Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Home State Sites To See...The List

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 10:27 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2012
1 Year Member

WOW! It's so interesting to see all the things in where I live (Michigan) that I go and see all the time. It's crazy! But just an FYI Silver Lake Sand Dunes is a place NOT to take your monte..lol Most cars don't make it down the drive. lol

Awesome Thread!

Old 09-04-2011, 01:24 PM
Default my two cents worth

Things to see in Vermont:
South Hero,Vermont- apple orchards in October- picking and eating Macintosh apples. Fun for the family.
Stowe,Vermont- the Von Trapp Family lodge. Remember the Sound Of Music? This is where the family settled and have a ski lodge. If you like snow it is beautiful in the winter. The Vermont mountains in the fall burst into color that is so brilliant that it shouldn't be missed.
Car related is the annual Stowe car show at Nichols Field in late summer.
Lake Champlain on any hot summer day with the sun glistening on the surface of the water and then you jump in to find that the water is soooo cold but refreshing.
Shelburne,Vermont- the Shelburne Museum has a lot of Vermont history to behold in all the buildings that have been moved to that site as well as the Ticonderoga ship that has been restored there. An added benefit is that usually on Fathers day weekend there is a car show and the grounds are filled with some of the regions finest antique and classic cars.
Essex Jct.,Vermont- Labor day week has the Champlain Valley fair. A mix of lots of country bumpkin stuff plus shows and amusements that mark the end of summer.
Bennington,Vermont- the home of Hemmings Motor News- the bible of the old car hobby. They are constantly holding old car events. Bennington is also rich in history.
Fort Ticonderoga on Lake Champlain- this is a fort that was built during the revolutionary war by the Green Mountain Boys to fight the British. Their was one small miscalculation. They built it on the Canadian side of the border and therefore they couldn't use it. Oops.
I live in Vermont for almost twenty years. I hated living there. Now that I have been gone for almost fifteen years I can look back on some of it with fond memories. I hated most of all that winter can start in October and last until May. I guess it is a good place to visit. Gregg

Old 09-04-2011, 02:06 PM
Default another two cents

Things to see in Florida:

Lake Buena Vista, Florida- Walt Disney World. The home of Mickey Mouse. Fun for the whole family with Four theme parks and so much more.
Orlando,Florida- Universal Studios- where the movies go to play. Fun for the family
Orlando,Florida- Sea World- a place to be entertained and learn about the environment for the whole family.
Daytona Beach,Florida- the Daytona International Speedway. If the Speedway isn't enough there is Daytona USA an interactive museum of NASCAR. The speedway is also host to activities all year long including the Daytona Turkey Run which is a four day car show and swap meet that starts on Thanksgiving day. It is huge. The Spring Fling which is a smaller version of the Turkey Rod Run.
Kissimmee,Florida- the Old Town Attraction on HWY 192 at mile marker 8. Fun for the whole family with dining, shopping, and entertainment. They have car shows every Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday night with car cruises as part of the Friday and Saturday car shows. For details go to Old Town | Eat, Shop, Ride.
Clearwater,Florida- Clearwater beach is a clean nice beach for the entire family on the gulf without the attractions and drama found on my other Florida beaches.
Ocala, Florida (Belleview) exit 341 on I-75. The Don Garlits Museum of Drag Racing. What else can I say? Don Garlits and drag race history. He also has a large Mopar only car show the first weekend of November.
There is something to see everywhere in Florida. It is a tourist haven.

Old 09-04-2011, 02:51 PM
Default and another tow cents. My piggy bank is empty.

Things to see in Massachusetts:
I can't believe Massachusetts didn't even make the list. Mass is rich in culture and history all over the state. There are museums, art galleries, theme parks, tours, and sites everywhere. Our countries history begins here.
Plymouth,Ma.- this is where it all begins. Plymouth Rock, the Mayflower Replica, and Plymouth Plantation can all be found here. Plymouth Rock is where the Mayflower and the Pilgrims landed. Plymouth Plantation is an interactive museum where the cast members relive the days of the Pilgrims. This is a learning experience fun for the whole family.
Boston, Ma. Too much to list here. Do an internet search.
Rockport,Ma. The ocean views, the shops, the artists on the streets, the boats in the harbor.
Glouster,Ma. The fishing boats, the harbor, the seafood, the history
Salisbury Beach, Ma. The beach, the arcades, the smell of the ocean and the seafood. Only negative her is the cops enforce every law to the letter and are very fast to do it. Parking enforcement is unmerciful.
Chelmsford,Ma. Kimballs Farm. The best ice cream ever. Got to get the banana split. Don't worry about your diet because it is calorie free ice cream. Believe that and I have a bridge to sell but the ice cream is the best. it is a local summertime favorite.
I could go on and on because there is so much to do and see.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:35 PM
1 Year Member

One that I would recommend for South Dakota (not my home state, but I was there this summer) is Needles Highway in the Black Hills. Very amazing sights and some fun free climb rock climbing once you're at the top. Be sure to bring a camera with. Spectacular view from the top of the rocks.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:11 PM

In Lima its actually kinda neat to drive down the industrial part of town and see the chemical plant, oil refinery, and Abrams tank plant all in one area. Pretty impressive sight to see both the chemical and oil plants towering over you

Old 03-04-2012, 09:52 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I just found this site today and wanted to add it here so people can look up the state they live in. Click Here Roadside America - Guide to Uniquely Odd Tourist Attractions

Old 03-21-2012, 03:23 PM

I have to add the Kancamagus Highway in the White Mountains of New Hampshire to this list! It is a 34 mile long scenic "highway" (it's a two lane road). It is best known as one of the most beautiful fall foliage drives in the country. In the summer there are a number of ponds and waterfalls that are great for swimming! My favorite thing about it is that there are no stores, restaurants, gas stations or anything else on this drive, just stunning views of the mountains.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:42 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2015
Monte Of The Month -- February 2011
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

In Louisiana there is
The National WW11 museum
French Quarter Fest
Jazz Fest
VooDoo Fest

and these
Tennessee Williams/New Orleans Literary Festival
Can you say, ‘Stellaaaaaaaaaa!’? Celebrate great writers of...
03/21/2012

Congo Square Rhythms Festival
Music and dance from the diverse cultures of the Caribbean,...
03/24/2012

New Orleans Road Food Festival
Join foodies from around the country for a festival devoted...
03/24/2012

NCAA Men's Final Four
The NCAA Men’s Final Four will return for the fifth time to...
03/31/2012

French Quarter Festival
As one of the fastest growing music festivals in North...
04/12/2012

Zurich Classic of New Orleans
The Zurich Classic of New Orleans is the area’s annual PGA...
04/23/2012

New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival
Hundreds of musicians, seven days, one city: Head to New...
04/27/2012

Bayou Boogaloo
Every year in mid May, the Bayou Boogaloo festival...
05/18/2012

New Orleans Wine & Food Experience
Discover the best food and wine in New Orleans! Don’t miss...
05/22/2012

Greek Festival
For 38 years, Greece on the Bayou has served as a Greek...
05/25/2012

Vieux To Do
Get your Vieux To Do on in the French Quarter with three...
06/09/2012

Essence Music Festival
A celebration of contemporary African-American music and...
07/06/2012

Running of the Bulls (San Fermin in Nueva Orleans)
Every year, New Orleans has its own "Encierro" or bull run,...
07/13/2012

Tales of the Cocktail
Bottoms up! Tales of the Cocktail is the world’s premier...
07/25/2012

Satchmo Summerfest
The annual Satchmo Summerfest is part of the French Quarter...
08/02/2012

White Linen Night
Every summer, men and women don linen outfits in the...
08/04/2012

Dirty Linen Night
Dirty Linen Night is a "dirty" version of the more...
08/11/2012

Red Dress Run
One of the largest Red Dress Runs in the U.S., New Orleans’...
08/11/2012

Southern Decadence
Southern Decadence brings the GLBT community to the streets...
08/29/2012

Gretna Heritage Fest
The Gretna Heritage Festival has grown from a small-town...
10/05/2012

Crescent City Blues and BBQ Festival
Combining New Orleans’ two great loves, the Crescent City...
10/12/2012

Voodoo Experience
Voodoo Experience combines top touring rock, indie and...
10/26/2012

Halloween in New Orleans
In a city known for its cemeteries and voodoo culture, New...
10/31/2012

Mirliton Festival
The humble mirliton is a favorite on local menus and tables...
11/03/2012

Christmas in New Orleans
Whether it is within the city limits, or just outside in...
12/25/2012

New Year's Eve in New Orleans
If you think Mardi Gras is a good time, check us out on...
12/31/2012

Old 09-14-2013, 09:05 AM

There is so much to see in Virginia the State of the Presidents and the State for Lovers. You could see Appomattox Court House where the Civil War ended. You could visit Yorktown, Virginia where the Revolutionary War ended. You could see the old capital building of the Confederacy in downtown Richmond. You could see Monticello where Jefferson lived. You could see Jamestown one of the first colonies of the new world. You could go visit Colonial Williamsburg and take the whole family as they have a great tour to see. You could see Luray Caverns, you could see the Natural Bridge and George Washington's initials that are still visible in the stone he carved them in. Of course if your a racing fan you could visit Martinsville and Richmond. Virginia truly is a great place to live. With beautiful mountains on one side and beautiful oceans on the other. I haven't even begun to discuss what else you could see in VA if your a history buff cause Virginia has had so many things of historical significance to the United States happen in her borders.

Quick Reply: Home State Sites To See...The List