Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Gettin In trouble With my Monte!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 10:41 PM
Default RE: Gettin In trouble With my Monte!

wow rick that was good but idk if the judge will let u read from a piece of paper lol

Old 01-28-2008, 11:58 PM

Yes you can read it from a Piece of paper.
You'll be better off memorizing it and delivering it to The Court like you expect it to be a done deal.

If you have it word processed and printed on sheet of paper ... make two copies.

"May I approach the Bench, Your Honor?"
"Approach"
Hand the Judge your statement and Plea.
"This is my Plea and all I have to say about the matter before The Court"
Return to the Defendant area. Stand. Let the Judge read the statement.
The instant he's done reading the statement and looks-up.
"Move to Dismiss, Your Honor!"
(Granted - Dismissed)
"I thank The Court"
(Then get lost and do the speed limit all the way home.)
(Denied.)
"My Plea is Not Guilty. I'd like a Date on the Docket."

They won't want to have a Trial over something like this. But, there has to be some negotiations.
Let the Judge ask the Cop a question or two.
You have no questions for anyone.

"I moved over because that's what you are supposed to do when you see someone standing in the road. It's as simple as that. Not Guilty. Move to Dismiss!)

You are going to have to have a real hard-nosed Judge who doesn't Dismiss that Case right on the spot!

Old 01-29-2008, 01:00 AM

That's just crazy man, you'd get pulled over for not moving over here in Wyoming. The law is to slow like 20mph, and then my drivers ed teacher said that it is also part of the law to move over if possible. I would have done just like you and moved over to give him space, hell I move over even if it's not a cop. I don't need a door sized imprint in my front bumper.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:12 AM

Hi Jeff, What a Bummer : (
In FLorida, it's a law that you move over.
$75 is a lot of Money to me.
I would protest...., get a court appointed
attorney....then I'd cry [X(]
Let us know what happens, and what you are
going to do...Good Luck, `Space
Florida Slow Down and Move OverLaw
As you approach emergency vehicles you are required by law to move out of the lane closest to the emergency vehicle and slow down. The law was created because there are a lot of accidents and injuries on the side of Florida highways and roads.

The Move Over Law is designed to protect Florida police, fire, and other emergency workers when they are on roads and highways. As you approach emergency vehicles you must move out of the lane closest to them if the road has two or more lanes traveling in your direction.
Slow Down
Not only must you move over but you must also slow down. The law states that you must slow down 20 MPH less than the posted speed limit. So if you are on the Florida Turnpike and the speed limit is 70 MPH you must slow down to 50 MPH as you approach and pass emergency vehicles.

You Must Move Out of the Lane Next to the Trooper

Penalties
If you don’t move over the penalty is about $120 (depending on the Florida county) and 3 points on your drivers license.
Protecting Police and Fire
The police and fire department face enough danger already and this law was created because these brave emergency workers actually got hit by cars passing by. So move over and slow down.[/align]

Old 01-29-2008, 09:48 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008

Here's Texas' law:

The slow down/move over law requires drivers nearing stopped emergency vehicles with emergency lights activated to either slow down or change lanes. Specifically, the law states a driver must either slow down 20 miles per hour below the speed limit or vacate the lane closest to the stopped emergency vehicle that has emergency lights activated if the road has multiple lanes traveling in the same direction. (If the speed limit is below 25 mph, the driver must slow down to 5 mph.) Drivers should only move over if they can safely and legally do so; otherwise, they should slow down.
“Our Highway Patrol troopers spend a large part of their time working on highways and roads with vehicles speeding past,” said DPS Director Col. Thomas A. Davis Jr. “Just the slightest slip of the wheel can endanger them. This law requires drivers to give them and other emergency vehicles the space they need to perform their duties safely.”
A violation is punishable by a maximum fine of $200. If the violation results in property damage, the maximum fine increases to $500.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:04 AM

I live here in Illinois and cops here are pretty much dicks about everything. I got pulled over for that samething, but got a warning even though I shouldn't of because I was a complete smartass to him. Everytime I see a cop or a car on the shoulder I move over.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:47 PM

They are pretty liberal about speeding as far as I can tell...

Old 01-29-2008, 12:59 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well being the son of a truck driver, and riding every summer, I get to see alot of stuff on the interstates.... and here is my observation....

Up until maybe the last 3-4 years, this was a courtesy, not a law. Usually, it happened. Since the "Move Over" law was enacted, I have noticed cars not only not move to the other lane, but I have seen drivers actually cross 2 lanes of traffic nad ride the line just to buzz the cop and whoever is pulled over, and then move back over. I never saw that until it was law to move over. I wonder if we would have been better off to never enact this law. For one, as I said, I have noticed more people doing it. As far as I know studies have shown accidents concerning emergency vehicles being pulled over as actually INCREASING since the law was enacted. And for second, police oppression... as is the case here.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:45 PM

I'd fight it. It's also the law in Ohio to move over if possible.

Worst case - you make the cop go to court, (maybe on his day off, you at least get to **** HIM off), you have to pay the fine.

Best case - the cop doesn't show, judge throws it out, you pay court costs.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:59 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'd fight it. Especially since you were being courtious to the cop.

Not sure if you should ask the judge this or not? But I'be be curious to the point I'd say, "Would the officerprefer I stayed in the lane I was in and risk hitting/injuring him?"

Quick Reply: Gettin In trouble With my Monte!