Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

I hope obama is makin friends.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 08:19 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default I hope obama is makin friends.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20110228/wl_csm/366331

Moscow – The graying bear is getting a make-over. Russia's military is launching its biggest rearmament effort since Soviet times, including a $650 billion program to procure 1,000 new helicopters, 600 combat planes, 100 warships, and 8 nuclear-powered ballistic missile submarines.

And we cant even get a new line of jets.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:34 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Their "modern stuff" 20 years ago was about the same technological state as our stuff from the 1960's....

Old 03-01-2011, 08:52 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Personally, I don't think the U.S. has anything to worry about with the Russians. They have other problems to deal with. With all the terrorist groups out there targetting major cities all over the world, Russia would be crazy to think it can't happen to them too. Plus their own problems with break-away republics.

Besides, they got a taste for McDonald's and Playboy now. They're sold on the niceties of western culture.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:20 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Lmao!

Old 03-01-2011, 09:57 PM

Hahahaha, great post Taz.

Good read.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:34 AM

Don't Worry `EnZo Brock

What was the `question ? Oh, yes we can I think ?
Please tell me your problem, cause we aren't listening..
Contact us anytime, we won't be home.
We shall overcome all problems, or
just ignore them.
Taz, where's my playboy mag's
What do U mean, Bill Clinton stole them ?
Ok, what were we talking about ?
Oh, When is the next party ?
Who wants to go 4 a ride on Air Force 1 while we
still have fuel
"Don't Worry ~> Be Happy"
Ignorance is `Bliss
4-Sure

Old 03-02-2011, 07:29 AM

the last arms race made both sides pretty much a economist power house. amarica became strong as in the economy so did russia after comunist rageme fell. the last i looked russia has alot of ships and wepons in disrepair. and they didnt have enough people in the military to maintane its wepons like ships and tanks and things like that. russa had a lot of time to rebound from the lack of money to continue to compete with us in the arms race. now the roles are exchanged we are needing reforms to make a come back with our economy so we can make a come back like russia

Old 03-02-2011, 08:32 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Most of these countries that are rising like this too are using America's model and trying to improve upon it. American economists went into Russia after the collapse of hte USSR in 1991. China's, Taiwan, South Korea, and Thailand use an American-free market-capitalist system as well. (well, China is a weird one... they're becoming capitalist though... Mao Zedong and his policies nearly took the country back to the stone age) The thing is, they're growing so rapidly because they've adopted our system, and once they reach roughly the same economic well being that we have reached, they will most likely level off. They will have their booms and busts just like we have. That Dubai place out in the middle east was looking to be the next wolrd power house too... the place that's building all the really tall buildings, palm tree and world islands off its coast... yeah, well now no one in the world will buy their debts, they've been dumped on the markets, and their islands are sinking. Way to go, boys!

Old 03-02-2011, 06:28 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Cowboy6622
, and their islands are sinking. Way to go, boys!
Those man-made, palm tree shaped islands are sinking? Really? I remember seeing them on one of those extreme engineering type shows on the Discovery Channel a while back. Bragging how they were the greatest feats of engineering, or something like that. That's funny.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:58 AM
rj
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Taz
Those man-made, palm tree shaped islands are sinking? Really? I remember seeing them on one of those extreme engineering type shows on the Discovery Channel a while back. Bragging how they were the greatest feats of engineering, or something like that. That's funny.
What I heard, too.

Quick Reply: I hope obama is makin friends.