Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

I need some exhaust opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 05:22 PM
1 Year Member
Default I need some exhaust opinions

Hey everyone, so my first mod to the Mustang is going to be an exhaust. I'm planning on just doing an axle back for now unless for a little more money I can do a cat back. The nice thing with the mustang is it has 2.5" piping all the way back so unless you go forced induction there isn't much of a need to go with a cat back since you won't really see any power gains. And I like the sound of the stock H-pipe vs the x-pipe so I think just going with an axle back will free up a little more power since it won't be as restrictive and it will weigh less.

So here are my top choices that I'm having a hard time choosing between. I'll give a reason why I'm looking at it and then let you listen to it.

Number 1 - Flowmaster outlaw series

It's more of a resonated tube then a muffler so it's louder then a traditional chambered muffler or bullet muffler (I want something on the louder side) but it's not going to be over the top like straight pipes will be.

Number 2 - Borla S-type (stinger)

This is a bullet style muffler and is probably the most common if not on of the most common mufflers that I have read about on these cars. It is one of the deeper sounding mufflers but it sounds a lot more tame then other mufflers do (at least on video).

SLP loudmouth muffler delete

This is by far the craziest of the 3. It is a muffler delete kit that replaces the muffler with pipe and has a massive resonated tip to help keep popping down. It is the loudest by far but from what I have read it isn't obnoxious and has a decent sound unlike other muffler delete kits.

I tried to find videos where the axle back was the only thing changed (which is hard to do lol) these were the best quality ones I could really find. I'm leaning towards the Flowmaster Outlaw but I would like other peoples opinions.

Last edited by iMuf; 03-04-2014 at 05:24 PM. Reason: //
Old 03-04-2014, 06:02 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm a very old school kinda guy...

If it was me and I owned a Mustang...

The bets sound ever heard out of one in my opinion... Has always been Cherry Bombs.. With fords fireing order... It has one awesome sound!

Dodge also has a unique fireing order that cherry bombs sound great on!

I'm talking Cherry Bombs Chambered Mufflers... But Glass packs would sound awesome too!

Here is the kick *** sound I think you should go with!

Old 03-04-2014, 06:10 PM
1 Year Member

You just had to go and make the decision harder lol

Old 03-04-2014, 06:16 PM

5 Year Member

Originally Posted by iMuf
You just had to go and make the decision harder lol
In My opinion....

Its the "ONLY" decision!

Old 03-04-2014, 06:21 PM
1 Year Member

It does sound really good. I still think I like the tone of the Flowmaster a little more. It's a little deeper at least compared to the Cherry bomb chambered mufflers. I'll have to see how glass packs would sound

Last edited by iMuf; 03-04-2014 at 06:21 PM. Reason: //
Old 03-04-2014, 06:25 PM

5 Year Member

It does sound really good. I still think I like the tone of the Flowmaster a little more. It's a little deeper at least compared to the Cherry bomb chambered mufflers. I'll have to see how glass packs would sound
You tube has plenty of videos on Glass packs....

But I believe the cherry bomb extreme chambered muffler is the only way to go!... with glass packs theres plenty of interior droneing..that is always very undesireable...

Theres no droneing with the extreme chambered muffler...

Just a little FYI...

Old 03-04-2014, 07:05 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My fiance had an 06 GT and he put axle back Flowmasters on and sounded amazing (the one with the black mufflers - not sure of the model - I think American Thunder.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:07 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by AwesomeSS
My fiance had an 06 GT and he put axle back Flowmasters on and sounded amazing (the one with the black mufflers - not sure of the model - I think American Thunder.
Was it a chambered or bullet style muffler? I think the american thunder's are black chambered mufflers and then they have the hushpower and outlaw series are bullet and resonator style mufflers.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:13 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Was it a chambered or bullet style muffler? I think the american thunder's are black chambered mufflers and then they have the hushpower and outlaw series are bullet and resonator style mufflers.
this - chambered...
Flowmaster American Thunder Mustang Axle-Back Exhaust 17410 (05-10 GT, GT500) - Free Shipping

Old 03-04-2014, 07:27 PM
1 Year Member

Those sound pretty good as well. Not quite as deep as I want it to sound though.

Quick Reply: I need some exhaust opinions