Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Filing for workers comp?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 03:53 PM
Default Filing for workers comp?

I need to figure how to do this, last week couple guys showed up to work that we buy our lifts and wheel balancers from and they were coming to show us some new equipment. We got into the back of the box truck where the equipment was and they demonstrated it to us, without warning the equipment made a loud BANG in the box truck which increased the sound. Since then I've had a ringing in my right ear anytime I talk or something loud is around me (ect. my car or driving down the freeway with windows down.)
How can I file for workers comp? My boss thinks I'm full of **** and thinks I'm just making this all up

Old 01-29-2012, 04:01 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Are you saying you can't work? Not sure how to file.GL

Old 01-29-2012, 04:04 PM

I can work fine, my ear just rings nonstop ever since that day, I've tried looking up what could have caused this but no luck.

Old 01-29-2012, 04:10 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

Hopefully you can figure something out. I'm sure there's got to be some sort of compensation for loss of hearing.

Old 01-29-2012, 04:12 PM

Most companies will require you to have reported the incident when it happened. See your company's HR department. You will have to fill out a large amount of paperwork, take a **** test, etc. if approved, you generally get 65% or your regular pay after you use any paid time off you have.

Old 01-29-2012, 04:12 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by jwjones
How can I file for workers comp? My boss thinks I'm full of **** and thinks I'm just making this all up
You should talk to your boss and make a report about the ringing in ear.
That way you have a record of it.

Old 01-29-2012, 04:13 PM

Keep in mind guys our company has about 6 people TOTAL, we are a automotive service shop.
Family owned business

Old 01-29-2012, 04:18 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Not sure about filing the paper work for workers comp in Texas (I'm in Ontario, Canada). But I would make a trip to the doctor your first stop. Or more specifically, an ear testing lab. Get a hearing check. You know. Where they put you in a room with headphones and test how well you can hear a range of frequencies in each ear.

Without getting a doctor involved, it'll be just your word against your employer. Although your employer should be taking you more seriously. However, without knowing your employer, I suspect he/she may probably just be looking out to save his/her own butt from an expensive on the job injury case.

It's always a good idea to get a hearing test done early on in your working life, even if you haven't already damaged your hearing. Just to get a "base line" test to compare to later on if/when something like this happens.

If you have a family practitioner (family doctor) that you go to, make him/her your first stop.

Old 01-29-2012, 04:25 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by jwjones
Keep in mind guys our company has about 6 people TOTAL, we are a automotive service shop.
Family owned business
Hopefully your boss will work with you on this ringing in ear ..

Old 01-29-2012, 04:34 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

What they mean about reporting to your boss as soon as possible, is this...

Worker's comp will ask you a bunch of questions regarding the details of the accident. One of the questions is how long it took you to report it to your boss/HR department. And how long it took you to do something about it.

I went through this myself. Injured my back at work. But it was on my last day of work that week, near the end of the day. I didn't feel all that bad at the time. Just a little twinge in the back. But when I woke up the next day, I could hardly move and there was no position that I could get into that was comfortable. That was on a my day off. I already had an appointment for my family doctor the next day (coincidence). When I saw him, I told him about it. And it went from there. I reported it to my boss when I went back to work two days after the accident. My employer took the appropriate actions and got worker's comp involved like they were supposed to.

A worker's comp rep called me a few days later. I was in excruciating pain. The workers comp rep asked me a whole boat load of questions. Many of them were the same question, just re-worded. (which is done intentionally -- to try and catch you in a lie) The rep on the phone focused a lot of attention to the fact it took me two days to report it to my boss.

Basically, worker's comp reps will say and do anything to try and prove you're a liar. That rep on the phone even out right called me a liar twice.

Being a small family business, cases like yours usually mean you won't be working there much longer. Legally they can't fire you for the injury. But they usually find some other bullsh*t excuse to fire you. It sucks, I know. But unfortunately that's how life works sometimes.

Hopefully this turns out well, and your hearing loss is only temporary.

Quick Reply: Filing for workers comp?