Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Has this ever bothered you guys before?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 11:02 PM
Default Has this ever bothered you guys before?

Maybe it's just the ignorance coming out but has it ever bothered you guys when some people join the forum JUST to ask a question about their car? They go through all that work to sign up and they just ask one question and never return again. I'm all for helping out people anytime of the week but you ever feel like your being used by some of the people who come on here to ask that one question?
They never even bother to introduce themselves. They sign up and they just expect us to give them answers without even introducing themselves.
Again it could be me being ignorant.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:07 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

I agree with ya but that's kind of the way it is for all forums.. I only joined the Explorer forum back when I had that to figure out how to fix a few things, didn't have as much time back then to be active and I was pretty young (16) so I didn't think a lot of people would even listen to what I had to say and I found it hard to get responses as a new member. It's sad to see people come and go so fast here because it is such a great forum. Lot's of friendly people who are, like you said, willing to help anytime. No question is too stupid to be asked, we've all been there at some point and it's nice to know there are a lot of knowledgeable people here who are glad to answer anything. I feel like the people who just use the forum for quick questions are either too busy to check in all the time to be actively involved or maybe they just don't see their Montes like we do

I can understand why you would feel used a little but again not everyone treats there car like the people here do. Some just want a cheap fix/solution and be on with their life. Kind of sucks that a lot of people never introduce themselves because I'm sure there are some out there that do have nice cars and could probably contribute a lot of useful info.

Last edited by 01 Monte SS; 02-16-2012 at 11:17 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:10 PM

Thanks for that response, I'm glad you understand where I'm coming from. It is definitely a great forum, I mean I don't even have my Monte anymore and I still find myself on here ever day LOL

Old 02-16-2012, 11:14 PM

Yeah, it kind of bothers me too, but I am guilty of doing it myself. I always search their forums and google first, however. Only if I can't find an answer, will I join. I've done this for Ford Explorer and Chevy Astro/GMC Safari van forums in the past. I don't just type a once sentence question though. I take the time to introduce myself and tell them how the forum seems very knowledgeable, but I just couldn't find an answer to my question through searching. They gave me no problems and were, in fact, very helpful. I still feel funny doing it though, but sometimes you have no choice.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:51 AM

I want to play devils advocate again. Yup here we go again. JW I understand how you feel but want to offer a differing opinion.

JW I am going to go on a limb here and say that you are not a geek type person. Going with that I will assume that when you were in school you spent little time in the school library. Don't get me wrong I am not slamming you. Being in school however meant that on occasion you had to write a report for a class or too. I will assume that you are a smart guy and that you found yourself in the school library doing research on what ever subject you had to report on. Once your report was done you didn't go back to the library.

The MCF is much like that library. There is no one of us that is an expert here but collectively we are an expert on the Monte Carlo and cars in general. Not everyone that has a Monte Carlo is an enthusiast. Some are researching a potential purchase, other are just trying to keep their transportation running.

Last edited by mousehousemoparman; 02-17-2012 at 01:07 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:03 AM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- June 2014
Monte Of The Month -- July 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by mousehousemoparman
I want to play devils advocate again. Yup here we go again. JW I understand how you feel but want to offer a differing opinion.

JW I am going to go on a limb here and say that you are not a geek type person. Going with that I will assume that when you were in school you spent little time in the school library. Don't get me wrong I am not slamming you. Being in school however meant that on occasion you had to write a report for a class or too. I will assume that you are a smart guy and that you found yourself in the school library doing research on what ever subject you had to report on. Once your report was done you didn't go back to the library.

The MCF is much like that library. There is no one of us that is an expert here but collectively we are an expert on the Monte Carlo and cars in general. Not everyone that has a Monte Carlo is an enthusiast. Some are researching a potential purchase, other are just trying to keep their transportation running.

It doesnt bother me at all, being used? This forum always boasts about always being able to help, so just help when someone asks, dont get irritated about it, people on here said to ask questions.
It's nice to do favors for people, even if it is to answer a simple question

Old 02-17-2012, 05:35 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I don't let it get me down. Some guys are just not car geeks and just want their ride fixed. But if we are cordial to them word will get around about the MCF.

To many other things in life need attention than to worry about guys that just pop in for advice. Don't get me wrong I understand where you are coming from JW

Old 02-17-2012, 05:38 AM

Hi `J.W.,
I think the MCF is a reflection of our World 4-Sure. (The Good & the Bad)
I believe we have more good on the MCF then `Bad!

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Blessed are those who can give without remembering, and take without forgetting.
Sometimes a small thing you do can mean everything in another person's life or their Monte Carlo or `Ride
Thank you & member's for your post(s), Time and contributions to the MCF. It's our helping membership that make the MCF the best automotive social forum on the World Wide `Web 4-Sure

Last edited by Space; 02-17-2012 at 05:44 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:39 AM

Monte Of The Month -- September 2011
2011 Monte Of The Year
3 Year Member1 Year Member

What about when they join just to try and sell their car? Lol :p
Just because they have a monte and this is a monte forum, they think more people would be interested, kinda dumb IMO. Their car will sell faster through Craigslist or autotrader :p haha

Old 02-17-2012, 08:03 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It's how forums work. People sign up just to ask questions, not everyone is a complete FAN of these cars if they own them.

More and more, people are having and keeping their cars so they need to do work on them, and when they google problems, the MCF is so active that we are usually one of the first results.

I don't mind helping people, usually I won't go VERY DETAILED in my responses for new people, I just kind of guide them.

You think joining just to ask a question is bad?? I get emails, PMs, etc just people I don't know asking me how to do something, when a thread would have been much faster

But again, I never mind helping anyone who is willing to learn about cars. I joined this forum just to ask transmission questions.....then came back and fell in love with the place haha

Quick Reply: Has this ever bothered you guys before?