Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

How can I save this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 11:26 AM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member
Default How can I save this?

I don't understand how this has gotten so rough. It was the one of the very few flaws I noticed when I first got the car and didn't know how bad it would get but the clear is about half gone now so I really want to fix it if I can seeing how it's pretty much impossible to find another.

Could I just get the rest of the peeling clear off and redo it.. Any advice would be helpful, not sure what kind of clear coat to use.

Last edited by 01 Monte SS; 02-10-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:28 PM

To the best of my knowledge you can't just respray the clear coat. You have to refinish the whole panel. This is the reason I don't like clear coat finishes. I prefer the old school paints much better.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:35 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I am sure our resident painter will chime in for you. Mike
You can drive on down to MO and let him fix it....

Old 02-10-2012, 12:42 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Mine is starting to peel on the edges, its not really a clear coat its more of a big clear decal id say, it would be a pita to completly redo but i think it could be done

Old 02-10-2012, 01:15 PM

Nah you would want to respray the whole panel to do it properly. I would use an Envirobase HP clear but I'm biased lol. As far as specifically which clear coat to use depends on your environment. I would take it to a shop and have it done, it shouldn't be that expensive just to have it recleared.

Last edited by Nocturnx; 02-10-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:24 PM

3 Year Member

Ok thanks guys, yeah I took a better look at it today and it doesn't really look like clear coat, does seem more like a decal almost because of how thick it is.. I'm scared to mess with it lol I don't want to ruin it.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:33 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Its a clear gel type decal clear thats on em, i could figure up a price to fix it, wont be cheap though

Old 02-10-2012, 03:38 PM

3 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03JGMonte
Its a clear gel type decal clear thats on em, i could figure up a price to fix it, wont be cheap though
I wouldn't mind an estimate if you could.. Would I ruin it by just getting a few coats of clear on it after I peel the rest off? I know it won't look the same but if it's close I might do that.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:31 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Nocturnx
Nah you would want to respray the whole panel to do it properly. I would use an Envirobase HP clear but I'm biased lol. As far as specifically which clear coat to use depends on your environment. I would take it to a shop and have it done, it shouldn't be that expensive just to have it recleared.
Unless I'm mistaken, he's only talking about the pace car badge. Not the painted panel. That's not a clear coat the same as the rest of the car. Let Mike work on it before you do any more to it. But if the rest of the coating comes off cleanly, the badge can be salvaged. If not, you may be making a trip to a dealership. If GM still has any, in any of their warehouses or dealerships, the parts department will most likely ask you for your VIN # and proof of ownership before ordering. They do that with a lot of the pace car and signature series badges and stuff.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:42 PM

3 Year Member

Originally Posted by Taz
Unless I'm mistaken, he's only talking about the pace car badge. Not the painted panel. That's not a clear coat the same as the rest of the car. Let Mike work on it before you do any more to it. But if the rest of the coating comes off cleanly, the badge can be salvaged. If not, you may be making a trip to a dealership. If GM still has any, in any of their warehouses or dealerships, the parts department will most likely ask you for your VIN # and proof of ownership before ordering. They do that with a lot of the pace car and signature series badges and stuff.
Thanks Taz, and yes I was only talking about the badge, the rest of the trunk is good.

Quick Reply: How can I save this?