Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Got a new daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 07:48 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Got a new daily driver

Yesterday I traded in my orange v6 Camaro, for a fun v8 Camaro

I've been wanting to get out of my LFX for a few months now. I had a little bit of engine trouble, and during the diagnosis period, I realized just how unfriendly working on that engine was myself. The technology was awesome, the power from that 3.6L was fun, and the car handled well. But long-term ownership? I didn't want to do it anymore. I wanted to get into an LS3, something tried and true, and easier to work on in my home garage.

Not only that, but I feel that the 2010-2013 models are the nicest looking. They look the most like the 68, and I didn't want to settle for the redesign if I didn't have to.

Unfortunately, for the few months that I was searching, I realized quickly that dealers would not sell good quality LS3s for a good price (or people just weren't taking care of their cars the way that I do). That's when I decided to open up my search to an L99. Once I did that, I found my new car within a few weeks.

I looked at over 30 cars, seriously looked over and test-drove 6. Wound up finally getting a 2012 Crystal Red 2SS/RS. Out the door, I got them to come down to 20.5k, and got a modest 10k for my trade-in.

My old 1LS... will forever be missed:

And here's my (new-to-me) daily driver 2012 SS:

Old 07-29-2018, 08:04 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Yesterday I traded in my orange v6 Camaro, for a fun v8 Camaro

I've been wanting to get out of my LFX for a few months now. I had a little bit of engine trouble, and during the diagnosis period, I realized just how unfriendly working on that engine was myself. The technology was awesome, the power from that 3.6L was fun, and the car handled well. But long-term ownership? I didn't want to do it anymore. I wanted to get into an LS3, something tried and true, and easier to work on in my home garage.

Not only that, but I feel that the 2010-2013 models are the nicest looking. They look the most like the 68, and I didn't want to settle for the redesign if I didn't have to.

Unfortunately, for the few months that I was searching, I realized quickly that dealers would not sell good quality LS3s for a good price (or people just weren't taking care of their cars the way that I do). That's when I decided to open up my search to an L99. Once I did that, I found my new car within a few weeks.

I looked at over 30 cars, seriously looked over and test-drove 6. Wound up finally getting a 2012 Crystal Red 2SS/RS. Out the door, I got them to come down to 20.5k, and got a modest 10k for my trade-in.

My old 1LS... will forever be missed:

And here's my (new-to-me) daily driver 2012 SS:

Nice one for sure! When you invite some folks over to check it our, you should have a few spray cans of the Red color setting on the roof, and that should begin the conversation with a laugh or more?

Old 07-29-2018, 09:46 AM

Nice looking car ChibiBlackSheep ,so what's the first modification going too be ?

Old 07-29-2018, 11:14 AM

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Jeffs02rwdSS
Nice looking car ChibiBlackSheep ,so what's the first modification going too be ?
Thanks! I already swapped my rims, can I call that the first mod? I'm just going to tune it, turn off DoD, fix some shift points and then pay it off. I'll do a full exhaust and the GM z28 performance intake after I don't have a car payment on it anymore.

Old 07-29-2018, 06:10 PM

I understand the reason you would turn off the DoD on a performance car, but I was wondering is it worth turning it off on my 2016 Silverado ? Besides staying in V8 mode and the gas mileage difference is there any other pro/cons to doing this function ?

Old 07-30-2018, 06:46 AM

Very nice!

Old 07-30-2018, 06:49 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2016
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Nice Camaro!

Old 07-30-2018, 06:52 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Wow, pretty nice daily! Looks pretty clean, like it wasn't driven much - how many miles are on that thing?

Old 07-30-2018, 08:01 AM

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Jeffs02rwdSS
I understand the reason you would turn off the DoD on a performance car, but I was wondering is it worth turning it off on my 2016 Silverado ? Besides staying in V8 mode and the gas mileage difference is there any other pro/cons to doing this function ?
Depends on your use. A lot of people actually find an increase in gas mileage if they don't do a lot of city driving by turning DoD off. Also if you do any exhaust work, you don't want it switching to 4 cylinder mode, or it sounds like crap. Some engines (the LS4 Monte in particular) actually burn LESS oil by tuning out DoD also. When some engines switch to 4 cylinder mode, a lot of blowby gets created.

Originally Posted by 06mistreSS
Wow, pretty nice daily! Looks pretty clean, like it wasn't driven much - how many miles are on that thing?
Yeah it is pretty clean. It's honestly not AS clean as it showed in pictures. I need to give the paint some love in spots, and redo the interior cleaning. It'll just need some time with me before it's deemed worthy of my standards haha. I bought it was 48,9xx on the clock. Rolled 49K on my drive home with it.

Old 07-30-2018, 11:57 AM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Just driving to work and back (5.5 miles each way) I've actually seen an increase of 2mpg since ditching the AFM (DoD). Much nicer ride now, not having to hear that terrible exhaust in 4CYL mode............. Haven't taken it out on a long road trip since doing that, though.

Quick Reply: Got a new daily driver