Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

General update

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 08:33 PM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default General update

Figured its been awhile since I've posted an update thread other than the pics of the new house and such- especially since the big move and everything. Well, I've finally got some time off work without all the crazy overtime with 60-70+ hour weeks, so I figured I'd take some time to make a post on here.

Quick recap of recent history: I did the L67 swap in college- then after college, we moved back home and lived with our parents (before we got married obviously), and the monte was stuck sitting outside. I did the whipple swap outside with minimal access to my tools- and it ended up running worse because of issues with the Animul adapter plate. I worked on it for a few months, fixing a few issues here and there- and drove it around to a few local cruise ins and such. This was the last time I had actually driven her and enjoyed it (despite all the various problems).

About a year in, I was out in Carnegie, PA for some training for work and the car got broken into and all the audio equipment was stolen (except my line driver, and all main speakers)- they popped out the drivers door lock, damaging the sheet metal around it. I'm guessing it was just blind luck that they decided to pull off the car cover and try and break in- since virtually no one in my home town knew what I even had- the system hadn't even been turned on in half a year.

After that, I was forced to park it in a storage unit out of fear that they'd come back and take my performance parts, wheels, gauges, something. Unfortunately, I couldn't work on the car at the storage unit (it was dark, and there were no power outlets) and it was a pain to drive the car somewhere just to work on it in the driveway. So it sat for awhile while I collected parts for it. I never really drove it other than just around inside the storage complex since the drivers lock was all busted out.

We then decided to go a different direction in life and decided to move out to Arizona (from Indiana) to get away from the cold/rain/snow, and to try and get better jobs. My wife moved out in Jan '10, and I moved out in Feb '10 after she got a job. Since we just moved into a small 1 bedroom apartment until we could find a house- I had to leave the monte and most of our stuff back in the storage unit in Indiana. About September '10, we finally had an offer accepted on a house (after looking and putting in offers all summer)- and promptly moved in.

Over Thanksgiving of '10, I flew back out by myself (wife had to work) to get a Uhaul and trailer for the monte. Luckily she fired up the first time (after taking awhile to crank)- but I had put stabil in the gas tank, and squirted oil in all the cylinders before I left; and even though she ran a little rough- I managed to get her on the trailer. The drive out by myself was terrible- google and mapquest said it was a 29-30 hour drive; but it took me about 35 hours due to sliding off an ice covered road in the mountains of northern AZ- I (along with every other car on the road due to the steep downhills) were stuck until the plow truck came through to drop cinders, and until I could get myself a path through the snow to get back onto the road.

After getting the monte back- I haven't really had much chance to touch her really. Work got super crazy (we went from 50 hour weeks to 60-70+ hour weeks every week) and I was using my only day off to rest and recoup for the next week. I'm just now getting enough time off to start working on her again (along with getting stuff done around the house to make it our own).

So as the monte sits now:

The hood can't go on. I never got latch system to work 100%, and it now seems like it won't catch the 2nd latch at all (I used to be able to get it after playing with it and closing it a few times)- and now both mounting nuts on the passenger side have broken off inside. One was spinning inside when I bought it (used), and now both are loose (so there is nothing in the mounting holes). Its gonna need some work...

Drivers side axle had started clicking pretty loud the last two times I drove it- I need to pull it apart to see what the deal is.

I stole the LS2 MAF and rubber elbow for my old 99 GTP (its' built in MAF died, Autozone wanted like $150 for a replacement and I got the 85mm MAF off ebay new for $20). So its currently running MAFless (I put a blockoff on the stock MAF hole, and can't find the stock MAF either.

Cold idle surge seems to be much worse now- it actually kills the engine after a few surges if you don't give it some gas (granted it was only 5 or 6 degrees outside when I was putting it on the trailer)- it seemed to surge much less out here in the warmer weather. Obviously this stems from the Animul adapter.

Dash broken, fiberglass rear deck broken (and rear tint scratched to heck from the thieves prying on the amp), drivers side lock broken out... yay.

Passenger fender got all chewed up from the ratchet strap I put over the hood (and around the car body) the tighten the hood down so it didn't rattle loose while driving since those two nuts were missing. Somehow the metal ratchet part worked its way around to the fender where it sat and chewed through the paint most of the way out.

The whole thing is filthy, especially the engine bay- it almost looks like the engine and trans need to come out to just repaint the whole engine bay (and get rid of all the surface rust and crap too).

Probably more stuff I'm forgetting now- but she's definitely in rough shape- I'm gonna have my hands full getting her back nice again.

Anyways, sorry for the long story/update- just figured some would be interested to know what has been going on with her.

Here's some pics of the parts I've got for her, and of her in the garage- (ignore the cheap window coverings- they're temporary so thieves can't peer in):

From the house door (you can see the stupid partial wall on the left that covers up the back half of the 3rd garage bay):

From the 3rd bay (spare L67 shorty in the blanket on the left):

Closeup of the GP (just got her back today- the dealership has had her for about 2.5 weeks off and on for a couple minor issues- mostly a rear main seal leak that they were having a tough time with):

Monte- note the nice dollies under the wheels- makes it so easy to move around the garage:

Now for the good stuff- the new parts

Parts in the picture include:

-Alternator relocation bracket (puts the alternator in place of the AC compressor)
-Remote oil filter adapter (also has adjustable oil pressure screw)
-Yella Terra IC / whipple adapter (looking into doing a spacer plate in the center with a MUCH thicker IC core like the one JonBob is having made for his whipple car)
-Brembo 4 piston calipers
-14" rotors

Welp, that's about it- maybe I'll post up some progress pics one day if I get anything major accomplished....

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 02-25-2011 at 08:36 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:03 PM

Good to here from you, I can't wait to see you get her all revived and running great.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:09 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Nice to see an update from you bumpin! You've had a long history with your Monte and it made me furious when those thieves broke into your Monte and stole most of your system. I can't wait to see everything that you're going to do to that Monte.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:51 PM

Monte Of The Month -- May 2011
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Chad, Nice to hear you're settling in. Hope you and the wife are enjoying the desert lifestyle. Look forward to your updates as always.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:08 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
We then decided to go a different direction in life and decided to move out to Arizona (from Indiana) to get away from the cold/rain/snow...
This is a brilliant idea to me. I don't know why anyone who has the choice would endure cold/rain/snow. Indiana seems nice compared to Canada, and I live (I'm stuck) in one of the warmer parts.

Some nice parts there. You got some work ahead of ya. Ever think of just going with hood pins instead of the latch?

Old 02-26-2011, 08:45 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

Chad, glad to see you still have the Monte and the determination for that rare build. Best of luck!!!

Old 02-26-2011, 09:19 AM
15 Year Member

This is a brilliant idea to me. I don't know why anyone who has the choice would endure cold/rain/snow. Indiana seems nice compared to Canada, and I live (I'm stuck) in one of the warmer parts.
I just found it frustrating that more than half of the year was nasty outside. From like November to March it was cold as heck, and had the potential to snow (and of course they would dump salt all over the roads). Spring was nice, but it rained all the time. You'd finally get to summer, and from all the rain it was super humid and sticky. Fall wasn't as bad- but even in the nice months, you still didn't have a ton of nice days- and it always seemed like the nice days happened while I was working.

The nice thing about AZ is its nice a lot more of the year. Winter nights get a bit cold (its been 40's and 50's at night lately)- and mid summer days get a bit hot (100+)- but the bulk of the rest of the year is great. Winter days have been running 60's and low 70's; and the summer evenings seemed to get down into the 80's- and then the whole rest of the year is a pretty moderate temperature. Plus, I don't even check the weather anymore living out here- almost every day I wake up, I can bet its gonna be sunny all day. Oddly enough its supposed to rain tomorrow- but rainy, cloudy days are pretty rare.

It does kinda suck having to fly home for holidays; and there isn't a lot of major tourist stuff locally- but we're not too far of a drive from Vegas, LA/SD, and Mexico.

Ever think of just going with hood pins instead of the latch?
Actually, I do have hood pins that I bought awhile back. The bad thing is, with those two rear mounting nuts breaking off inside- I can't use the passenger side hinge either- so I'd have to pin all 4 corners, and I'm not real crazy about that. I've taken the hood off by myself before- but I'd be real afraid to do that if it was painted- I really would like to still use the factory rear hinges. I mean the hood was built with all the extra support (and weight) to hold itself up when supported at the rear, so I'd rather use that if I can.

For now, its no big deal really- when I do drive it, I'll just go with no hood- it seems to get a lot more attention that way anyways.

My big priority is going to be getting all the hoses and wiring cleaned up- get the IC adapter on to get rid of some of the major issues, and then start focusing on making more power.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:28 AM

..Hi Chad,
It's great to see you online & thanks for your Super in-depth update...I also always enjoy reading your post(s) & Threads.

We will be looking 4ward to seeing you more often...You are missed when we don't hear from you..

Thanks always 4 sharing your knowledge & experience..

Wish you, family & your awesome rides the best...
EnJoy your Life `Journey 4-Sure
Peace/Happiness from `Space

Old 02-26-2011, 09:33 AM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year

Congratulations on the move. Good luck on the Monte. Just take your time.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:05 AM
rj
15 Year Member

Sounds like you've had some major changes in your life. Some good, some not so good.

Personally, I HAVE THIEVES!!! Wish they could be located and severly beaten.

Ever think of just going with hood pins instead of the latch?
Any chance you could either drill out the holes or an epoxy would help?

Quick Reply: General update