Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Hey everyone

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 07:00 PM
5 Year Member1 Year Member
Lightbulb Hey everyone

Hey everyone, I know I haven't been around for a while. And there's a very large reason for that.

Recently in the middle of January, I was on a cruise with my friends from the firehouse. On the 3rd day of the cruise, we stopped at Nassau, Bahamas. Me and 2 of my friends decided to rent mopeds and explore the island. Definitely not one of my best ideas. After about 3 hours of riding them, I was trying to make a turn and was hit by a car. I suffered an open femur fracture and ripped my femoral artery. I was brought to a public hospital down there and they were able to stop the bleeding and put an external fixator on my leg after a 9 hour surgery. I was then airlifted to a trauma center in Florida where they did the rest of the surgeries. They put a rod on my femur to keep it together. Now I'm back in NY in a highly rated rehab center and I'm on my way to recovery. In 5ish more weeks I should be good to go and back to walking on 2 legs again.

I'm so lucky to be alive and that the only injuries I have are only temporary.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:13 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It's great to see you back online Bill. Sorry to hear about the accident. Hoping you have a quick and full recovery.

So have you suddenly become more aware of obstacles like high curbs and stairs and such? That happened with me when I broke my foot a while back. Quickly learned what a god-send elevators are.

Get well soon Bill!

Old 02-21-2013, 07:50 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Ohh man glad your ok after all that, hope for a speedy recovery & glad to see you back online

Old 02-21-2013, 07:54 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Holy Crap! I'm glad you are OK and I'm wishing you a speedy recovery!

Old 02-21-2013, 08:06 PM

Welcome back! Glad you made it!

Old 02-21-2013, 08:35 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Wow Bill your a fortunate one for sure. I have been in 3rd world areas and traffic is insane. Wonderful you were able to be tended to so quickly. What a nightmare you have been through, and yes it's a blessing the hit did not leave you permanetly disabled.

Keep us posted on you rehab progress bud... God speed with your recovery efforts.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:07 AM

Well, after a long 7 weeks, I'm finally home!

Old 03-04-2013, 08:32 AM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year

Congrats! Holy cow! An open break of the Femur with Arterial bleed? You are lucky to be alive! Immediate action is required to prevent death in a case like that.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by MillerMonteSS
Congrats! Holy cow! An open break of the Femur with Arterial bleed? You are lucky to be alive! Immediate action is required to prevent death in a case like that.
I know, I am really counting my blessings right now. Thank God the other guys I were with were fresh out of EMT School, so they recognized the bleed and used my belt as a tourniquet and stopped the bleed. Thank God I was with them.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:39 AM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year

You need to be very wary of any signs of infection now. I had an open fracture and 6 months after the cast was off, I ended up with, "Gangrenous Osteomyelitis". I almost lost my arm. That would be another life threatening problem were it to occur on your thigh. Good luck and I wish you a speedy recovery.

Quick Reply: Hey everyone