been in one myself I really can't say if I like or dislike being in a union?

Old 09-26-2007, 12:23 PM

Well I am glad they are all back to work this morning. Strikes BLOW!!!

Old 09-26-2007, 12:40 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I can't recall which way this goes but my father mentioned yesterday he heard that GM was demanding all cars be made in the U.S. or it was the other way around?

Old 09-26-2007, 04:24 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The local news said the major stumbling block was job security. So I'm guessing that GM wanted to move production OUT of north america.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:45 AM

ORIGINAL: SolaraSlayer

A strike against GM. We already make the world's poorest vehicles because of the unions.....

DETROIT (Reuters) - United Auto Workers union-represented employees walked off the job and organized pickets outside General Motors Corp plants as the union called a national strike against the top U.S. automaker after marathon contract talks failed to produce a deal.

more: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070924/us_nm/gm_dc_4

I take great offence to your comment (Opinion). First I don't believe we make the poorest vehicles second the unions don't dictate the quality of the vehicles being made, these are the same unions that make toyotas & hondas in this country so what does that tell you. I don't think this is a union problem but a corprate greed problem witch has always been the problem with american companies and will be the downfall of the american worker ie NO JOBS because we sent them to a third world country. UNIONS BUILT THIS COUNTRY CORPRATE GREED IS BRINGING IT DOWN. These are the facts not opinion.

Quick Reply: Just what we need.....