Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Grand Tourismo 5 - Anyone playing it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 03:45 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Grand Tourismo 5 - Anyone playing it?

This is just an awesome driving simulator.

My complaint so far....

no Monte Carlos of any generation - so far.

It was a blast driving the Indy track, or Daytona in a NASCAR car though. And it was very hard on the Daytona track.

Old 11-27-2010, 04:44 PM

Yep, i was just about to say the same complaint.
Even though, as i've heard, there are about 30 variations of Skyline. lol
I knew that first "leaked list" of cars was a hoax, even though i wish it were true.
It had almost every Monte Carlo in existence.

Old 11-28-2010, 12:01 AM

Looks like a great game. I've played GT1-3 on the PS1 and PS2. Anyone want to loan me their PS3 so I can play? lol

Old 11-28-2010, 07:16 AM

Hi `David & Brian,
Looks like a super game, and I wish I had it...It's something to look 4ward 2, 4 `me : )

It's safer for everybody, `if I stayed `off the roads & got a
game system & raced in virtual reality 4-Sure : )

The below review was on my homepage today on the game.
I thought member's may be interested...Please add your
comments....

Gran Turismo 5 Six years in the making, the latest in Sony's genre-defining Gran Turismo series skid onto shelves Wednesday. It's been far from a smooth road, though, as the game was originally scheduled to be released in March, but repeated delays left some fearing it would miss 2010 altogether. Those fears proved unfounded, but have the delays given Sony's Polyphony Digital time to deliver fans the polished experience they wanted?

Yes, says Destructoid's Dale North. Scoring it a perfect 10, he lavishes praise on its size ("massive"), its driving feel ("both accurate and exciting at the same time"), and its visuals ("one of the most visually pleasing games ever released"). Its damage modeling, a new addition for this instalment, comes in for less praise. It "isn't really notable," he says, being neither as realistic nor as dramatic as you might be expecting.

In contrast, IGN.com serves up a comparatively muted 8.5/10. While writer Martin Robinson is full of praise for the game's gearhead simulator tech, he's not so pleased with the overall package. It's "a 10/10 simulator wrapped up in a 5/10 game, he says, adding that "...its brilliance on the track is matched by its sloppiness off of it, and there's a lack of polish that would at one time have seemed sacrilegious to the series." Robinson names the bloated front-end, poor collisions, and gutless engine sounds among his concerns.

"Ultimately its driving wins out to ensure that it's still a great game," he concludes, "but it leaves that nagging doubt: this could have been a masterpiece were it not for the fact that Polyphony was so absorbed with the detail that it took its eye off the ball."

Joystiq, too, seems a little underwhelmed. Gran Turismo 5 is a game "that's been driven down a very narrow path to end up something only a subset of gamers will truly enjoy," according to writer Randy Nelson. Although it's "great at what it does...for the true car lovers of the world...this is the new paradigm," he clearly feels it's a limited-appeal title.

"If you're not [a car nut]," he says, "GT5 is like walking in on a group of physicists discussing string theory and asking who wants to go toss around a ball for a bit. You're looking to have fun; they're only interested in studying the math behind how it bounces."

Currently, Gran Turismo 5 is scoring an aggregate mark of 86% on metacritic.com, although that'll likely change as the week wears on. So far, though, the verdict's pretty clear: if you're a gearhead, this could be your dream game -- but if you're looking for a more casual racer, you may want to steer clear.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:14 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I remember that wish list. The same list also had two '69 Torino's. Are they actually in the game?

Old 11-29-2010, 09:10 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm currently playing while I type this

Working up to Level 9 so I can drive the new Camaro

Old 11-29-2010, 09:26 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

lol, i think when i get back home im gonna have to try this out, too bad thats like 5 more months lol

Old 11-29-2010, 09:48 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I found the game's official car list on their website. and you can tell Japanesse ricers made it.

There are more Alfa-Romeo's than there are Corvettes. There are like 100 Hondas, 100 Toyota's, 40 skylines amidst like 120 Nissans. However, three Mustangs, about 6 Camaro's, about 15-20 Corvettes... what gives, GT5?

Old 11-29-2010, 12:35 PM

All I can say is I'm very disappointed in this game. Not just with the selection of the cars and limited tracks but the actual game-play/racing is sleep inducing, I know the gran turismos have always been more about car collecting than the racing though. Also you have to unlock car damage wth? I loved GT 1 and 2 but never played much of 3 or 4... I preferred Forza 3 to this. No monte carlo's is disappointing and I would gladly give up a large amount of the other cars for more well known regular cars. Example there is a whole ton of Daihatsu's that no one cares about but they left off the MKVI GTI/GLI, twin turboed Taurus SHO, New Charger SRT, Sonata Turbo (lol)... just off the top of my head but they have every single year of the 90's wrx sti? Arg!

Last edited by Nocturnx; 11-29-2010 at 12:51 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Nocturnx
All I can say is I'm very disappointed in this game. Not just with the selection of the cars and limited tracks but the actual game-play/racing is sleep inducing, I know the gran turismos have always been more about car collecting than the racing though. Also you have to unlock car damage wth? I loved GT 1 and 2 but never played much of 3 or 4... I preferred Forza 3 to this. No monte carlo's is disappointing and I would gladly give up a large amount of the other cars for more well known regular cars. Example there is a whole ton of Daihatsu's that no one cares about but they left off the MKVI GTI/GLI, twin turboed Taurus SHO, New Charger SRT, Sonata Turbo (lol)... just off the top of my head but they have every single year of the 90's wrx sti? Arg!

I think all of the cars will be released, but over time. I also expect that there will be additional tracks, and additional special events for this too.

For me, this is a great game - my first racing sim. I also like that there is some training involved in how to drive these cars. A lot of this is translatable to the real world and its nice to be able to simulate driving on tracks or courses that I'd never have the opportunity to.

I say just give it some time to develop after the release. I am sure they will work in new things, new cars to keep the interest.

I also saw a extensive listing of the cars that will be available - and there were lots of Monte Carlos coming. As well as the 1st-3rd gen SHO's from Ford. I also would expect to see something from Pontiac too.

But as in almost all things...this is cash driven too.

Quick Reply: Grand Tourismo 5 - Anyone playing it?