Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Just Can't Decide...

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 11:14 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Just Can't Decide...

Well I feel like the Monte has gotten a bit too tame for me and after 75k miles I think I may wanna cut back a bit on the whole beating the car to death thing. So I've been looking at getting another car so that I'll still have two vehicles when I sell my quad. While I was looking at getting a MK1 MR2 for awhile, the one I was looking at just had to go into the shop the day before I was to look at it and the mechanic decided it was on it's last leg engine wise. I decided to pass on the MR2.

However, now I'm looking at getting a Porsche 944 and doing a LS1 swap after a few years. I know of one 944 that's supposed to be in great shape minus the faded paint but I've yet to go look at it. So now I'm in the market for getting a car just to mess around in, maybe get in a bit of trouble, all I know is I want to stay with a standard transmission and hopefully will end up with something that has plenty of aftermarket support (hence the LS1 swap).

What about you guys? I'm sure there are many of you that may never tire of your Monte and while I plan on keeping mine for years to come I still wanna get something else to play in. Any memorable cars that you've had that may not have been the sweetest looking or fastest but provided plenty of fun?

Old 09-14-2009, 11:29 PM

2 95 Firebirds. One was a formula the other a trans am. I loved the cheap power and decent amount of parts for the lt1. I also loved my Subaru WRX.

What is your price range?

Old 09-14-2009, 11:54 PM

been looking at mid 50's-60's beetles for a d.d. to keep the miles off my mc.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:28 AM

I had a few fun cars!
1. 1984 Datsun 300Z
2. 1987 Turbo supra
3. 1987 Buick GN
than i got married.
then i got divorced.
4. 2003 Monte Carlo SS

Old 09-15-2009, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Teacher
2 95 Firebirds. One was a formula the other a trans am. I loved the cheap power and decent amount of parts for the lt1. I also loved my Subaru WRX.

What is your price range?
Well I'm trying to keep it under $3k for the moment.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:08 AM

3k should get you into an lt1 camaro or firebird. Also the late 80's fox body mustang. I liked your MR2 idea and the Porsche 944. There was a 944 for sale here awhile back for 2500. What are you going to drive in the snow? The monte?

Old 09-15-2009, 08:37 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

Laugh if you all want, but I don't think anyone actually understood how fun this car was till they drove it...then they understood.

My 2003 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe (basically a Z24, they changed the name to LS Sport Coupe in 03)...

It had the 2.2L Ecotec, and 5 speed Getrag manual tranny. Totally loaded (for a Cavalier) moonroof etc...Not the fastest car out there, but REALLY quick. Since it was the sport model, it had a stiffer suspension, and the 16" wheels. I loved hauling *** through the mountains...that car was a good combination of Quick and Good Handling. It was by no means a sports car, it just did everything well for a car that cost me $8,250 had 37K on it when I bought it, and was only 2 years old when I got it...plus got an average of 28-32 MPG depending on how hard I beat on it and NEVER had a single problem, super super reliable even at 100K...

I still miss that car sometimes...don't get me wrong though, the Monte is MUCH MORE refined and a nicer car, I love the Monte, more so than the Cavalier for sure, but I still liked the Cavalier.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:18 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've actually been looking into an L67 powered car... Regal GS / GTP as a DD beater

I was looking at Camaros and Firebird/TA but then I realized my Monte would be a winter driver and I'm not having that.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Teacher
3k should get you into an lt1 camaro or firebird. Also the late 80's fox body mustang. I liked your MR2 idea and the Porsche 944. There was a 944 for sale here awhile back for 2500. What are you going to drive in the snow? The monte?
Snow? The Monte, it's always been my daily driver and I haven't had any major problems with it so far. I know it's much easier to drive in the snow than all the RWD V8s that I learned to drive, although they're not that bad if you know what you're doing.

2.2 Ecotec with a 5 speed would be pretty fun, and from the sounds of it they've got plenty of support too.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:56 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by God_Bot
2.2 Ecotec with a 5 speed would be pretty fun, and from the sounds of it they've got plenty of support too.
Oh yea, they got tons of aftermarket support. The Ecotec is GREAT! The automatics are nothing special, just a car. But the 5 Speed really brings out the power of that engine...

Quick Reply: Just Can't Decide...