Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

> Holiday Depression <

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 07:53 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Unhappy > Holiday Depression <

Stress, depression and the holidays: Tips for coping

Stress and depression can ruin your holidays and hurt your health. Being realistic, planning ahead and seeking support can help ward off stress and depression.

By Mayo Clinic staff
The holiday season often brings unwelcome guests — stress and depression. And it's no wonder. The holidays present a dizzying array of demands — parties, shopping, baking, cleaning and entertaining, to name just a few.
But with some practical tips, you can minimize the stress that accompanies the holidays. You may even end up enjoying the holidays more than you thought you would.

Tips to prevent holiday stress and depression

When stress is at its peak, it's hard to stop and regroup. Try to prevent stress and depression in the first place, especially if the holidays have taken an emotional toll on you in the past.
  • Acknowledge your feelings. If someone close to you has recently died or you can't be with loved ones, realize that it's normal to feel sadness and grief. It's OK to take time to cry or express your feelings. You can't force yourself to be happy just because it's the holiday season.
  • Reach out. If you feel lonely or isolated, seek out community like the MCF, religious or other social events. They can offer support and companionship. Volunteering your time to help others also is a good way to lift your spirits and broaden your friendships.
  • Be realistic. The holidays don't have to be perfect or just like last year. As families change and grow, traditions and rituals often change as well. Choose a few to hold on to, and be open to creating new ones. For example, if your adult children can't come to your house, find new ways to celebrate together, such as sharing pictures, emails or videos.
  • Set aside differences. Try to accept family members and friends (like`space) as they are, even if they don't live up to all of your expectations. Set aside grievances until a more appropriate time for discussion. And be understanding if others get upset or distressed when something goes awry. Chances are they're feeling the effects of holiday stress and depression, too.
  • Stick to a budget. Before you go gift and food shopping, decide how much money you can afford to spend. Then stick to your budget. Don't try to buy happiness with an avalanche of gifts. Try these alternatives: Donate to a charity in someone's name, give homemade gifts or start a family gift exchange.
  • Plan ahead. Set aside specific days for shopping, baking, visiting friends and other activities. Plan your menus and then make your shopping list. That'll help prevent last-minute scrambling to buy forgotten ingredients. And make sure to line up help for party prep and cleanup.
  • Learn to say no. Saying yes when you should say no can leave you feeling resentful and overwhelmed. Friends and colleagues will understand if you can't participate in every project or activity. If it's not possible to say no when your boss asks you to work overtime, try to remove something else from your agenda to make up for the lost time.
  • Don't abandon healthy habits. Don't let the holidays become a free-for-all. Overindulgence only adds to your stress and guilt. Have a healthy snack before holiday parties so that you don't go overboard on sweets, cheese or drinks. Continue to get plenty of sleep and physical activity.
  • Take a breather. Make some time for yourself. Spending just 15 minutes alone, without distractions, may refresh you enough to handle everything you need to do. Take a walk at night and stargaze. Listen to soothing music. Find something that reduces stress by clearing your mind, slowing your breathing and restoring inner calm.
  • Seek professional help if you need it. Despite your best efforts, you may find yourself feeling persistently sad or anxious, plagued by physical complaints, unable to sleep, irritable and hopeless, and unable to face routine chores. If these feelings last for a while, talk to your doctor or a mental health professional.
Next page

(1 of 2

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pos...inking/SR00009 < Positive Thinking 4-Sure (I think these are some great tips that can help many `if a person takes the time to read & apply to their life!) "Nothing Ventured, nothing gained" EnJoy your `Journey & be the driver!!! <!-- / message -->
<!-- sig -->__________________

Last edited by Space; 12-16-2012 at 08:50 AM.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:57 AM

Everyone experiences different levels of stress during the holiday season. However, for some people the added stress can trigger holiday depression. It is extremely important to try to recognize some of the triggers that may lead to depression early on, therefore possibly avoiding unnecessary emotional and physical turmoil.

Potential triggers for holiday depression are:
  • financial stress
  • lack of sleep
  • fatigue
  • unrealistic expectations of yourself and/or others
  • being alone
The holidays are meant to be fun for everyone, families and people everywhere have a reason to come together and celebrate. By taking the time to preplan for the unexpected, you can help avoid some of the added stress and pressure that can bring onholiday depression. Take a day to sit down with family and friends and delegate some of the workload.
  • try to exercise daily even if you just take a brisk walk
  • plan your holiday budget with an added 10% emergency funds
  • avoid excessive alcohol use as it is a contibuting factor in depression
  • try to get a minimum of six hours sleep a night
  • try and be around people who make you laugh and smile
If you are going to be alone on the holidays, try to join a group. Helping others and meeting new friends can be the ultimate gift that you give to yourself this year.
For some more great tips on coping with holiday depression please visit: The Mayo Clinic
<EMBED height=344 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=425 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/2BEV0yDF1Wo&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x234900&color 2=0x4e9e00 allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always">

Last edited by Space; 12-16-2012 at 08:00 AM.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:12 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Nice of you to provide this information Space. Might help someone recognize another family member or they themselves are depressed and help them understand that fact, helping them chill out when around others or alone in the evenings...
I seek professional help from my Uncle Jack Daniels...... or my neighbor hood shrink..

Old 12-16-2012, 09:36 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thanks for posting this Space.

I think many people get the holiday blues from remembering past holiday seasons. Loved ones who have passed on, or have moved away. Or a holiday season with bad memories. People are more likely to remember tragic events and lost loved ones during holidays.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:37 AM

Hi `Greg,
I just share, cause I care + plus it was the way I was taught 2 `be. Threads like this are also a reminder to me to deal with problems that I am confronted with during my journey of human `life...

I do hope it helps others...It helps me, by helping others...4-Sure...

I've never went to Dr Black Daniels, but I'm sure that I would end `up with a headache after our association

Black Daniels is one of my Grandfathers favorites..

Last night we had time to spend some one on one time 2gether (we haven't had that opportunity in a long time)...I really enjoy time with my grandfather He's my best friend ~> I love him 4-Sure
He is getting older & time 2gether seem more important then it was in my past. He has given `up so much to raise me & I'm super thankful 4-Sure...

Thanks for your words & all your contributions to the MCF.
Happy Holiday Season to you & the reader of my words...

Wish everyone a Stress `Free Holiday Season

p.s. Thanks `Lou (Taz) for your post/words & you

Last edited by Space; 12-16-2012 at 09:42 AM.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:05 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I guess I am one of the fortunate ones this year. Not depressed about a thing really. Oh I get the normal day to day stresses that come along but nothing major.

The only really major stress I get is like my company had a christmas dinner, I couldnt go becuse there was no one to watch my mom. But this is my fault I should have looked into professional home care earlier. I belive I am going to tag my sister to fly out from Tucson (I'll pay her way) to sit with mom while Ronda and I go to the Monte Nats next year. Ronda and I really need a couple days alone together doing something fun.

We do have "Mom Zanix" it is called Honey Jack (a product of jack Daniels) ... (for us not mom)

Last edited by Tadcaster; 12-16-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:02 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Been wanting to try that HoneyJack....

Non of the local taverns carry it...
Guess I'll have to go buy one for the house and see if I like It..
Im still partial to Jack Black(single barrel) and some Crown Royal!

Good Post Space Thanks for being here!!! Your ALWAYS SO THOUGHTFUL AND CONSIDERATE of others!!!!

on a side note....

We of course bought Zeus his Xmas gift already....
I guess now Lexi will have 2 gifts.. (our australian sheppard)

Attached Thumbnails &gt; Holiday Depression &lt;-wp_000052.jpg  
Old 12-16-2012, 04:56 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member

I'll admit i've got some holiday depression going on. Work is stressful and demanding, i certainly do feel isolated and disconnected half the time as i dont talk to many friends let alone get out.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Leprechaun93
I'll admit i've got some holiday depression going on. Work is stressful and demanding, i certainly do feel isolated and disconnected half the time as i dont talk to many friends let alone get out.

Hi `Keane,
Life also can be stressful & demanding 4-Sure, but you must keep on searching for a way to deal with the stress that is in life...The answers are out there `if you search & apply...Yes, you have to take control & be the driver of your life...

You just can't read the words, you have to act them out. I hope that this threads helps in some way, but it's really up to each reader to apply the advice from the professionals that share...

Wish you a Stress `Free Life...Now it's up to you to make it come `true....Don't let the negative in life drag you down & win 4-Sure

1. Keep your expectations balanced. You won't get everything you want, things will go wrong, and you won't feel like Bing Crosby singing White Christmas. Remember that everything doesn't have to be perfect and don't worry about things that are out of your control.

2. Don't try to do too much. Fatigue, over scheduling, and taking on too many tasks can dampen your spirits. Learn to say no, delegate as much as possible and manage your time wisely. If you choose to do less you will have more energy to enjoy the most important part of the season - friends and family.

3. Don't isolate. If you're feeling left out, then get out of the house and find some way to join in. There are hundreds of places you can go to hear music, enjoy the sights or help those less fortunate.

4. Don't overspend. Create a reasonable budget and stick to it. Remember it's not about the presents, it's about the presence.

5. It's appropriate to mourn if you're separated from or have lost loved ones. If you can't be with those you love make plans to celebrate again when you can all be together.

6. Many people suffer depression due to a lack of sunlight because of shorter days and bad weather. Using a full spectrum lamp for twenty minutes a day can lessen this type of depression called SAD (seasonal affectiveness disorder).

7. Watch your diet and remember to exercise. It's normal to eat more during the holidays, but be aware of how certain foods effect your mood. If you eat fats and sweets, you will have less energy, which can make you feel more stressed and run down. It can be very helpful to take a walk before and/or after a big holiday meal.

8. Be aware of the Post Holiday Syndrome. When all the hustle and bustle suddenly stops and you have to get back to the daily grind it can be a real let down. Ease out of all the fun by planning a rest day toward the end of the season.

9. Plan ahead. Many people don't go to the mall after Thanksgiving to avoid shopping stress and others do much of their party prep in advance.

10. Learn forgiveness and acceptance. If some of your relatives have always acted out or made you feel bad, chances are that won't change. If you know what you're getting into, it will be easier to not let them push your buttons. If things get uncomfortable go to a movie or for a drive and adjust your attitude.
May the holiday's bring you all the love and joy they can, and may the true meaning of the season touch your heart.

Last edited by Space; 12-17-2012 at 05:48 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:54 AM

Good Post Space Thanks for being here!!! Your ALWAYS SO THOUGHTFUL AND CONSIDERATE of others!!!!

Hi `David,
It's the way that I was taught by my grandfather & seniors. They did not just teach words, they acted them. They set a good example in life to `all.

I was taught to treat other's like I'd like to be treated...
Even when someone treats me wrong , I will forgive them & think that maybe they were not as fortunate as me to have good teachers/mentors in life & never were taught by example how to treat others in their life.

Like those that don't say please or thankful...Maybe no one ever taught them respect for others or themselve ?...

Some people can be rude/cruel/ignorant & obnoxious + & don't seem to know any better...There are many that hurt & strike back at everyone & everything...

They may want to change, but don't know how ? Maybe you reading this have the answer...I don't, but I won't give up trying to be nice to `all & help those in need `if I can...

I believe `if we want change for the better for `all that everyone must set a good example..."Lead/Follow or stop complaining 4-Sure..Thank You for your words & reading my words/thoughts.
Peace/Out from `Space

p.s. I hope the above made sense 2 the reader(s) ? I got confused when I re-read it (lol)

Last edited by Space; 12-17-2012 at 08:54 AM.

Quick Reply: > Holiday Depression <