Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Got Lucky this morning!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 03:18 PM
5 Year Member
Default Got Lucky this morning!

Driving to work late and I get to the construction zone at 4:45 am. Nobody is working this week on the project and I fly through the 55 zone doing 75. Pass up a Saturn and a yellow pick up. I notice the Saturn pulls out behind me then increasing his speed to about 65 to pass the pickup.

4 miles down the road I have to slow down because a semi is passing another. Oh well, back down to 60. Semi passes and I bring it up to 75 again. Looking ahead for cops as I always do, I note that in the string of yellow reflectors ahead showing where the poles are for the cables for the median, there is a pair of red lights. DAMN!!! State Cop!!! Slow down to 68. Pass by him and I noticed he is setup not only to monitor traffic coming at him, but also behind....he is pointed with my flow of traffic vs the normal perpendicular with the rear facing my lane to monitor the oncoming traffic. Well I'll just chill out till I get over these hills and open it up again.

I do. I'm heading down the other side of the hill and I open it up to 95 MPH. There is nothing around me at this point. After about a minute or so I look in my rear view and see a set of red and blue lights. DAMN IT!!! Slow down to 70 again.

I notice after a few seconds he really isn't catching up to me... a few more seconds he isn't in my lane but is pulled over to the side. I bring it up to 75 again as I'm pulling away and then to 80 to get to work... made it to work just in time.... like by 1 minute over 17 miles.

My thinking is the Saturn wasn't looking ahead and the cop busted him probably doing 70-75 ish and I just got lucky the way I planned my break neck late to work drive.

Dan and the Monte for teh win.

Lets not do that anymore.

Old 10-30-2008, 03:33 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Got Lucky this morning!

man, you really don't learn do you? you see a cop, slow down, gun it again over the next hill. you look in your mirror and see a cop coming, when he pulls over you gun it again. crazy in my book, but whatever floats your boat i guess.

Old 10-30-2008, 04:44 PM
5 Year Member

What can I say, I needed to get to work on time. Still have a perfect attendance record.

I'm also familiar where the cops sit. There are three places where they do and one of them I don't have to worry about because geographically he can only monitor one way. This guy is where I expected him and the other one is on the the other side of the hill where I sped up because nobody was there.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:42 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I found it hilarious that when you saw the flashing red and blue lights, you only slowed down to 70 in a 55 zone.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:43 PM

are you talkin on 41 towards oshkosh dan? i always see cops along that stretch

Old 10-30-2008, 08:41 PM

You are VERY lucky. WI state cops are tough to beat.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:37 AM
5 Year Member

ORIGINAL: kweef

are you talkin on 41 towards oshkosh dan? i always see cops along that stretch
By Mercury Marine.

As for the "slowing" down to 70 in the 55 zone. I missed the point that I just got out of the construction zone and it goes to 65. It's a psychological block that I know the area and nobody else does.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:20 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Might be a good idea to leave a few minutes EARLIER forwork.

My g/f Deb does the same thing.Five minutes to get to work across town and it takes 10 minutes to do so.

Old 11-03-2008, 04:08 PM
5 Year Member

ORIGINAL: rj

Might be a good idea to leave a few minutes EARLIER forwork.

My g/f Deb does the same thing.Five minutes to get to work across town and it takes 10 minutes to do so.
I agree. I only have one set of keys for my Monte and my girlfriend moved in about 3 months ago with her kids. This isn't such a problem, but I don't have kids myself and never had the chance to learn the tricks yet from them growing up... I just got instant family.

Well the 9 month old is walking... and doing so very well. [:@]

Bottom line - keys were in jacket over chair in kitchen. Found under TV, behind DVD's in living room. Keys go up in the air now.

Since then I've been listening to Mr Mom by Lonestar alot more.

[song]

"Well
Pampers melt in a Maytag dryer
Crayons go up one drawer higher
Rewind Barney for the fifteenth time
Breakfast, six naps at nine
There's bubble gum in the baby's hair
Sweet potatoes in my lazy chair
Been crazy all day long and it's only Monday
Mr. Mom"

[/song]

Old 11-03-2008, 04:56 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds like a lot of instant responsibility.

I love kids. Like you I have none. Maybe some day?

Quick Reply: Got Lucky this morning!