Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Jr's. New Number???

Old 08-31-2007, 01:00 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008
Default Jr's. New Number???

Okay crew, pick the number you like!

Car Number news for Dale Jr: Hendrick Motorsports has applied to the United States Patent and Trademark Office for potential use of five numbers next season for Dale Earnhardt, Jr. The numbers under consideration are #38, #51, #81, #82 and #58. Filing with Patent and Trademark Office does not guarantee NASCAR approval to use any of those numbers, but does prevent an outside party from trademarking the specific font and graphic package used by Hendrick on its racecars, diecast collectibles and souvenirs. Hendrick filed for the #81 on July 25th, with the most recent filing being for the #38 on August 9th. There have been reports that Hendrick is attempting to strike a deal with Robert Yates Racing for the #38 next season, but my [Dave Moody] sources tell me that the deal is not likely to happen.(Motorsports Soapbox)(8-30-2007)

Old 08-31-2007, 02:17 PM
Default RE: Jr's. New Number???

Yates not interested in giving Dale Jr. #38: Doug Yates confirmed his team has been approached by a representative of Hendrick Motorsports about securing the #38 for Dale Earnhardt Jr. next year, but if Yates gets his way, there will be no such transfer. Earnhardt recently was denied the opportunity to take the #8 from Dale Earnhardt Inc. to Hendrick and now is considering other number options. The #38 currently is being used by David Gilliland. "Dale Jr., since he can't have what he wants, he might want the 38," said Yates, president Yates/Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing. "They're asking for the 38, and the 38 and 88 are our numbers. It's almost a little strange. It's like somebody asking if they can take your girlfriend or your wife out. We feel we're going to have the 38 and 88 [next year]." While Yates said he is not interested in parting with the number, doesn't everything in the sport have a price tag? "That's my dad's side of it," Yates said, referring to his father, Robert Yates. "But for me, these are our numbers, and we're set with them."(ESPN.com)(8-31-2007)

Old 08-31-2007, 02:19 PM

I would pick 81, since we have been seeing him in the 81 car a bunch of times in the Busch races however it’s not listed in the poll :/

Old 08-31-2007, 02:46 PM

"0" or '00" not an option?

Old 08-31-2007, 02:49 PM

#81 Fixed

Old 08-31-2007, 04:16 PM

, being HUGE Earnhardt fan, it sure is going to be strange seeing him race with one of these numbers. I hope its 81 at least.

Old 08-31-2007, 05:52 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

hey what about the #3. you guys seem to misunderstand something. no car owner OWNS a number, he is ASSIGNED a number. however, the owner with the number takes presidence over a driver who wants to take that owner, even if ti is in hiatus. in order for childress to keep the number 3, he would have to field a car with that number. if you earnhardt jr. REALLY wnated the 3, i think he could have it.

Old 08-31-2007, 05:53 PM

ORIGINAL: Cowboy6622

hey what about the #3. you guys seem to misunderstand something. no car owner OWNS a number, he is ASSIGNED a number. however, the owner with the number takes presidence over a driver who wants to take that owner, even if ti is in hiatus. in order for childress to keep the number 3, he would have to field a car with that number. if you earnhardt jr. REALLY wnated the 3, i think he could have it.
A friend who races told me that they 'lease' the numbers from NASCAR.

Old 08-31-2007, 07:04 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

In the poll, I voted for 38. But after considering it for a couple hours, I think I prefer 81. I like Dale Sr., and honoring the Sr. & Jr. team with renumbering to 38 would be nice. But I think Jr. would like to be remembered for his accomplishments on the track, not for trying to take someone else's number from them just for sentimental reasons.

Old 08-31-2007, 07:10 PM

FYI:
Who owns the Nextel Cup car numbers?
NASCAR owns and assigns car numbers to an owner(s). NASCAR reserves the right to revoke or transfer car numbers to another owner/team at any time. Car numbers are non-assignable and non-transferable, except by NASCAR. NASCAR works with teams and sponsors when a specific number is requested. If duplication of numbers occur, which usually happens with the part-time teams, the fastest qualifier usually gets to use the number unless one team is considered full-time. In 2002, the #27 was used by Scott Wimmer for Bill Davis Racing and by Kirk Shelmerdine, both part time, however, Wimmer was listed in the #27 and Shelmerdine in the #`172 and when they attempted the same races, Wimmer got to use the #27 and Shelmerdine ran the #72, so NASCAR uses it's judgement in deciding who runs the number.(9-6-1999/9-17/2003)

AND NASCAR said it owns the numbers used in the Nextel Cup Series, not car owners. And since they own the numbers, they're not for sale. Car owners are allowed to lease each number for one year, NASCAR spokesman Ramsey Poston said. Teresa Earnhardt, who currently controls her stepson's #8, can renew that lease next year to keep him from using it.(6-26-2007)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Jr's. New Number???