Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: If I had to choose, I would chose the
Chevy Cruze
25.93%
Ford Focus
11.11%
VW Jetta
11.11%
Hyundai’ Elantra
14.81%
Mazda 3
0%
I'd rather Walk b-4 I would buy one : )
18.52%
I don't fit in one of those compacts : )
18.52%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

If you had 2 drive one ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 07:05 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question If you had 2 drive one ?

Hi Member's,
If you had to drive one of the below 5 compact
tested cars ?
Which one would you choose ?
Please post & let us know `ok
Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------
2011 Chevy Cruze vs. 2012 Ford Focus and Three More Compacts - Comparison Tests

Startup Sedans: Five perfectly respectable rides for up-and-comers establish a new standard for compact sedans.

BY JARED GALL, PHOTOGRAPHY BY MARC URBANO
April 2011
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 Photos

In This Story
  • Introduction

Second: 2011 Mazda 3 s Sport
First: 2012 Ford Focus SEL
<!-- /buyers-guide -->Downloads

Final Results Scoring

<!-- /Downloads -->

<TABLE class=default border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=227><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Even if two weeks’ worth of Maruchan ramen drains your savings account, there’s something about a rusting mid-’90s Accord on sagging springs that fails to inspire confidence among financial backers or real-estate agents. And when you and the missus are just starting out, you feel that need to be taken seriously more acutely than most. There are certainly cheaper new cars than the group gathered here, but—wrong as it may be—“cheap” is the only reputation many B-segment cars have.
Fortunately, respectability is booming among compact sedans as the class itself matures alongside its target customers. All five of the cars gathered here are new within the last two years, with the Hyundai Elantra, the Ford Focus, and the Volkswagen Jetta fresh off their debuts. And, while all five have entry prices of less than $17,000, an essential part of the startup mind-set is pretending you’ve already made it. We therefore checked out an example of each car possessing a sticker fiddled appropriately upmarket, with optional engines, automatic transmissions, and uplevel trims, landing them in the $23,000-to-$26,000 range. (Regrettably, there was no way to achieve stick-shift parity in this group.)
The elephant not in this room is the Honda Civic, a bestseller and all-around nice guy. Generation nine of Honda’s compact wonder was on the verge of introduction as this was written and thus unavailable for our testing, but watch for a mano a mano between the Honda and the winner of this comparo in an upcoming issue.
For now, our reigning segment champion is the Mazda 3, which prevailed over a Kia Forte and a Volkswagen Golf in a previous comparo . Newish last year, the 3 rides on a platform largely unchanged from the car that was introduced in 2004. Not a problem, we said, naming it to our 10Best list for 2010.
On sale in Europe for two years already, the Chevrolet Cruze is actually older than the 3, but it is newer to the U.S. market. It rides on a platform that shares virtually nothing with its predecessor—a good start. In replacing the Cobalt, the Cruze had small shoes to fill, and it has positively exploded their seams. In our first test, we said, “a Cruze, in a comparison test right now, might very well win.”
<TABLE class=default border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=533><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Ford’s 2012 Focus, like the Cruze, is the result of a domestic automaker exploiting a global platform. In this case, “global” means the Focus was developed by a crew in Germany and will be sold, with only minor variations, just about everywhere but the International Space Station (the destination and delivery charge would be prohibitively steep). The car’s underpinnings are similar to those of the European Focus for which we’ve pined ever since our last-gen Focus was haphazardly warmed over in 2005 (and again in 2008). A hatchback is available, but we tapped a sedan for this test.

Hyundai’s Elantra is also brand-new. Once a tinny, cheap emblem of automotive desperation, the 2011 Elantra arrives on the scene with a glut of features and a sense of style that hardly existed anywhere in the sedan market 10 years ago, let alone in such an affordable class. Whether or not we like the look (most of us do), we respect that Hyundai dove into the deep end; with the exception of the Focus, nothing else here comes even close to having such a cohesive look

Rounding out the roster is the VW Jetta. Having failed to attract a suitable sales base as a semi-premium car—with pricing and content halfway between the compact and mid-size classes—the Jetta is now embracing the austerity it once tried to live above. Alongside a big bump in interior volume, the 2011 VW gets a substantial price cut, thanks to the addition of a don’t-go-anywhere-near-it base model with an overmatched 115-hp, 2.0-liter four-cylinder. But any Jetta equipped with the more desirable 2.5-liter inline-five still carries a premium of at least a thousand bucks more than the entry-level prices of the four other cars here. The enlarged Jetta now takes direct aim at the heart of the segment. But that heart is beating stronger than ever.Continued...<~ click

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 Photos

Last edited by Space; 05-17-2011 at 07:13 AM.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:12 AM

if i had to choose i would take the cruze, mainly because its a chevy

Old 05-17-2011, 07:23 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member

Too-Tall here wouldn't even consider any of these compact choices.

Like walking past a sale on Levis at Macys - nothing will fit, so why bother.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:34 AM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

I can't choose cause I wouldn't want to drive any of them.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:46 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

The Cruze, for sure! I actually think they are pretty nice little cars. They are pretty roomie inside too, you would probably be surprised.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by AwesomeSS
I can't choose cause I wouldn't want to drive any of them.
...LOL `Amy, but if you had 2 choose one...
Example, you were @ a rental counter & needed a car & above is all that they had ? IF U HAD TO CHOOSE ? ? ? ?
Which ONE ?

Old 05-17-2011, 09:34 AM

I narrowed it down to a choice between the Focus and the Elantra, but in the end I went with the Elantra because it has the best warranty of the 2 cars and has more contemporary styling, IMO. I like the interior of the Focus and the Sync feature, though.

I didn't choose the Cruze for a few reasons:

1) It doesn't offer as good a warranty as the Hyundai Elantra
2) Despite the fact that it seems to be marketed toward younger buyers, so far all I've seen driving them are older (older than me, actually) people. There's a guy in my neighborhood who must be in his 70s who traded in his Cobalt for a Cruze.
3) The styling is kind of conservative and bland. It just doesn't have a very sporty or athletic appearance to me. That stupid chrome bar on the trunk makes it look too formal, like the Cadillac DTS or Impala. And you can't even see the tailpipe on it, so how could you add a nice tip to it?
4) Hasn't there already been a recall for the Cruze related to a steering defect?

Last edited by myfirstbowtie; 05-17-2011 at 11:50 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:46 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Id have to say the Elantra mainly cuz ive already driven one lol

Old 05-17-2011, 10:52 AM

I am with Michael, they are all nice cars. For me though I would have to drive them before I decided which one I liked.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:32 AM
rj
15 Year Member

I'll be the first to admit that Furd is doing some good things in the design dept.

BUT. I will NOT drive a: "FoFo." (Furd Focus)

So if I have to choose one of the selections. I guess it'd be the Cruse.

Quick Reply: If you had 2 drive one ?