Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

? How do you deal with `Stress ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 07:31 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question ? How do you deal with `Stress ?

: Hey Member, how do you deal with Stress ?
: Well, first thing I `do is not read any of `Space's Post >4-Sure
=============================================

Hi Member's,
How do you deal with Stress in your life ? (Post/Share)`OK

In this fast paced-uncertain World it's can be difficult to handle all the pressures that one encounter's while trying to survive.

There are many illnesses directly related to stress. If you don’t keep it under control, you could end up with heart disease, high blood pressure, ulcers, headaches, hives or even cancer!

Below are some tips that may help make your life journey easier to cope...Please add to this thread `if you can & help others. Wish everyone less stress & a Happy Life 4-Sure

How to Deal With Stress

Edited byCraig Burrows MBE and 72 others
<!--end article_inner-->

Life can be stressful; sometimes you'll have to deal with ongoing stress positively. Stress can have a variety of causes such as family problems, job problems, financial difficulties, poor health, mechanical breakdowns, false expectations or even the death of someone close to you. It is important to recognize the causes (some stress is natural), take steps to deal with the root of the problem and tackle the symptoms. Most importantly, don't battle alone — ask for help from a friend and, if necessary, a professional.

1. 1
    Take steps towards thinking more positively. This will help to re-establish some balance in your life.

• Stop and count your blessings. Write down even the simplest things such as: a roof over your head, a bed to sleep on, quality food, warmth, security or good health.
    • Say something positive to yourself as soon as you wake up every morning. This will keep your energy and mind focussed on positivity.
    • Use positive self-talk — reinforce your resolve through positive statements such as, "I can handle this, one step at a time," or "Since I've been successful with this before, there's no reason why I can't do it again".
    • Visualize positive things; this does not take long but can help you regain focus.
    • Treat your body right. Your body needs to be healthy, happy and properly fueled to help you tackle stress.
    • Drink water it is the best beverage and stay off alcohol which always adds to stress one way or another. Caffeine is also known to raise stress levels, so again it is best to drink water.
    • Eat a healthy breakfast and healthy snacks only. Your choice of food is very important when dealing with stress; stay away from sugary snacks and have unsalted nuts and fruit available.
    • Get fit. Exercise a little every day. This releases endorphins that can lower stress levels, also eat chocolate it also releases endorphins, but only in a small to moderate dosage.
    • Get enough sleep, and, if possible, get into regular sleeping habits.
  2. 2

Learn to relax.
    • Listen to calm and soft music. It really gets you relaxed and happy. Try listening to music with no vocals and pick music with instruments like the flute, piano, etc.
    • Lie down on a bed with your eyes closed for a few minutes. Try to let your mind go blank. You may eventually fall asleep if you are relaxed enough.
    • Take a bath this will give you private time and relax the body.
    • #* Practice deep relaxation, muscle relaxtion, and regularly schedule a day for relaxing.
  3. 3
    Be organised. Set goals for what you need to achieve that day, then write a "to do list". When writing your "to do list":

• Know your limits - Be realistic about what you can accomplish in a day.
    • Prioritize your tasks and work to finish them starting with the highest priority (urgent/important).
    • Do your most unpleasant or most difficult task at the beginning of the day when you are fresh, thereby avoiding the stress of last minute preparation. Procrastination feeds stress!
    • Emphasize quality in your work, rather than sheer quantity.
    • Schedule your day and your stress as this can reduce the number of stressors you must juggle at any one time. Stagger deadlines for large projects.
    • Add some "breathing" space that will allow you time for "recharging" and creative thinking. You will also be better prepared when an unanticipated task arrives. Too much logical and systematic thinking creates stress - you need to give that part of the brain a rest and stimulate the other parts of the brain.
    • Review your goals at the end of the day and think about everything you have achieved. This is cathartic and will help you sleep better. Check off the things that you accomplished on the "to do" list.
    • Know your limits and do not push yourself too hard or beat yourself up when you do not achieve your goals. Tomorrow is another day, start writing tomorrow's to-do-list before you lie down so that it is off your chest.
  4. 4
    Identify the things that put you under stress. Make sure you understand why you become stressed so that you can try to avoid these circumstances.
  5. 5
    Stop worrying about what you cannot change. This especially comes with things such as politics. Learning to accept things as they are is an important coping mechanism, but not as easy as it sounds.
  6. 6
    Take responsibility for making your life what you want it to be. It is less stressful to make decisions and take action than to feel powerless and react to other's decisions. Decide what you want and go for it!
  7. 7
    Rehearse (visualize) - When you know that you are going to face a stressful situation, rehearse how you are going to handle it. Picture yourself overcoming it successfully. Create a mental "videotape" that you can play over and over in your mind.
  8. 8
    Develop a sense of humour - One of the barriers to stress reduction is the temptation to take things too seriously. It's okay to back off from your intensity and see the humour in life's situations. Laugh a little or better yet, laugh a lot! See the humour in stress.
  9. 9
    Talk to friends. This is one of the most important things, as keeping things bottled up can only cause more stress.
  10. 10
    Learn to say no; you cannot do everything you are asked.
  11. 11
    Accept and appreciate the turmoil around you, without it there couldn't be anything you could call a good thing. Understand, that to feel frustration and anxiety only indicates your own humanity, and it's nothing to feel ashamed of.

OK, your turn to post some helpful tips...I would, but
I'm 2 stressed `out to continue

Last edited by Space; 08-30-2012 at 06:01 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:03 AM

I deal with stress by trying to remember what Space tells us about the haves and have-nots: that is, no matter how bad things seem for ME, I can usually think of someone who has it worse. For example, in winter when I'm worrying about the cost of heating the house I stop and remember that there are many, many people living in cardboard boxes on the streets of St. Louis.

Visualizing a favorite vacation spot is also helpful - I remember the warm feel of white sand on the beaches in Florida. Or how cool the air is under the tall pine trees in Michigan forests.

Most people have heard that having an animal around also helps reduce symptoms of stress: high blood pressure in particular. This is very true!

Old 08-28-2012, 08:08 AM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- June 2014
Monte Of The Month -- July 2016
10 Year Member

Yes listening to space always helps!!

getting out and Rock climbing/Ice climbing is a great way to release energy and just get away from the "Technology" world. Me and my Climbing partner leave our phones at the bottom of the wall and just climb. it's good to "Get Away" from everything.

Taking a cruise in the SS too!
Giving the SS a wash then taking her for a spin on a nice day, music up, sunroof open, just cruising feels great.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:10 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I usually go for a drive, work on a car, or cook

Old 08-28-2012, 08:29 AM

Thanks `Angie, `Devin & Mod `Mike for sharing & posting your thoughts & what you do..

I hope more member's share & know that they are not alone & that everyone has stress in their life. It's what we do with the stress that's matters.

I post thread subjects like this to help others & also remind myself on how to deal.

A stress-free person can enjoy life so much better + really enjoy driving their Monte Carlo's on their highways of life We only get one life & we never know when it will come to a Dead End...EnJoy your present of everyday - your Now.

What `if ? ? ? 4-Real ? ? EnJoy your Now
Signs Signs, Everywhere a Sign - YouTube < Click to hear & Read the Signs)
^ Click & sing along 2 relieve `Stress (LOL)
above `vid has some really funny signs (LOL)

Last edited by Space; 04-14-2013 at 08:32 AM.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:36 PM

I buy Monte Carlo diecasts! lol

Old 08-29-2012, 09:40 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

I either go workout if I haven't already done so that day, or I compile massive amounts of parts for my Monte on various websites, despite not having the intention of ever buying them all at once

But lately it's been working on my Monte. The Por15 process is pretty relaxing as long as I have some good music playing and Fedex/UPS delivers my parts on time

Old 08-29-2012, 10:14 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

As i have said before meditation is a great thing. Meditation can be any type of activity that lets your mind relax and have time off. It relaxes me to cut the grass or trim the weeds. just me and the hum of the lawnmower. I also like a nice hot shower. I think I would like a nice soak in a hottub or a sauna too but I dont have either.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:48 PM

Thanks `Member's for your post/words & what you are doing to relieve some stress in your life...You never know if your words will help someone & make their life better or less stressful ~> Thank You
Originally Posted by lougreen03
I think I would like a nice soak in a hottub or a sauna too but I dont have either.

LoL `Lou, a Hot Tube sounds great, but I think I would fall asleep in one & drown I would have to have a Space-Sitter `Ok a cute babysitter

^ above is the closest I've ever come to a Hot `TUB

My Grandpa Loves his Hot Tube, but he doesn't like people Look'in @ him

Last edited by Space; 08-30-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:13 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

How do I handle stress? Lately, not very well. But enough about me.

Quick Reply: ? How do you deal with `Stress ?