Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: Are you a safe driver ? ? ?
Yes, I'm a safe driver 4-Sure
40.00%
No, I shouldn't be on the roads
10.00%
I'm a safe driver some of the time, but not all of the time
50.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

> Fatal Distraction ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 09:03 PM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
Teenage drivers today, IMO...
Take driving for granted. Driving is a PRIVELEDGE.
Not... A right of passage. Or an Entitlement.
^True story. Especially with all the fancy phones to distract them. They think they're invincible, although if that's the case so does half of everyone else.

I saw so much crap commuting 45 miles each way to and from school every day for six years. Some people just flat out amaze me. Construction zones are the worst. One day we're dead stopped on the highway and this chick decides she's going to pass me outside the barrels, in the closed lane, so I quickly speed up and hang with her on the inside of the barrels not letting her back in. She eventually stopped, me doing the same alongside of her, and threw the biggest fit I've ever seen. You have no more right to be further ahead than I do, so deal with it. Some people's arrogance, when put in a vehicle, is sickening. I could go on about this crap all day.

Also, just because you've never gotten a ticket doesn't automatically mean you're a "safe" driver. It just means you haven't been caught.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:27 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

Personally, I think ANY hand held device, whether it be a cell phone or a music player, should be banned from being used by ANY driver of ANY age. The technology is there for everything to work hands free, bluetooth, etc. I've seen SO MUCH stupid stuff being done by people on cell phones that it's scary just being around someone like that. And yes, I DO talk on the cell phone for brief periods to LadyT, and that's about it. Usually 30 seconds or less.

As for the drunk drivers, that's a diferent story, but just as scarey. Harder to deal with that one, and every bit as dangerous.

To me tho, the cell phones are the bigger problem, cuz it's so wide spread.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:26 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

I think I am pretty safe by my standards. I have never totaled a car or hurt anyone but when I think back to all the crazy driving I did as a teen I am happy to be here. We drove big cars made with lots of metal not like most of the cars on the road today. I think that contributes to the amount of fatal crashes. When I was 17 or 18 I was in an accident with a friend driving, we were in a 74 impala and hit by a 90's Dodge Daytona that ran a red light at about 45 miles an hour. We were going 40 mph and were hit right in passenger door. I didnt even get a scratch. Both the driver and passenger of the dodge went to the hospital. If I was in a modern car I dont think I would have survived.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:28 PM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member

I'm safe to my standards. I've always been a very aware driver and can judge others' moves before they happen pretty well. I have been in two instances while I myself was driving: (1) in my 03 Monte that totaled that car and (2) in our 94 Suburban which I was very lucky to not roll.

(1) The instance with my 03 Monte was not my fault but the car was totaled. A lady in a late 90's 4-door Blazer made a unprotected left-hand turn in the middle of a large, busy intersection (6 lanes of traffic one direction of traffic, five in the other). It was a Saturday evening so traffic was light but nonetheless she still managed to make her turn right as I was rolling 45mph through the intersection. The impact completely stopped my car dead in the middle of the intersection and turned it facing 120 degrees to the right. I sent the lady's Blazer all the way into the corner of the intersection and pushed the trucks' passenger front tire halfway into the firewall. I wish I had taken pictures at the scene but my phone was dead at the time. The devastation I caused to the Blazer itself was insane. To this day I'm still not sure what she was doing but I'm pretty sure she wasn't paying attention, looked up and saw the green light and just went. Both her and I were okay. I've shown pictures of my 03 Monte after the wreck before but, in case you're curious, there's a few pics in my garage album.

(2) The instance with the Suburban was during winter and it was snowing. It was one of those days where the snow had melted somewhat earlier in the day and formed ice below the now falling snow that was covering the road. I was driving on a mostly straight road, slower than the posted speed limit for what I thought was safe, behind a car. We approached the road's first curve; a slight left bend. A quarter of the way through the car in front of me starts sliding and, at this point, I'm committed to (A) the speed I'm going and (B) the curve itself. I get halfway into the curve and the rear end just breaks lose hardcore. I took my foot off the accelerator and quickly turned the steering wheel hard right but it wasn't enough. I slid across the oncoming lane, where thankfully there was no oncoming traffic, and down into the grass sideways, still moving at a decent speed, turned backwards and into a wood fence. Ended up sliding sideways, driver side first, into one of the posts where it stopped facing 270 degrees around from my initial travel direction. It happened so fast but I was very lucky the truck didn't catch in the grass and roll.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:19 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member

Safe always.

But I have been informed about "Speed Limited to 107MPH". Is that being unsafe?

Old 03-24-2013, 06:46 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 06mistreSS
I'm safe to my standards. I've always been a very aware driver and can judge others' moves before they happen pretty well. I have been in two instances while I myself was driving: (1) in my 03 Monte that totaled that car and (2) in our 94 Suburban which I was very lucky to not roll.

(1) The instance with my 03 Monte was not my fault but the car was totaled. A lady in a late 90's 4-door Blazer made a unprotected left-hand turn in the middle of a large, busy intersection (6 lanes of traffic one direction of traffic, five in the other). It was a Saturday evening so traffic was light but nonetheless she still managed to make her turn right as I was rolling 45mph through the intersection. The impact completely stopped my car dead in the middle of the intersection and turned it facing 120 degrees to the right. I sent the lady's Blazer all the way into the corner of the intersection and pushed the trucks' passenger front tire halfway into the firewall. I wish I had taken pictures at the scene but my phone was dead at the time. The devastation I caused to the Blazer itself was insane. To this day I'm still not sure what she was doing but I'm pretty sure she wasn't paying attention, looked up and saw the green light and just went. Both her and I were okay. I've shown pictures of my 03 Monte after the wreck before but, in case you're curious, there's a few pics in my garage album.

(2) The instance with the Suburban was during winter and it was snowing. It was one of those days where the snow had melted somewhat earlier in the day and formed ice below the now falling snow that was covering the road. I was driving on a mostly straight road, slower than the posted speed limit for what I thought was safe, behind a car. We approached the road's first curve; a slight left bend. A quarter of the way through the car in front of me starts sliding and, at this point, I'm committed to (A) the speed I'm going and (B) the curve itself. I get halfway into the curve and the rear end just breaks lose hardcore. I took my foot off the accelerator and quickly turned the steering wheel hard right but it wasn't enough. I slid across the oncoming lane, where thankfully there was no oncoming traffic, and down into the grass sideways, still moving at a decent speed, turned backwards and into a wood fence. Ended up sliding sideways, driver side first, into one of the posts where it stopped facing 270 degrees around from my initial travel direction. It happened so fast but I was very lucky the truck didn't catch in the grass and roll.
The important thing Matt, your ok!
and everyone walked away unharmed!
I know im glad your here.