Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

July Photo contest we have (2) subjects again Patriotic/Military & Water features

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 04:50 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile July Photo contest we have (2) subjects again Patriotic/Military & Water features

July 2018 Photo Contests
(2) of them for your photography skills
This should help all with the hunt for the right subject matter. We are back now to the old standard rules the photo should be a 2018 photo, with your car that you took.
TIP: If you want to take a great photo remember it is not about the Car it's about the Car and the backdrop that makes a great shot! Kind of a TEAM thing.
This month of July will be Patriotic/Military stuff, and Water Feature

Okay I think I am going to throw in one more Subject matter for a third contest for July.

3rd Theme will be a Photographers Choice.

You pick a great backdrop for your Car.
Hoods and Trunk Lids are Down for this shot, this will allow you to get real creative. Okay forgot to put this in before but we need about 5 days for Voting so if you can have these posted by the 26th of July that would be great.

The examples are for reference and not my entries.
#1 example Patriotic/Military stuff. Seen here are flags and a landing craft memorial

#2 example Water Feature
Seen here is a small pond in the background, Water falls are good and even the local swimming pool, Lake, Boating in the background, or sprinklers. Use your imagination for this one.

Attached Thumbnails July Photo contest we have (2) subjects again Patriotic/Military & Water features-img_3077.jpg   July Photo contest we have (2) subjects again Patriotic/Military & Water features-car-shows-001.jpg  

Last edited by drivernumber3; 07-16-2018 at 08:55 AM. Reason: add time frame for posting.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:48 AM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2010
Monte Of The Month -- July 2013
IT HERTZ
5 Year Member

HAHA this is Awesome . I will have to get a better water shot this 1 has the Pacific ocean behind it but you can really see it .

Attached Thumbnails July Photo contest we have (2) subjects again Patriotic/Military & Water features-dsc06634-copy.jpg   July Photo contest we have (2) subjects again Patriotic/Military & Water features-surfcity-iasca3x-wr-bd-drag-lincoln-city-2.jpg  
Old 07-03-2018, 07:59 PM
5 Year Member
Cool Subject matter for a third contest for July

Okay I think I am going to throw in one more Subject matter for a third contest for July.

3rd Theme will be a Photographers Choice.

You pick a great backdrop for your Car.
Hoods and Trunk Lids are Down for this shot, this will allow you to get real creative.

Old 07-04-2018, 06:43 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

We have a lot of lakes near us so I'll be right back ...might be in for photographers choice too.

Old 07-04-2018, 08:18 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm still drawing a blank here. We've done such themes before and I feel like I've used my best ideas, and with Canada Day past, I've probably missed a good Patriot opportunity somewhere (it's very hard for me to pull off a Star and Stripes themed photo without serious travel). We got time, so I'm still thinking and searching while driving around armed with the camera....

Old 07-05-2018, 02:23 PM

15 Year Member

So rather than go Patriotic, I found a good "Military" themed shot cruising around St. Thomas, Ontario (all my shots were taken in St. Thomas today).

In front of the 31 Combat Engineer Regiment Barracks sits this... tank. I didn't really find out more. There is a couple of tank sitting on the lawn in front of the barracks, but there isn't much info on them and a quick Google turned up nothing. The place looked business enough that I didn't think it a good idea to drive across the lawn for the photo (like I usually attempt), so I settled for a photo-bombing with the BudChev.

I don't have a big story for my "Water Feature" shot, but I like it. The shot was taken in Pinafore Park.

I milled around that park for over an hour hoping that dang ugly Hyundai Accent would leave/ get out of the shot, but they were there to stay. At least her car was black and in the shadows - sort of neutralized I think. Still bugs me a bit.

My "Photographers Choice" picture isn't by any means my favorite. It just seems like a good time to use this since "Elephant Statue" was probably never going to be a theme

It's the Jumbo monument it St Thomas, Ontario. I was originally thinking maybe this would be a Patriotic shot, but it's weak. The wind was ticking me off because it was dead and wouldn't lift the flag. I've taken shots at the monument before and have never got a perfect shot, but it's worth sharing I think.

Copied from Wikipedia (and edited to be brief):
"Jumbo the was a 19th-century male African bush elephant born in Sudan. Jumbo was sold to P. T. Barnum, who took him to the United States for exhibition in March 1882. Jumbo died at a railway classification yard in Canada at St. Thomas, Ontario on September 15, 1885."

There we are! 1-2-3!

Old 07-05-2018, 07:52 PM
5 Year Member
Smile Wow, those are all great shots.

Wow, those are all great shots.
I am going to need to do some hunting to find some that even compare.
I got this one a few weeks back but the plane has no colorful markings so I am not sure if I will use it or not?

Attached Thumbnails July Photo contest we have (2) subjects again Patriotic/Military & Water features-img_4919.jpg  
Old 07-06-2018, 06:40 AM

15 Year Member

I'd scale that thing slap a #8 decal on the side. Cool shot. I couldn't get anywhere near anything good out by my local airport (besides the previous photo I used years ago). There is few cool vintage jets that u can see, but I couldn't see a picture to be taken

Old 07-11-2018, 08:12 AM
5 Year Member
Cool

To shimmy up the frame work would be very difficult for me so I decided to keep searching and found something to use.

I think I have the Military/ Patriotic theme photo and the photographers choice photo.

The F-4 Phantom is at an Airport in a small town of Hastings, NE so not sure if I should use the one that is flying to or from?

Something like your elephant shot have no idea where this one would fit in other wise, still on the hunt for my water feature picture, a bunch of stream and river opportunities but you can't stop on the bridge and take the photo. So I will keep in the hunt for that one, I am not able to recall any water falls?

Had my grandson with me and he thought this was pretty cool.

The flying circus as is is named is in Grand Island, NE.
I remembered the Pink Cadillac running through the wall from 25 years ago.
I saw this stuff when I was there last year and it's like a episode from the Movie Cars.

Attached Thumbnails July Photo contest we have (2) subjects again Patriotic/Military & Water features-img_5128a.jpg   July Photo contest we have (2) subjects again Patriotic/Military & Water features-img_5098a.jpg   July Photo contest we have (2) subjects again Patriotic/Military & Water features-img_5058a.jpg   July Photo contest we have (2) subjects again Patriotic/Military & Water features-img_5067a.jpg  
Old 07-11-2018, 09:24 AM

15 Year Member

Amazing scene setters there! I would have driven 200 miles to get those shots

Quick Reply: July Photo contest we have (2) subjects again Patriotic/Military & Water features