Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Fighting a speeding ticket on Tuesday..

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 09:12 PM
Default Fighting a speeding ticket on Tuesday..

I got pulled over for speeding on my way home from Austin one night when I picked up my girlfriend. We were on our way back home to Dallas at about 10pm when I got pulled over by a highway patrol. He told me I was doing 80mph in a 70mph when I never was. That night I was driving my mom's car because mine was having issues with the clutch. My mom's car (2005 Pontiac G6) shakes horribly at 80mph and up and that night I had my cruise control set at 73mph. I know I wasn't speeding because 1. The car wasn't shaking at all, and 2. I looked down at the speedometer when I realized a cop was trying to pull me over and it read "73mph". There was also a car next to us driving completely even with us and wouldn't let us over to pull over. I pulled over and the officer was very quick about giving me my ticket, handed me my ticket within 5min. Spoke extremely fast and gave us the ticket even faster. I will be going to court on Tuesday to fight this ticket because its bogus and I know I wasn't speeding. Is there anything I can do to win this in court? Granted I have had speeding tickets before but I do know for a FACT I was not speeding this time, any other time I've admitted to the citation and paid for it and moved on with my life. I believe the cop pulled over the wrong person because my girlfriend said she saw him coming from miles back and it took him a good 10min to pull us over. What can I do?

Old 01-22-2012, 09:34 PM

contest the the ticket did he get you on radar or his psedometer.Doesn't any difference you want to ask when was it calibrated and when was the cop last time certified to use that gun .

Old 01-22-2012, 10:12 PM

Did he show you the radar? Not sure what you can do honestly I've never fought any of my tickets and now I wish I had because 2 of them were total BS

Old 01-22-2012, 10:27 PM

Pay the ticket and walk away. You said the speed limit was 70 Mph and you had the cruise set at 73 Mph. You were speeding by at least 3 Mph. The cruise my be off and that can occur by tire wear or even a different tire than oem off the assembly line. Cruise controls also have a two or three mile per hour differential set in it. What that means is that if you set the cruise at 70 with a 3 Mph differential it will slow down to 67 Mph and it gives gas until it hits 73 Mph and it releases the gas. Im sure the differential is less than 3 but you get the idea. That is why the cops usually give you some leeway before issuing a ticket. His radar may be off as well. Going to court could get you the ticket plus court costs and other bs fees. Just pay the ticket and move on.

Last edited by mousehousemoparman; 01-22-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:38 PM

In Pennsylvania all the court costs and fees are included in the ticket, so you might as well take it to court if you can. I say "if you can" because I realize it might not be worth it to miss school, work, etc. I don't know what your local laws are. It's ridiculous here, if you read through the ticket here the actual fine might be something like $30-$50, but the total you pay is like $150 (court costs, etc. as already mentioned).

Old 01-22-2012, 10:39 PM

Pay the ticket and take defensive driving so it won't go on your record ! They will always take the side of DPS

Old 01-22-2012, 11:05 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You can go to court and plead your case and if you lose I think the fine will still be the same. You never know what might happen.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:03 AM

Here in Florida the ticket is one price and you can pay that or go to court. If you go to court and loose the judge can change the ticket amount and then they assess court costs and other fees. They have set it up so better tnan 90 percent loose. Really the only hope of winning here is if the cop doesn't show up. They have started fining the cops for not showing up for court.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by mousehousemoparman
Here in Florida the ticket is one price and you can pay that or go to court. If you go to court and loose the judge can change the ticket amount and then they assess court costs and other fees. They have set it up so better tnan 90 percent loose. Really the only hope of winning here is if the cop doesn't show up. They have started fining the cops for not showing up for court.
In Florida, I would not go to court over it either then.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by KJRich
In Florida, I would not go to court over it either then.
JW is in Texas. Florida and Texas have a lot of similar laws. It would not surprise me if he has the same stacked justice system there. Almost reminds me of the stories I used to hear of the Kangaroo Courts. I used to hear the fine was how ever much money you had in your pocket and if not enough jail time/ hard labor or your car.

Quick Reply: Fighting a speeding ticket on Tuesday..