Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

GM Test Dummies : )

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 07:08 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default GM Test Dummies : )

GM NEWS
Filed under: Safety, Tech, GM
- - - - [:-]Which one is Space ? [:-]- - -
GM might be falling behind Toyota in global car production, but they plan to stay ahead in at least one area: Crash test dummies. Five of the newest "anthropomorphic test devices" were added to the General Motors test group. The special thing about these newer generation dummies is that they werea copy of SpaceRider &each have their own internal data recorders that can capture "10,000 samples of crash data per second for each of the 24 data channels." That's a lot of data. And the data capture and recording are the most important part of using the dummies in the first place.

Older anthropomorphs had cumbersome cables and heavy equipment fitted to them which restricted their movement and usefulness. As the technology has advanced, fortunately, the size of the monitoring equipment has shrunk. They used to need a phone booth sized computer to collect the data. That was reduced to a monitor the size of a shoebox a few years ago. But it still had to be used externally and tethered to work. Now that same recording device is the size of a cell phone so it can be mounted on the dummy itself. These new dummies are called i-Dummies for their i-ntegrated electronics. Said to be much more effective, they aren't cheap.

Each dummy costs $125,000, but researchers know they're invaluable. Because there are fewer pieces and because it's so much easier to move the data recorder, the i-Dummy lets GM speed up turnaround times and get the testing done faster. The time savings and increased accuracy of the testing and data are well worth it. The i-Dummies will show up soon in GM's new rollover test facility. [Source: GM]
[align=center]I've applied@ GM for a positon as a test driver, but they said I don't evenqualifyto be an i-Dummy [/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Wish U a Happy[/align][align=center]`Space[/align]

Old 01-09-2007, 09:14 AM
Default RE: GM Test Dummies : )

well @ 125k each and they bough 5. we now know where all our miney is used LOL

Old 01-09-2007, 09:29 AM

[align=center][:-]Update [:-][/align][align=center]Click Image[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center][IMG]local://upfiles/714/614AD7B7C8C8439FB3E62CF7EE003A36.jpg[/IMG][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Hey, What happened to my *****?[/align][align=center]Did it fall off like my arm ?[/align][align=center]I thought I had one before the crash?[/align][align=center]I promise, I'll stop play'in with it so much :: )[/align][align=center]Remember, Dummy's are people to : )[/align][align=center]Come on, put me back 2-gether [/align][align=center]Where's the Quality Control atGM ?

[IMG]local://upfiles/714/2015C65EB39D45B89E9D8B248454E275.gif[/IMG] [/align][align=center]Hey `Space[/align][align=center]Get a Life[/align][align=center][/align]

Old 01-09-2007, 10:18 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

125k each??? wow...thats a little pricey for a company that keeps laying off employee's cuz they can't afford to pay them...

instead of laying off the employee's they should just use them as crash dummies!! lol

good find space

Old 01-09-2007, 01:35 PM

belive me i know a whole dealership here that could have a list of canidates fo rthier new test dummy program . LOL
and the best part they would probbly go threw a 6 month tour at the plant and it would only improve them

Old 01-09-2007, 01:56 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I thought maybe these guys were responsible for running GM?

OR maybe we should let them run it?

Old 01-09-2007, 04:41 PM

damn 125k a piece......i hope that they get more than one use out of them and they are very durable cause if not they cant pay me that and i will do it.

Old 01-09-2007, 05:37 PM

[align=center]GM - Chevrolet[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I think everyone on the forum likes their Monte Carlo[/align][align=center]and[/align][align=center]my intent wasn't to offend anyone that works for General Motors.[/align][align=center]I was just posting something to read with a little humor.[/align][align=center](Us active members read all the post & sometimes it's good to[/align][align=center]take a break from all the pressures of life)[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I really do hopethat GMgets their productorganization together.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]It cost General Motors over $25 an hour for their averageemployee[/align][align=center]and[/align][align=center]I just read that China will be importing next year with their models and[/align][align=center]it stated that they will be up with the Korean's in 5 years.[/align][align=center]Their hourly rate is $ 1.00[/align][align=center]It's going to be difficult for the USA[/align][align=center]to compete with them : ([/align][align=center][/align][align=center]It's not just GM, it's all American Auto Companies.[/align][align=center]I hope that our government & auto industry has a plan.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I love my Monte & I think I got great bangs for my [/align][align=center]$ $ $ Bucks $$$[/align][align=center]I do hope that GM improves the quality of assembly[/align][align=center]and parts.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]"United we Stand - Divided we Fall"[/align][align=center]Peace Out[/align][align=center]`Space[/align]

Old 01-09-2007, 06:15 PM

space i dont think you have offended any one . if so then i think tha tyou have taken care of it.

As far as toyota and korea i feel the same way i hope tha tthe amreican dealers and the "big three" get thier heads out of thier tail feathers and stop and look around to see what is goign around. So tha they can hopefully save thier collective tails before it is to late .