Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Gas Leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 10:33 AM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Thumbs down Gas Leak

Well some bad news to me.... My Horizon has developed a gas leak. When you walk near it the smell of raw gas is pretty strong and the guage mysteriously goes down. I never noticed any spots where it normall sits, but i briefly moved it this morning to clear snow and i noticed gas mixed in with the water where it was sitting. Once my driveway dries i'll get under it and take a look. Anyone have any ideas as to what i should check?

Old 10-30-2011, 12:32 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Anywhere the fuel line is attached to the body. A lot of times the clips or fasteners trap dirt and water and promote corrosion. Also anywhere there is a rubber line. I would also check the tank by the straps.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:20 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks, hopefully i get under it soon

Old 10-30-2011, 01:27 PM

Hi Keane,
Sorry 2 read about your problem...I'd check everything that Lou mentioned + the fuel pump connections..
It's the price of owning a older classic 4-Sure..

Good Luck on your repair(s) Oh make sure that no one SMOKES around it 4-really ~> Sure!!!

It's time you quite ~* it's a Bad habit & the illegal stuff is 2 Expensive

Old 10-30-2011, 02:14 PM
rj
15 Year Member

IF you gas line is routed like both my '93 & '94 Shadow ESs and '83 2.2 Charger. Mopar ran the line on the pass side of the car from the tank to the fuel filter. Since the filter is more or less right in front of the pass rear tire it takes a lot of abuse from the elements. I've had to repair all three vehicles at the fuel filter.

The '82 Charger has a leak in the steel line just at the filter. I took a piece of rubber gas hose, slit it length wise, slipped it over the steel line and clamped it in place over top the pin hole. Cured the leak till I got rid of the car a couple years ago.

The '93 & '94 Shodow ESs you can tell the line coming from the tank to the filter is getting crusty. So I try to keep them coated with with paint (Rustoleum is gas resistant) or undercoating.

And both Shadows ahd to have the rubber hose coming out of the fuel pump/tank to the steel lines that run under the body. The rubber weathered and cracked allowing gas to leak out.

Last edited by rj; 10-30-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:21 PM

Hi Mod R.J., Great tips for `Keane... Thanks 4 Sharing : )

Below are a few links...I searched for your yr/model, but could not find Good luck on finding your leak
How to Find a Fuel Leak | eHow.com

<CITE>www.ehow.com › Car Repair & Maintenance</CITE>Cached - Similar

Using gas tank sealer is an inexpensive way to fix a leak or crack in your car's gas tank, but the majority of people don't know how to properly apply it. Most gas . ...

<LI id=mbb3 class=g>How to Test a Car for Fuel Leaks | eHow.com
<CITE>www.ehow.com › Car Repair & Maintenance</CITE>Cached - Similar

Using gas tank sealer is an inexpensive way to fix a leak or crack in your ...

Show more results from ehow.com

Old 10-30-2011, 03:30 PM

The tank is steel and oftenly leak at the mid section just above the seam and also under the straps. Spectra Premium makes a replacement tank for your car that is relatively cheap and good quality.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:09 PM
5 Year Member

I hope its just a fuel line problem, it was accidently crushed and replaced when i first got the car, but i really hope its not the tank as that'll be a pain in the but

Old 10-30-2011, 11:39 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL

my girlfriends horizon started to leak gas before she got another car. her horizon wasnt worth fixing so we just parked it and had the junk car guy come pic it up

good luck fixing it....dont park next to open flame

Old 10-31-2011, 12:18 PM
rj
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by mousehousemoparman
The tank is steel and oftenly leak at the mid section just above the seam and also under the straps. Spectra Premium makes a replacement tank for your car that is relatively cheap and good quality.
Your Horizon tank may be metal. But my Shadow tank(s) are plastic.

Can't recall what my '83 2.2 Charger was?

Quick Reply: Gas Leak