Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

That Hurt...

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 06:18 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- December 2007
Default That Hurt...

Identity theft hit home today. I got a phone call from the wife, "I tried to use our debit card to get gas and it said we didn't have any money." WHAT! I check our bank online to find a $2800 eATM, on 1/11/2008. Son of a gun... Called the wife, and told her go to the bank and see what this is... She calls me about an hour later, our account is $1,200 overdrawn, and we owe $250 in fees. I leave work and rush to the bank, and onmy way contact our attorney (I pay for this legal service $3.99 a week - payroll deduction).

Bank says, it is an authorized withdrawal and they are not responsible, therefore are not covering the loss.My attorney says there is nothing he can do unless the person is caught. So I Freeze my account, contact the mortage company, gas stations, and local stores of the problem and explain I will cover the debts, plus their fees. So I run around this afternoon doing that...

Ok... I'm nowbroke... had to borrow money to cover some of the debts and fees...

Here is the thing... I was never rich, but we had enough to pay our bills and always had a little left over to cover miscellanious needs... Now we get to fight our way out of this unplanned situation.

But I'm not going to worry... I put it all in God's hand and we will be fine... Its funny... cause I'm not even mad... disappointed... but not mad. I'mthankful it was not worse! Right now, I just feel whooped, no energy...

Well... I feel better just getting it off my chest... Now, I can scrumple it up, throw it away, and let it go!

Old 01-16-2008, 06:34 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: That Hurt...

wow.... hope they hunt down whoever did that for you.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:37 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hi Craig.
Glad to hear it wasn't any worse. The salesman that my dad bought his car from back in october had his identity stolen, but wasn't as lucky as you. Had all his accounts drained, multiple credit cards opened in his name and max'ed out. The whole works. Got the police and lawyers involved, and luckily the banks and lending companies co-operated with him. He wasn't responsible for the debts they created, and got most of his money back but at a cost.

He said no more on-line purchases, ebanking, or ATM'sfor him. He's glad to stand in line at the bank now. And if/when he gets a credit card, he's setting it up so that a photo ID will be needed for every purchase.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:40 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

in NC you are only responsible for $50 of the damage done when your identity is stolen... but you got to file a police report within like 48 hours

Old 01-16-2008, 06:46 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Bank says, it is an authorized withdrawal and they are not responsible, therefore are not covering the loss.

Find a new bank?????????

My wise g/f bought some cleaner off the net and gave out her checking account number to the people she bought this cleaner from. Problem is.......... she never got the cleaner she purchased and her checking account soon became overdrawn. Her bank says the person who tookher money+ the extra claimed to be from California and purchased a singles online dating account. She got the bank to stand behind her and they gave her money back to her with no overdrawn fees. They even changed her account number. But they never closed the old account number so this dude did it again to her. This time IT WAS the bank's fault and they admitted to it. (I happen to be friends with the bank president and should have got this girl fired who failed to do her job)

But the person who used the account number either sold it or used it to open an account with DHL and shipped black market stuff from Baltimore, MD to Nigeria, Africa.

DHL send her a bill for $550. She called them explained her identity had been stolen. They said they'd take care of it. Not long after she gets another bill from them. She calls DHL and tells them she has no reason to travel to Maryland as there's a DHL not 5 miles from us. And she's never even been to Maryland in her life. They say they'll take care of it. A time later she get's a new bill from DHL for more money this time. Now they claim she owes them over $1100 and they want their money. She explains again how things went, they say they'll take carew of it. They sure did. They turned the account over to a collection agency. Now the bill is $1500.

So she had to get a lawyer. So far he got DHL and the collection agency off her back plus they had to restore her credit rating.

But I'd look in to another bank if it were me. They are suppose to protect you in cases like this.

And make sure............ you file a police report.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:58 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- December 2007

I really thought that the bank was go to step up or that the attorney would do something to make them step up...But that was not the case... I simply don't get it!FDIC Insuranced...

Edited Add... MAN! EVERYBODY is telling me their bank stepped up! I'm not getting this at ALL!!!

Old 01-16-2008, 07:07 PM

man im sorry to hear this.
The good news is i can learn threw you on this i was like you arefdic insurrerd. i would expect them to take up for me as a custumer on this type of thing.

Sorry again to hear this.

I hate thievs. just cut thier @#^&%#$ hands off at the shoulders and be done with them.
Liers also. [:@][:@][:@]

Old 01-16-2008, 07:21 PM

Sorry to hear about this Craig,

Not sure if it helps, or if your insurance company does this, but my homeowner's insurance gave me the option to protect against identity theft. They added like 25 bucks to my yearly premium, and if I have identity theft they take care of EVERYTHING, I just have to make 1 phone call, to my agent.
Erie Insurance, by the way.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:27 PM

man thats FUBAR

thats so much bs that they wont cover it. i say screw that bank let them suffer your loses and move on

Old 01-16-2008, 07:31 PM

Wow man that bites. Id go to the media myself.. Put the bank in the hot seat then watch them twitch under pressure!!!

Quick Reply: That Hurt...