Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

i feel like hyundai wishes they were mercedes?

Old 09-13-2011, 02:17 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default i feel like hyundai wishes they were mercedes?

i know that car companys do steal somethings from eachother. but Hyundai does it alot. and the reason that it bothers me is because if people cant afford a mercedes they buy these hyundais and still act like theyre mercedes. idk! whats your input? correct me if im wrong! haha.

^04 Sonata

^03 Benz

^2010 Sonata

^09 Benz

Were they joint at some point?

Last edited by Mr.Monte; 09-13-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:26 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Naah i dont really think they are tryin to be, most car companys are goin for crazy styles so theres bound to be some thqt look similar

Old 09-13-2011, 02:30 PM

Yea, that's what it seems like, considering the Hyundai Genesis looks like a bit like the MB S-Class:

Hyundai Genesis:

MB S-Class:

Old 09-13-2011, 02:42 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That's the point though. Mercedes does luxury and it does it very well. If you mimic it for half the price. Everyone will flock to it.

Hyundai and Kia have really stepped up their game in the past 5 years. They don't even seem like the same company's anymore.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:52 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
That's the point though. Mercedes does luxury and it does it very well. If you mimic it for half the price. Everyone will flock to it.

Hyundai and Kia have really stepped up their game in the past 5 years. They don't even seem like the same company's anymore.
thats a very good point, i never thought of it like that. they honestly dont even seem like the same companys. its kinda weird how much theyve changed. i still dont like Kia ! ill stick to only american cars!

thanks for the feedback you guys

Old 09-13-2011, 02:58 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member

wow never noticed how much alike they are. I supose its like everything in this world, make a cheap knock off of something expensive and nice and people will ****** it up faster than fresh air.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:26 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member

Toyota did this with the Ford Taurus for years....

Yeah, if you can't establish a name for yourself, piggy back on someone else!!!

Old 09-13-2011, 06:40 PM

I feel its a great thing they have come along way with their cars and they look damn good too !

Old 09-13-2011, 09:18 PM
Default Credit Due and a Prediction.

First off I give credit where credit is due. Hyundai has credit due them in a big way. I will tell you what I know about Hyundai. First off the company is huge. Remember when we could say that about General Motors? Hyundai is into building heavy trucks, trailers, shipping containers, heavy construction equipment, and I think ships. They are also into banking and finance. Hyundai has been exporting cars into Canada beginning in 1983 with the Pony longer than the US. Hyundai started exporting cars into the US in 1986. They started with one model in the US, the Hyundai Excel. It was available either as a 2 door or 4 door sedan with a trunk or a hatchback. They were front wheel drive and used a Mitsubishi engine. The weakest part of the car was the engine. I lived in Vermont and worked in a salvage yard when these were new. Vermonters are very frugal when it comes to cars because of the climate and the road salt, cars have a very short life span. The body shops and car dealers were picking the excels up at the salvage auctions and rebuilding them for resale as quickly as they could. They could be bought cheap, fixed cheap, and still brought a decent profit as a rebuilt. Need less to say a lot of pieces and parts came thru the salvage yard at the end of the rebuild. Incredibly these were very well engineered bodies. I could not believe how well. The Excell was replaced by the Accent which is still around. Hyundai in the mid 90's decided to enter the. Mid size car market with the Sonata. The first Sonata didn't sell that well but they learned and the second generation was better. Hyundai decided that they could build a car that fit between the Accent and the Sonata and so the Elantra was born. Hyundai as a car company keeps growing and growing. A few years ago Kia also a Korean automaker was having hard times and was most likely going to file bankruptcy and was acquired by Hyundai. Hyundai is now expanding into the luxury car market. Hyundai has done this while at the same time General Motors closed Oldsmobile and opened Saturn. Chrysler closed Plymouth and Ford closed Mercury. All three brands said they could not build a competitive car and make a profit. GM has since closed Saturn and Pontiac. Hyundai built cars in the market that Plymouth, Oldsmobile, and Saturn were working. Hyundai has come a long way in under thirty years selling cars in the US.
Now the prediction: Toyota knocked General Motors off the throne as the largest auto maker. A title GM will never hold again. Hyundai will knock Toyota from that throne in the next twenty years.
Hyundai looks like a Mercedes and the resemblance is intentional just like the 02 Elantra. Resembled a BMW. Hyundai will be in every major category and will do it better

Last edited by mousehousemoparman; 09-14-2011 at 01:26 AM.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:32 PM

Hyundai never had any association with Mercedes Benz that I am aware of. They were smarter than Chrysler and therefore didn't get screwed over like Chrysler did. I hope Chrysler survives that and the takeover by Fiat.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: i feel like hyundai wishes they were mercedes?