Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

I've had computer problems lately

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 03:00 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008
Default I've had computer problems lately

OnJuly 31 I upgraded to Norton 360 from a cd. That night we had a storm. My Clearwire modem died and had to be replaced. Then about a week later I decide to put some pics on my computer from a cd so I can work on a website I maintain. No DVD, code 10. Last known time it worked was during the Norton install so I uninstalled using Norton Removal Tool. Still no DVD so can't put Norton back on. Checked to make sure my son had not put iTunes back on (iTunes and Vista are not compatible and will throw a code 10, done been there). Put the free AVG on. Had a friend come over. He thinks a driver update will fix it. Downloads a driver from Acer, it's zipped. I have no unzip software so he downloads a program. That program came with an evil little friend, antivirus xp 2008. It hijacked my desktop. During all this time we had tried different system restore points to no avail. Lost the internet. Finally got the internet back not sure if it was from another restore that put everything back on or if it was from the uninstall/install of the network adapter, but it came back. Then got a malware fix off the internet (not the one the hijacker wanted me to pay for though). Got rid of that, but was left with a broken AVG program, finally got that fixed. Went into the registry keys this morning per Microsoft's instructions and got my DVD back. Now to do the same except for a code 19 on my card reader. Has NOT been fun.

So now I think I'm going to return Norton 360 and get AVG Internet Security (the paid version I don't feel safe with the free one, I want more protection) Anyone have any suggestions on which adware/spyware/malware program to use?

Old 08-20-2008, 05:48 PM
Default RE: I've had computer problems lately

i hate to say this but did you have a virus scann on the disk before the install?
WE have a vista crapputer also. (Ilove the thing cant you tell)
Anyway. we have norton 360 on all of our desktops and laptops here at the house. I run a wireless internet threw the house. and also have Adware from Adware.com for spywhere etc...
IT is working fine and has for over a year now with this set up. Makes me wonder if you didnt get a curupt disk to beginwith or you had the virus liek a trojin horse on the hard drive and when you installed it set it off and this is actually the issue. We had a hard drive on my old puter that did this after installing my photo shop and i finally changed the hard drive out and all was good. But took me forever to get it to just run enough to allow me to get the stuff i needed off of it.
i took what i needed then destroyed my old H.D. and installed fresh on the new one.
Wife was a I.T. tech int eh service for 16 years says it is most likly not the norton or the vista but tha tyou got a virus in to the puter before or after the install causeing all of this for you.
Good luck and sorry to hear it

Old 08-20-2008, 06:23 PM
Photobucket

If I got a virus before then Norton didn't stop it, because this computer has been protected by Norton since day one. My subscription was up so I upgraded from Internet Security to 360. There are known issues with xp and vista with some of the service packs and Norton (it's on Norton's website) that can affect the registry, however I don't have the service pack thathas beenthe problem.

I know where the malware came from, it came from the download the friend did, because it loaded right there. From what I understand, neither Norton nor AVG will stop malware.
And I'm thinking I did the scan prior to installing like the instructions said, but at this point, I'm not sure.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:26 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Congrats on getting your 'puter back working. I had a virus take over my 'puter a little over a year ago, and had to start over. Had to reformat the hard drive. The real kick in the head was, since Windows came preloaded onto the system with no backup copy to start over from, I had to go purchase a full version of Windows XP.

Ain't doing the Vista thing. Don't care for it.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:27 PM
Photobucket

ok, try this again dang it.

If I had the virus before then Norton didn't stop it. This computer has been protected by Norton since day one. I upgraded from Norton Internet Security to 360 because my subscription was almost up. There are known issues with 360 and some xp and vista service packs that affect the registry key(it's on Norton's website) however, I do not have the service pack that has been the problem.

I know where the malware came from, it came in the download from the friend. It loaded right there, then hell broke loose. But from what I understand Norton nor AVG would've blocked the malware.

Now if this doesn't post I'm gonna scream.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:30 PM
Taz

15 Year Member

Oh yeah...

I've been using McAfee Internet Security Suite.

A co-worker told me about an issue he ran into with Norton having a file with the same name as one of Window's system files. And when he installed Norton, it messed up his windows.
Can't remember which file it was though.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:34 PM
Taz

15 Year Member

Becky, you got the Internal Server Error too?

When I clicked OK for my first post, it gave me the Server Error. I thought, "Sh*t!!! This again?". But apparantly it posted anyway. Didn't have to re-type it. I don't get it.

Hey Mickey, how about sending the wife over to fix this site's server. LOL.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:57 PM
Photobucket

Yes, I did Taz, LOL, and dang it, it's there twice now. Oh well, I'll leave it, one might get eaten.

I think I'll "copy" all my posts so I can just paste them in when they don't post the first twenty times.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:34 PM
Taz

15 Year Member
Default Re: Ive had computer problems lately

Space suggested the same thing. I must be doing something wrong. Because when I highlight my text and right click, it doesn't give me the option to copy. Only select all and paste.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:42 PM
Photobucket
Default RE: Re: Ive had computer problems lately

Same here. But you can highlight, then go to edit in the tool bar, click it, and it'll give you the copy option. Use that one

Quick Reply: I've had computer problems lately