Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

got some bad news a few days ago...

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 03:12 PM

yeah i agree man up, buy the car from ur folks and put it in your name and stop letting them decide for you

Old 08-30-2009, 04:26 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

yea, I know the deal sucks. It was a gift to me a few years ago so I cant really say "No". If I could pay for the car, I wouldnt to be honest. Id buy an SS and restart. The racing seats go with the car, unfortunately. I was going to demod, but, I figure bluebook on it is only about 3700, so for me to make decent money for mods Id have to get 1300 for the CAI and the seats. I dont think thats going to happen... haha. Im looking in the area for a low milage SS to try to sway them, they know I love the monte, but they figure sell it before it gets to the point of nickel and diming me of small repairs.

Right now Im working with them to find maybe a late 90's or early 2000's camaro or firebird. Theres a bunch of people who use them as weekend cars by me, were seeing if anyone would be willing to sell. My price range for what I can add to the car only brings me up to about 10k.... any ideas would be appreciated.

Oh... and... the rents are also looking at.... stangs. since my brother likes his 05, and he can help with the repairs of anything Id need on the engine... they've looked at some 99-04 GT's with the v8. Id love a v8, but, I dont want to go to the dark side.

Old 08-30-2009, 04:42 PM

Yeah. I would never let my parents make me sell my car. F that noise. Buy it from your folks. Never let your parents make decisions for you. That's just bad juju. You're how old??

Old 08-30-2009, 05:23 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

Sorry to hear about the deal with your car! I always bought my own cars, and in fact, I bought my Dad HIS last car, a '97 LeSabre. He's 92.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:20 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Late model mustangs arent really that bad. They are easy to work on, reliable and have a ton of aftermarket parts. I wouldnt be dissappointed with a newer mustang as a DD. Thats right, I said it.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:40 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by RocknSS04
Sorry to hear about the deal with your car! I always bought my own cars, and in fact, I bought my Dad HIS last car, a '97 LeSabre. He's 92.
How did I know it would be a LeSabre? :p Don't all retirees drive around in LeSabres? Okay some drive Mercury Grand Marquis's.

Vita, sorry you gotta get rid of your car after customizing it to your liking. But unfortunately that's what happens when someone else pays for the car. They have say in what happens to it.

My parents refused to buy me any car. Dad told me when I turned 16, if I thought he would buy me a car, I was crazy. Told me if I want a car, I gotta save up and pay for it myself.

Kinda sucked at the time. But the fact that I had to pay for it myself, taught me to take better care of my car.

It's looking too late for the Monte. But if I were you, if you're not paying for the next car, make an agreement that allows you to make payments to them so you can eventually own it outright. That way they can't tell you "it's time to sell the car" again.

It may be kinda harsh, but I'd hate to see you mod and customize your next car, then have it pulled away from you just when you get it to your liking.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:09 AM

Hi `Mike, I hope your parents get you a later Model Monte Carlo SS with a V8 : ) Keep us updated & Good Luck 4-Sure...

Old 08-31-2009, 08:17 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My Monte would have been gone years ago if it was about the 100K mark.

Honestly my car has never run better in it's life and it's got wayyyyy more. Sucks that this decision is how it has to be. Hope you can get an SS out of it though

Old 08-31-2009, 11:22 AM
rj
15 Year Member

It may be kinda harsh, but I'd hate to see you mod and customize your next car, then have it pulled away from you just when you get it to your liking.
Really.

My parents refused to buy me any car. Dad told me when I turned 16, if I thought he would buy me a car, I was crazy. Told me if I want a car, I gotta save up and pay for it myself.
Take a look at me. I'm at the other end of the spectrum from you. Yes my parents DID buy a couple of my cars.
Very first car - even though it was "Ment" to be my high school graduation present from them when I was younger my mother never missed a chance to use the car against me. From threatening to sell it, to giving it away, or having it crushed.
My 4-door '57 - They paid $80 of the $100 asking price. And I've heard about ever since.
My '86 Monte - I wanted a 4th gen Monte bad. And they knew it. At the time I was only working a part-time job. No way to pay for the car so they offered and I went against my judgement and let them buy it. One of the reasons they offered to buy the car was the place that I worked my mom disliked a man that worked there. She wanted me to quit. But she used to use the car as tool against me but that seems to have stopped? Why? I can't say?

Old 09-01-2009, 07:58 PM

i'd be like,mom and dad i'll sell the monte carlo,if you run down to the chevy store and get me a new camaro 2ss,deal?

Quick Reply: got some bad news a few days ago...