Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Inspiration. What made you a car buff?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 10:48 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Inspiration. What made you a car buff?

I recently noticed the cartoon style avatar of one of our new members that reminded me of the cartoon style hot rod drawings from magazines of the 60's I admired as a kid. You know the kind...super exaggerated fire breathing motors and huge wrinkled tires. Pondering those images made me wonder if that is what expanded my imagination, and inspired my interest as a car buff. How about you? What got you hooked? Match box or Hot Wheel cars? Pine wood derby?

BTW...My next door neighbor's son-in-law builds Mad Max tribute cars for a living. He was featured in the first episode of the television show "Junkyard Empire". He's "Troy" in the following video:

Last edited by plumbob; 03-19-2016 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:54 AM

As bad as it sounds, the original fast and furious came out when I was in high school right around the time I got a car.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:59 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Have to say my dad got me hooked a very young age. He had a Buick Special belive it was about a 1958 or 59

I was about 4, he would sit me up on the fender of that big old car my feet dangling into the engine compartment. He laid out an array of tools on a carpet on the fender. As he worked he would ask for a tool and I would try to hand him the one he wanted, as he explained what he was doing.

My first car was a 1962 Comet that I brought off my grand mother for $50 bucks (Grand mom was going to give it to me but dad insisted I pay for it. He told me I would appreciate it more.)

I learned a lot about cars from him. He passed back in 92. When I go to car shows I can still feel him with me.

Once we visited Tucson where dad is buried. We had rented a 2010 Camaro SS. Wife and I just could not find his grave site. We went to the office to ask the location.

The lady said "sit down this will take a while, there are lots of records to look at"
She came back almost right away and asked "Was your dad expecting you? His card was pulled up from the files in plain sight" The hair on everyone's neck in the office stood up.

Ronda said "He must have known Tadd was driving a Camaro and wanted to get a closer look"

Anyway a true story that brings a smile to me every time I think about it.

Old 03-19-2016, 11:11 AM

Hi `Bob, super thread question for the MCF
Thanks for posting

I became a car buff when Grandpa Space or several of the Beach Bum Senior would take the Bum's to Car shows and to the Drags.

Plus, always working on boat engines & Grandpa Space's GMC pick up truck & his Van. Then we got connected to the Web in our teens & WoW..We got to see super rides from everywhere. I just love all types of vehicles and admire the creator's of them.

Thanks again.. I look 4ward to reading the member's post on this subject/topic...

Old 03-19-2016, 01:35 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I got hooked on cars because of my Dad. He built street rods from the frame up and I was always hanging out with him and his friends doing things on their cars. I learned so much from those guys!!!
I sure wish he was still around to see what I have done to my cars. Before he passed away, he did get to see one of my races on Skype and he was SOOO excited!!!! Wish he could have been there in person. Would have loved to see the smile on his face!!!
But now he can see me race every time I go to the track and he is up there making sure I stay safe. I have a my very own racing guardian angel!!

Old 03-19-2016, 01:46 PM

Thanks `Barbara for posting your reason. I'm glad that
you believe (I do 2)...I enjoyed your post

Flag waving racing Angel Pin | eBay

Race Car Guardian Angel Gifts & Merchandise | Race Car Guardian Angel Gift Ideas & Apparel - CafePress

Old 03-19-2016, 02:01 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I DO believe and when it is my turn to leave this earth..I believe I will have many to be watching over!!!

Old 03-19-2016, 02:11 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

So great to see how parents have been such a positive influence on our young lives.
When I was eight years old I wanted to build a top fuel dragster. With help from my dad and uncle, I settled for a go cart with 1 h.p. motor instead... lol, but had just as much fun.

Old 03-19-2016, 02:15 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Not sure really, i was always into cars growing up, parents would sometimes take me to car shows. I bought a 97 monte, found this forum, got an 04 and then really got into shows and what not. Pretty much eat sleep and breathe cars lol.