Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Gear up With your Anti-Viruses!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 06:49 PM
Exclamation Gear up With your Anti-Viruses!!!

Ok well I was surffing the web earlier today(bored at work) and i stubble upon an artical on yahoo news stating to be very carefull on the end of the month there will be a virus out and about that was launched april 1st a couple of years ago.... they say it wasnt a big deal a couple of years ago that they were able to control it but they have recived word that April 1st 2009 its gonna be back and about 500 times stronger and more dangerous than a couple of years ago... Microsoft has a $250,000 bounty on the guys head who created this worm..... so for microsoft to get involved with this worm, it sounds pretty serious.... this worm is said to affect ur computer in minor way as in annoying pop-ups. to as bad as corrputing your harddrive and wipping it out completly..... So what im trying to do is just warn you guys about it so it wont catch you by supprise...

Here is this link to the artical on yahoo news.... dont ignore this guys it could get ugly....

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/128...Me1PME6dwazJV4

Old 03-28-2009, 11:06 PM

Sounds interesting. Not too worried as I use an iMac, but will be paying attention to the news to see if it does blow up. I've always been interested in these sorts of things but never really learned anything about them.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:25 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Yea I definetly am just leaving my computer off. Because Norton hates me so its gone, and my antivirus is firefox. So im just gonna leave my computer set off for a few days till its all worked out. Oh and im making a Hard drive backup tomorrow, everyone else should do that too.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:49 AM
Angry Warning : ( More Stress : )

Hi Ozzy,
Thanks 4 the link & Warning.

Life sure is full of `Threats, & people that use their talent/ability to hurt many for reasons unknown.

I wish I could find the person, just not 4 the 1/4 Million $
bounty, but to be able to Stop someone that can hurt so many.
I shallprepare
the attack
I again, had 2 be in the office this morning @ 4 AM , and
glad that I read your post. The `Web is my playground to
the outside World. I really dislike thinking of people that
purposely put `up roadblocks.
Below is more infor I found on a `SpaceSearch

• [*]
  • [*]
More Offers:

Conficker Worm April 1, 2009 ? Sponsored Links
  • [*]

Old 03-29-2009, 07:48 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

There are millions of viruses out there. Some of which can sit on a home computer or server for months without a problem. But on a specific day, they come out of hibernation and cause problems.

It is a must if you surf the net, to ALWAYS keep your anti-virus up to date. Not just on certain days.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:19 AM

Well Taz yeah thats true, you do have to keep ur anti-virus up-to-date but well some people will prob. not be ready, so just wanted you guys into this artical so u all can be cautious and protect ur investments which are your computers, and whatever your harddrive has on storage.

I went to school for computer maintance and in one of my classes i remember we were messing around with a virtual machine(VMware) and to our suprise my teacher was uploading a virus to each of our vertual machines, this was a test to see who accually knew what to do when your being attacked by a virus, and well of course we should of known what to do by then, n e ways for those of you that dont know what i am talking about a virtual machine is lets say a virtual harddrive which allows you to run any operating system you want on you computer without it being installed on your harddrive, yeah i know what your thinkin why not just use a multi-boot system? Well ill tell you a good reason why this program is a good one to have, when a virus is upload into this virtual machine it does not affect anything else on the computer hance the "virtual" part, so guys take this serious till its confirmed that everything is in order and your computers are safe....i myself am running 3 Anti-viruses plus other malware and adware programs so be safe guys use protection heheh

Old 03-29-2009, 10:36 AM

Thanks `Ozzy, for your Warning & Information. To me it is just sad that there are people `out there in our World that mis-use their talents to `hurt so many innocent people. Just think what a better World we could live, have `if those people used their talents 4 Good, unstead of Bad/Evil : (

"ForeWarned, is ForeArmed" Thanks, & Good Luck 2 `all
the `kid from `Space

Old 03-30-2009, 10:01 AM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

No worries for me I have a 15" Mac Book Pro.

Last edited by AwesomeSS; 03-30-2009 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:24 AM

15" macbook pro! wooo! ;-)

Old 03-30-2009, 11:25 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

anyone without an anti-virus program...

AVG Free, and Avira Free are good free programs that keep updated and catch a good amount of viruses.

If you use AVG just make sure not to install the browser plug-in as firefox hates it.

But the typical, don't open emails that you don't know, don't run program files, etc. And you'll be fine.

Quick Reply: Gear up With your Anti-Viruses!!!