Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Headed for Florida: MUST FIND SPACE!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 06:55 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Headed for Florida: MUST FIND SPACE!!!!

Head down to the beach and park your Monte on the beach. He'll show up eventually.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:35 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

we took the Odyssey... more room for my 400 lbs dad and 300 lbs mom to ride in... 25 mpg is what we got coming down, me driving 100% of the way at around 70 alot of the way and near 80 for about 45 minutes trying not to get run over in Georgia. I think the Monte could have done 28-29 based on what i've done with ti before.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:02 PM

hey thats still damn good mileage for all the *** you was haulin *literally*

Old 06-30-2008, 07:56 PM

5 Year Member

lol.... true

well today we got thsoe 2 old cars running. the 1951 4 door was in Uncle Jerry's garage, the other was at his shop about 5 miles away. we got the 4 door running first. we rode around to get it "broke back in" so to speak... get the octane booster and seafoam we dropped in the tank to mix in and get thru the system... get taht 2 speed auto to shift again. this is definitly the nicer of the 2 cars. i took some pictures.. i'll post them when i get back and upload them on my own computer.

then we got the 1951 2 door going.. it's been sitting in a shed for 4 years. the chrome is a littlerusty.. it needs a shiny coat of wax, but it cleaned up half way well... it's got a 3 speed on the column. we wanted to get both back to his house where it would be more convenient ofrh im to clean both of themvery well, especially the 2 door (he's retired, doesn't go to the shop much at all). the door had a few cob webs in it the interior.

so anways, somebody ahd to drive the other car. his shoulder bothers him a little to drive a stick shift, and i much prefered riding in the 3 speed (long story, he drove both to break them in a little), and the 3 speed feels like it has 50 more bhp's. it's just where those old automatics took alot of power away as ti went to the wheels. i much prefer driving it.. although the 4 door is the nicer car with ti's shinier chrome and vinyl interior (as opposed to the 2 doors cloth). it was great to drive it... i followed him as he drove the 4 door back to his home. once again, i'll post pictures when i get home.

tomorrow we're heading out. we're oging to stop in St. Augustine to visit old friends and come on in probably Wednesday sometime... we've decided not to go to Disney World... we're going to wait and go with my brother and his 2 little girls and wife later on.

and as far as the search for 'Space... well we cruised the town in old Chevy's half the day.. if that don't draw him out, I don't know what will no sign of him

Old 07-03-2008, 07:03 AM

5 Year Member

alright my monte carlo brethren, i have returned, and so has Kid 'Space my search for him was a success apparently my driving around in old chevies all day monday lured him out

Old 07-03-2008, 07:40 AM

ORIGINAL: Cowboy6622

alright my monte carlo brethren, i have returned, and so has Kid 'Space my search for him was a success apparently my driving around in old chevies all day monday lured him out
WoW `Duane, I missed this posted thread [X(]until now.
Sounds like you had a interesting trip to the SunShine State. It was great
to read about your trip & that you helped your relatives.
Lakeland is only a few hours away from me, but I've been super busy
trying to catch `up on my school work (since my `puter was down), and
losing my `tin can home + lots more : (
Life has been a challenge 4-Sure.
I'm now back on the beach, but the Bum`s & I haven't even been surf'in [X(]
Also, my surfboard was destroy during the storm : ( it was under the tin can) [X(]
Hopefully, on our dream plan Road Trip in the Spring of 09 we can
meet, or get 2-gether aroundChris-Dood`s area : )
We would also like to travel to Canada & see `Josh -Wiz-
Thanks 4 your posts/words.
Look forward 2 viewing pic`s of your `Trip : )
Peace/Out

Old 07-03-2008, 08:25 AM

5 Year Member

Alright guys... while down there we got those old Chevies running... here are some pictures of them.

The green 2 door was kept in a shack. The paint is still in great shape... it has a lot of dust and dirt on it when we pushed it out. However, the chrome is in rough shape from sitting.. a little TLC and a good coat of wax and I think it'll be in great shape. We got it running, and it's a good 10 footer without the TLC.

Those 2 pics were taken in Uncle Jerry's driveway after we took the cars from the shop back to his house. We drove the 4 door yelllow Chevy over to where the 2 door was after we got it running first (more on it in a minute). To get them back here (his driveway), he drove the 4 door and I got to drive the green 2 door with a 3 speed on the column across town. I always figured the 3 on the tree wuld be a challenge to me.. being so used to it on the floor. But I picked it right up.. VERY EASY ACTUALLY!!!

Here is the interior of the 51 2 door.

... and me behind the wheel of the 2 door.

The 4 door is still the nicer car, even after you give the 2 door some TLC. The problem Uncle Jerry had was cleaning that cloth interior... so he decided to do the 4 door in vinyl. He did not spare a penny on this car. This car was kept in the2 car garage that is attached to his house. It is very smooth, very nice.

Here is the interior...

And here is me in the backseat... I don't know how well you can see it, but there is SO MCUH ROOM in this backseat... there hasn't been a car made since probably the 50's that had this kind of room in it.... it is also VERY easy to get in and out of. I couldn't believe how easy it was and how much room there was in the car. I had to lean forward and scoot to the edge of the seat to talk to my dad and Uncle Jerry in the front.

My preference of hte cars ahs to go to the 2 door though.. a little TLC and it would be in great shape. Plus, the yellow car has a 2 speed automatic.. and I like driving manual transmissions now. I wish I ahd even bought a car with one . The 1950 Chevy truck has made me wish I had one... I love it's 4 speed. The 3 on the tree in the 2 door also feels like it has about 50 mroe hp.. a product of how much hp old transmissions took.

My Uncle Jerry is looking to sell the 2 door. Howver, he hates aggravating with selling cars. He doesn't want people coming over, test driving the car.. plus alot of people my age have no idea how different drum brakes and the handling on old cars was (my dad practically taught me how to drive again telling me little things as we restored that truck), and he doesn't like haggling with a price. He joked that he would give it away before he aggravated with selling it.. but he wants to get rid of it. Therefore, we have no idea what he's going to do it. He said he'd let it rust away too and lose the $18,000 he's got in it before he aggravated with selling it.. and thats when he said he'd just give it to somebody before he tried to sell it. I told him he was talking my price range now Who knows.. maybe we can get us a 2 door Bel Air to park beside the '50 truck.

BTW, my moms whole family was killed in a 1950 Chevy 2 door... same body.... when she was only 3. She was raised by her grandfather, the only person in the family who wasn't in the car and killed.

So anyways... after this we went to Daytona. I've got pics, but they're nothing special. No pictures of me infront of anything. You've all seen Daytona on TV. All I can say is those banks look much steeper in reality than they do on TV.

But it is good to be home...

Old 07-03-2008, 08:42 AM

`Duane,
Super Post/Pictures/Write `up
Thanks for taking the time to share. I love old cars,
and like the 2dr more then the 4dr, but the yellow one is in
super shape 4-sure.
I was sorry to read what happened to your mother's family, but
was happy to read that she had a loving grandfather to take care
of her. I don't know where I would be now `if it weren't
for my grandfather taking care of me.
How did you like driving the Honda ? What was your
final MPG's for the trip ? I washed one, and was amazed
@ all the space & the built quality.
Thanks again for sharing your Trip.
What will you do this summer ? Do you have to work before
you go `off to school ?
EnJoy your Summer,
`Space & the Bum`s

Old 07-03-2008, 08:53 AM

5 Year Member

the Odyssey got around 25 mpg highway going down.. it gets around 20 in town. scarily enough, i kind of like the minivan... very nice, very user friendly.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:55 AM

5 Year Member

o yeah.. forgot my summer plans.

i'll be riding with my dad in the truck... starting in a week or so a farmer i know is going to start harvesting his crops, a nd will need help for that. i'll be doing that for a few weeks, then it's off to Campbell University for college.

Quick Reply: Headed for Florida: MUST FIND SPACE!!!!