Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Installation of HID/Halo/Projector Lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 02:12 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Installation of HID/Halo/Projector Lights

Some members have asked me about the HID/Halo/Projector headlamps.

They are a 35 watt (wish now I had gotten a 50 watt system) 10,000 k system (They glow a light blue)

I got a pair for the Deuce. Appearance wise they look good. I did have an issue installing them though. The dust caps on the low beam light that has the HID bulbs did not have enough clearance to allow adjustment of the head lamp.

I broke the dust caps on my new set before I realized this. What I did is drill a hole in my old dust caps directly in back of where the HID bulb would be and pushed the HID lead though the hole and used a runner grommet to seal it. They fit perfect now. Not sure how they will be at night yet will let you know as soon as I do. I would have returned the set but I had already attached a $50 buck (with shipping) 19 inch white LED Plasmaglow strip to it.

The lead had been channeled though the side of the dust cap and excess wire jus crammed under the cap by the manufacturer. I have no pictures now but will after the Deuce is back from the paint shop and all completed and cleaned I'll post all of my mods I have done this spring.

I got the HID/Halo/projector lights from Pro tuning Labs. At first they pretended to be helpful but then gave me the runaround I even had brought a 1 year warranty for extra cost

the site
06-12 Chevy Impala Dual Halo & LED Projector Headlights

If you buy the lights be prepared to have to modify the dust cap (not a hard job with a Dremel) the rubber grommet was included with the lights.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:53 PM

I was wondering what bulb thos eprojector headlights use. My projectors use the small H1U bulbs and I can't fin any HID bulbs to fit them. Plus, how did you hook up the wiring harness to the factory headlight connection? My wiring harness is a 9006 connector, but the stock harness is a flat connector.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:09 PM

Sorry to hear about the problems with them. That is very unfortunate. I hate when people cant stand behind their own product and help out. I didnt realize there was such thing as 50watt HID. I thought it was just 35watt and 55watt.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:33 PM

TRS makes a 50W hid ballast

Old 05-01-2013, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member

Rebel the conector was actuallty plug and play no altration nessary

Old 05-01-2013, 07:52 PM

what company did you get the HID's from? My HID bulb will not fit the ebay projector housings due to it being such a small socket. How are yours? big enough to run DDM tuning's H1 bulbs?

Old 05-02-2013, 06:03 AM
5 Year Member

Pro Tuning Labs but I do not recommend them ....I got the lights working now no help to them. The bulb type was not specified other than being 10000k and 35 watt

Old 05-14-2013, 08:35 PM

I've been wanting to do the projector retrofit for a while. I see the lights you have on the deuce are the same as the ones on the green monte in this video:

What stood out to me on the green monte was the projector housing was painted to match the car. This is something I wanted to do when I actually get the time to do my retrofit, I haven't seen it on any other montes so I thought I'd share (Also all mirrors are painted to match car, also nice touch!)

Old 05-15-2013, 06:25 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by brewcitymc
I've been wanting to do the projector retrofit for a while. I see the lights you have on the deuce are the same as the ones on the green monte in this video:

Street Commandments / Bigg Dogg Customs Outrageous Monte Carlo SS's - YouTube

What stood out to me on the green monte was the projector housing was painted to match the car. This is something I wanted to do when I actually get the time to do my retrofit, I haven't seen it on any other montes so I thought I'd share (Also all mirrors are painted to match car, also nice touch!)
I had thought of changing mine from black to red but got squeamish about taking them apart. Matt (06MonTSS) took his apart and changed them from satin black to gloss black to match his car color

Old 05-15-2013, 06:36 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Tadcaster
I had thought of changing mine from black to red but got squeamish about taking them apart. Matt (06mistreSS) took his apart and changed them from satin black to gloss black to match his car color
Tadd, you got my username wrong in your post.

As for the lights I just got done doing for mine, they weren't all that hard to take apart and reinstall, however it is tedious work and you have to be VERY careful and be patient. Tadd, I would be willing to do the work on your lights if you would like that done someday and I have the time to work on them. I feel better about doing that now that I did the work on mine. I still have that second pair of headlights I'm trying to figure out what to do with.

Last edited by 06mistreSS; 05-15-2013 at 06:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Installation of HID/Halo/Projector Lights