Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Head-Turning Cars Under 25K + More : )

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 09:43 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question Head-Turning Cars Under 25K + More : )

provided by
Head-Turning Cars Under 25K...Member's, which on below would you choose `if your were looking at the below list...Post `it : )

Five new cars that specialize in getting attention, but won’t break the bank.*(Note from `Space, $25K would break my bank,
I don't know about our MCF Member's.....If I had $25K to spend, I'd get me a 07SS low mile Monte for around $15K & spend the
rest on a Road Trip :P

By Nick Kurczewski | Photos by Brian Blades, Mark Urbano, and press

2011 Chevrolet Camaro

There are plenty of coolly logical and entirely rational factors to consider when purchasing a new car. Now forget about those, and keep reading.

We’ve come up with a list of cars that play to a baser automotive instinct than the search for good fuel economy, spacious rear seats, or cupholders that accommodate juice boxes and Big Gulps. These are the cars that turn heads and get thumbs-up everywhere you go.

The best news is you don’t have to risk your credit rating—or the wrath of a significant other—when putting one of these beauties in your driveway. Driving a car that looks like a million bucks doesn’t mean you have to hand over a seven-figure sum to own one.

2011 Chevrolet Camaro

What is it?

The 2011 Chevrolet Camaro is the American automaker’s red, white and blue-collar muscle car. Although the Camaro is available with a choice of V-6 or V-8 engines, sticking to our $25,000 price ceiling means you’ll have to opt for a less powerful model.

In the case of the Camaro, though, making do with the base 312-bhp 3.6-liter V-6 is hardly what we’d call a performance sacrifice. It’s plenty quick for daily driving. An entry-level Camaro LS comes with cruise control, power front seats, power windows and air conditioning, all for approximately $23,500. That leaves room in your budget for essentials, like optional racing stripes!

Why is it hot?

Introduced last year as a 2010 model, the Camaro still looks like a wild concept car. From its menacing blacked-out grille to its bulging rear fenders, American muscle cars don’t get any better looking than this.

Just don’t expect to see much of the outside world from behind the wheel. The Camaro’s low greenhouse looks cool, but it has blind spots big enough to hide a bowling alley. At least the steel wheels on the base model will be cheaper to fix if you hit a curb.

2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

What is it?

The 2010 Hyundai Genesis is the Korean automaker’s take on the traditional rear-wheel-drive sports coupe. Depending on your budget, the Genesis Coupe can be configured as a fresh-looking economical sports coupe, or track-focused performance machine when equipped with the optional 3.8-liter V-6 engine.

We prefer the best of both worlds: a lower base price and better fuel mileage, along with the style and driving fun found in the sportier models. The Genesis Coupe 2.0T R-Spec rings in at approximately $24,500, and comes with a 210-bhp turbocharged 4-cylinder and 6-speed manual transmission.

Why is it hot?

The heavily sculpted sides of the Genesis Coupe give it the appearance of a bulging bicep. So why not complete the look and opt for the 2.0T R-Spec in Hyundai’s “Tsukuba Red” paint?

Hyundai has a reputation for building economical transportation with a great warranty. The Genesis Coupe now adds styling flair to this otherwise mature mix. Consider your marriage safe if you buy one, so long as you don’t need room in the (cramped) rear seats for kids.

2011 Ford Mustang

2011 Ford Mustang

What is it?

The 2011 Mustang proves a good thing can keep getting better. While the basic shape dates back to 2005—not to mention the 1960s’ original that inspired the retro look—the ’Stang still looks great.

For the 2011 model year, the base Mustang comes equipped with a 305-horsepower V-6 engine, 6-speed manual transmission and electronic stability control, all for around $22,100. Add the optional 6-speed automatic and a set of 18-in. alloy wheels, and you’re still within our $25,000 budget cap.

Why is it hot?

A long hood and short rear deck make the Mustang look like it’s in motion even when standing still. There are tons of ways to mix and match colors and trim levels, which is why so many Mustangs have a fantastic custom-built appearance.

There also happens to be a horsepower war going on at the lower end of the muscle car spectrum, with Chevy and Ford pumping up the power in their base V-6 engines. This means you can have the economy of a V-6, with nearly the firepower of a V-8, and with cash left to load up your Mustang with side scoops, chrome billet grille, racing stripes, hood scoop and window louvers.

2010 Volkswagen Golf GTI

2010 Volkswagen Golf GTI

What is it?

The good news is that the 2010 VW Golf GTI has slick and subtle styling, along with a 200-horsepower turbocharged 4-cylinder that hustles this front-wheel-drive German hatchback down the road. The bad news: There is room in the back seat for in-laws, or your significant other’s most annoying best friends.

Commonly called a “hot hatch,” the Golf GTI is available in 3- or 5-door hatchback forms, but we slightly prefer the sportier looks (and cheaper price) of the 3-door. Unlike some of the other cars in this list, VW didn’t skimp on the quality of interior plastics when packing sport and value into the design. The cabin is business-like, with a thick-rim steering wheel and plenty of rich materials.

Why is it hot?

We promised not to consider functionality here, except the handsome VW Golf GTI comes standard with real world usability. It even returns more than 30 mpg during highway driving. So why did it score only 3 out of 5 stars in our ratings?

It has nothing to do with good fuel economy or a roomy rear seat, and everything to do with price. You’ll have to limit your option list shopping to items like cargo racks and fancy floormats if you want to keep this sporty VW under $25,000.

2010 Kia Forte Koup

2010 Kia Forte Koup

What is it?

At first glance, the 2010 Kia Forte Koup looks a little out of place amongst the other cars here. Yet give this front-wheel-drive Korean coupe a chance; and you’ll see that its seductive qualities go beyond a fresh and modern exterior. For starters, the Kia is the least-expensive car in this company.

The 173-bhp 4-cylinder engine and 6-speed manual transmission (or optional 5-speed automatic), provide the aggressive little coupe (sorry, Koup) with sharp reflexes. You could argue that the Honda Civic Si or Scion tC could have been added to this list. Fair enough, except the current Civic is soon due for replacement and, frankly, we’re not totally convinced by the tepid restyling given to the 2011 tC.

Why is it hot?

Conspicuous consumption is out of fashion—so hang up those Prada purses with obligatory teacup poodles stuffed inside. And give credit to Kia for creating a value-packed coupe with a crisp new design and rock-bottom price. You can load the Forte Koup with every single option and have thousands of dollars left from your $25,000 budget.

More at Road & Track

Mazdaspeed3 vs. VW Golf GTI: Which hot hatch fits you best?

Video Series: Building a Record-Breaking Suzuki Kizashi to hit 203 mph!

Recent Articles

Best Car Deals: August 2010
The Most-Stolen Cars
Cadillac Escalade most likely to catch thief's eye

The Toyota Prius Turns 10
Sports Cars with the Best Resale Value
Porsche Green-Lights the 918 Spyder

Last edited by Space; 08-11-2010 at 09:48 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:13 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2010
1 Year Member

You can keep 'em!!!

Give me a 2010 Dodge Challenger R/T in Plum Crazy Purple with white R/T stripes, white leather interior with purple piping on the seats

Not under $25k, but I like it better than anything else posted above! Lol.

BTW...I live about 3 miles from the Mustang plant. They are EVERYWHERE around here. I have a tendency to hate Mustangs 98% of the time because there are so many around my place...all years! Ya get burned out after a while.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:16 PM

Out of that list, the 2011 Mustang. Granted I would rather have the more expensive GT500 which is faster than a Camaro SS (according to one of the magazines who took both out to the Bonneville Salt Flats)

Old 08-11-2010, 05:20 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2012

You can't have a GT500 for under $25k, I think that's the point of this.

As for that list, I'd go Camaro. The rest are gay, except the Mustang. When it comes down to it Chevy>Ford. So that's what I'd choose.

However, my car turns heads all the time, and I think I could part with it for $24,650 if anyone's interested. lol

Old 08-11-2010, 05:25 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

I think the V6 mustang is the best overall performer for the price and it is the best looking of them all. I like the camaro but its a little too retro and its really hard to see out of it and its really heavy. The mustang has good proportions, is light and nimble and has an AWESOME interior. One of the best looking interiors on the market IMO.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by PacerSS
You can't have a GT500 for under $25k, I think that's the point of this.
Yes I realize that lol. I would take the Mustang either way, V6 or GT500

Old 08-12-2010, 07:43 PM

I'd rather do what I did with my GTO and ELDORADO...wait a few years til the prices come down as would the car payment and then pick 1 up! More $ for mods My eldo had a window sticker that was $42k (granted I it was 8 yrs old when I bought it) but it had 61k miles and I paid $6k and I bought my GTO w 33k miles and paid $16k back in 3/08-monte I bought for $18k in 2000. Just my $.02

Old 08-12-2010, 07:55 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

I'd have to choose the new Mustang V-6 cause it out performs almost everything else out there (They are calling the Genesis the winner cause it drives most like a sports car according to Road and Track).

Old 08-13-2010, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by mrl390
I think the V6 mustang is the best overall performer for the price and it is the best looking of them all. I like the camaro but its a little too retro and its really hard to see out of it and its really heavy. The mustang has good proportions, is light and nimble and has an AWESOME interior. One of the best looking interiors on the market IMO.

ditto Mod `Matt,
I also like the Camaro, but for the best bang for the $'s,
I like the Mustang better 'Lighten `up Chevy.

One of the kids from the Mainland has one like
above & it's really a great looking ride & sounds aweSome : )
The Camaro I like is over $40+K : (
The track reviews on the Mustang are amaz'in with their
new V6 WoW..
Hope GM is look'in/listening to their competition

Old 08-13-2010, 09:01 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

In Canada the Camaro ranges in price from $27,000 for the LS (equipped with a hampster on a hampster wheel, for an engine). All the way up to $42,000 for the 2SS.

Which goes back to my long-standing complaint about GM. They over-price all their vehicles.

Quick Reply: Head-Turning Cars Under 25K + More : )