Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: Should I attempt to fight it?
Yes, fight it, the cop was just being a jerk.
45.45%
No, just suck it up and pay it.
54.55%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Gahh!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 10:48 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Angry Gahh!

Well, looks like I'll be shelling out a couple hundred bucks here in the next few days. Not on my car though, oh no. I got a speeding ticket for going 41 in a 25. Which I know is complete BS, I NEVER go faster than 30 in a residential, and I wouldn't even go that fast because there were kids out playing....

Here's the real kick in the chops. The cop was MOVING in the OPPOSITE direction of my car, and he knew he was going to go for me when he was halfway up the street because as soon as I passed him he was pulling in a driveway to turn around.

Unfortunately for me we have a new un-marked Charger and I couldn't tell he was a cop until I was too close but I asked him after looking at my ticket, very politely mind you, "sir, out of curiosity, how can you estimate what my speed was with radar when you were moving in the opposite direction to boot?" and he replies with, "well I took my speed of 25 (the speed limit by the way)" like a real smart mouth sarcastic punk, the cop was about 20-25. "My radar registers 16 MPH so I add 16 to 25 and get 41, so that means you were going 41 MPH in a 25."

After that I just said ok thanks and left. But what gets me is he was already slowing down when I passed him because my back tire probably wasn't even passed him and he was already turning in a driveway, so either he whipped in a driveway at 25 or he was slowing down prior which would throw his numbers off. Also, he put on the ticket "Moderate" traffic, which it was, so what gets me is when the radar is simply sticking on the dash, he's not looking through it or pointing it, how can he be sure he was clocking me and not the guy in front or behind me? I think he's just jealous because my Monte is cooler than his Dodge Charger

Do you think it's worth the time and effort to fight it? I guess in Ohio the cops can use radar when moving. I know in PA they have to be stopped but I've found about three sources that say moving while radaring is legal here so I don't think it's "fight-able," what do you guys think?

- Mike

Old 11-25-2010, 11:02 PM

Speaking of that reminded me, I saw him again today, I got the ticket a couple days ago. But today on my way home he came up behind me and he stuck to me, I even passed the police station where they usually all turn in, he didn't, he stuck to me. I even took the complicated route home, down about 7-8 back roads, turning here, turning there, just for the hell of it and wouldn't you believe it he followed me all the way to my driveway. I thought it was hysterical, I even waved goodbye to him as I pulled in the driveway. Maybe he was hoping he'd get me again so he could get another ticket off me. Well now I know to look at his grill, I always look at the top to see if I can see the little dome on the top but it's so low so now I know to look for his LED light bar and push bar on the grill - you can see that for miles. But the logical thing to do I guess, instead of worrying about how to spot them would to "just do the speed limit" which for the most part I do, but every now and thing you just get the urge to put the hammer down.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:56 PM

I'd fight it personally but yes they can clock you while moving in the opposite direction. Their guns have to be calibrated for it however. On the second post, if he would've wrote ya a ticket after following you for a while that would be an easy one to fight. Discrimination.

Old 11-26-2010, 04:05 AM

Monte Of The Month -- May 2013
1 Year Member

Next time he follows you. Just pull over & Stop. He's an azz wipe

Old 11-27-2010, 02:27 PM

Response to your first post, if the speed limit is 25, and you were at the slowest going 26 you are by law speeding and at fault. If you knew you were going over even if by going 26, i wouldn't waste my time, pay it.

To your second post, I 2nd Rick's post. Stop and pull over let him go by.
If it gets worst, keep track of when he does this, and go over to the police dept and file a harassment on him.

I got caught going 61 on a 40, we were going our opposite directions, he came over a hill on a curve so i had no chance of even trying to stop. He gave me the ticket, i knew i was wrong, apologized and paid the ticket.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:03 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

On the next day you saw the cop I would have set my cruise control just below the speed limit and let him pass you. The cop sounds like he's being a jerk.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:40 PM

Had my court date yesterday (12/3), what I did find out at the hearing was apparently this car's radar is directly hooked to the speedometer, all the cop has to do is flip the switch to say if I'm coming towards or away from him. So that removes any possible inaccuracy's in the speed since the radar does it for him. He also had his calibration logs for the radar, so that's out, however, in order for it to be accurate/legal his speedometer MUST be calibrated/checked every 10 days - his was at 13 days since his last calibration on the day he got me! So I won!

Old 12-04-2010, 09:42 PM

I'm sure his speedometer didn't go completely out of whack in 3 days but the law is the law, and it saved me just shy of 200 bucks so I'm not complaining!

Old 12-04-2010, 09:44 PM

Luuuucky, congrats.
You get to keep those extra pennies in YOUR wallet, now go help this economy and spend it! hahaha

Old 12-04-2010, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jomao_o
Luuuucky, congrats.
You get to keep those extra pennies in YOUR wallet, now go help this economy and spend it! hahaha
Very lucky in my opinion -- I lucked out by 3 days, I can honestly say I wouldn't have stood a chance otherwise (damn new technology).

I think I'll put the 200 in my paint fund... I've got a few quotes for repainting the Monte and all of them are at least 3000 since I'm changing the color.