Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

iPhone5 Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 06:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Lightbulb iPhone5 Question

Hey everyone I have an iphone 5 and it has a defect and I am going to take it to the Apple Store in a day or two for a new replacement of it as it is still under its 1 year warranty. My question is about wiping the data totally from my phone. I hear so many people say make sure they totally wipe your phone clean or else anyone who has some skills can go through the phone when they resell it and can have access to a lot of your old personal data stored on the phone. I have used my iphone to pay bills online and numerous other things. How do I go about completely erasing all of this. I've been told simply setting it back to the factory settings like when it first came out of the box isn't enough. I just don't want the Apple people to say they completely wiped it clean when they didn't just because they want me out of the store and onto the next customer.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:23 PM
10 Year Member

Anyone? I would have thought that Space would have given some feedback by now. Come on Space help me figure this out.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:09 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

I'm not real familiar with the iPhone, but I would assume there is a way to do a 'hard' reset. If I reset my (Windows) phone it completely wipes it clean and restores everything back to default as if it were a brand new phone.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:21 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Mike:
Of course were able to do that thru Zune...

Doesn't the I phone use I cloud? Maybe it has the same kinda setup like zune for a hard reset?

Not familiar with the "I" phones...
I too have the windows phone.... In November im up for an upgrade....
I'm changing to the new galaxy Android phone.... Soooo many more free apps available unlike all the NON Compatible Apps I need that the windows phone "ISN'T" compatible with!

Old 10-01-2013, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Griffindor
Anyone? I would have thought that Space would have given some feedback by now. Come on Space help me figure this out.

Hi `Griff,
I did not check your thread question, because I don't have a cell phone or a iphone5.

I do have Google's & the below is what I've found...I hope it helps you > Good Luck

3 Ways to Clear History on an iPhone - wikiHow
www.wikihow.com › ... › Internet › Internet Browsers › Safari Browser‎
This article will show you how to clear your iPhone browsing history for a number of ... 5. Go private. For browsing without leaving a history, or cookies and data, ...
iPhone 5 How to Clear Browsing History - YouTube

► 1:28► 1:28

Oct 2, 2012 - Uploaded by Inam Ghafoor
If you've been looking at naughty internet websites on your shiny new Apple iPhone 5 and want to know how ...
How to Access and Clear Your iPhone's Web Browsing History - For ...

www.dummies.com/.../how-to-access-and-clear-your-iphones-web-brow...

How to Access and Clear Your iPhone's Web Browsing History. You may want to revisit a Web site that you failed to bookmark on your iPhone, and Safari on the ...
How do you clear iPhone history?: Apple Support Communities
discussions.apple.com › iPhone › Using iPhone › Discussions

May 15, 2013 - How do I clear my history so they no longer show up? ... tap Settings > Safari > Clear Cookies and Data; iOS 5 or later: To clear other stored ...
How do I clear "other" effecting iphone...: Apple Support ... Sep 25, 2013
how do you clear your maps history?: Apple Support Communities Sep 19, 2012
How to clear Google search history: Apple Support Communities Oct 1, 2008
Clear Google Searches on the iPhone?: Apple Support Communities Jul 12, 2008
More results from discussions.apple.com
Steps to clear complete iPhone 5 history? - ThinkiOS

How do you clear iPhone history?: Apple Support Communities

Last edited by Space; 10-01-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:08 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
Mike:
Of course were able to do that thru Zune...
David, the reset I'm talking about has nothing to do with Zune. In my settings I can command the phone to do a hard reset that formats the memory chip and returns all settings on the phone to default.

Griffindor, Try this:

How can I completely erase all personal data from / reset my iPhone? | The iPhone FAQ

Old 10-01-2013, 12:11 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That is the method I used for wiping an old iPod touch for sale. When you turned it on for the first time, it went through the whole registration process, so I believe it's the best method.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:57 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
David, the reset I'm talking about has nothing to do with Zune. In my settings I can command the phone to do a hard reset that formats the memory chip and returns all settings on the phone to default.

Griffindor, Try this:

How can I completely erase all personal data from / reset my iPhone? | The iPhone FAQ
Mike:
You must have the newer model..
Mine the Nokia 900... It doesn't have that in my settings..
I would have to reset mine thru Zune..