Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

drove a 2006 impala ss 5.3l today...wasn't that impressed

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 06:46 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member
Default RE: drove a 2006 impala ss 5.3l today...wasn't that impressed

yah i'm really looking forward to that
well your not too far away haha

i think it would be close right now...the monte i would figure is a little faster than the impala...but i just didn't see much comparison to my car and the impala...so i figured once i got my pulley on i should easily be able to keep up with a 5.3l monte ....

i will post as soon as i find out though

Old 05-09-2007, 07:14 PM

[align=center]
ORIGINAL: Revitupfaster

I would like to see the results of a 3.9 vs a 3.8 Supercharged. As well as a 3.8Supercharged vs a 5.3V8.
As I said I've had everything except the 3.9, which is rated virtually with the same HP as the 3.8 Supercharged.

I really can't imagine any 3.8 S/C no matter what the mods being able to stay with the V8. The cubes just aren't there, and nothing in my opinion, will replace that.

Josh, I hope you can find someone with an 06/07 SS and clear up this issue.
[/align][align=center]Let's see Bill, -RevItUpFaster - and `Josh -Mod Wiz Kidd[/align][align=center]both live in Canada. Rev has an 07 SS & Wiz has[/align][align=center]a 3.8 SuperCharged SS.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I think they should meet half-way...find a country road[/align][align=center]and line them up....[/align][align=center]Oh, make sure you record it & post it on the MCF.[/align][align=center]That would be SuperCharged : )[/align][align=center]I'd love 2 see it : ) WoW...[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Live WebCast from the MCF[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]RevItUpFaster[/align][align=center]vs[/align][align=center]The `Mod Kidd [/align][align=center][/align][align=left][/align][align=center]________________________________[/align][align=center]Stay Tuned 4 Updates[/align][align=center][:-][/align]

Old 05-09-2007, 07:29 PM

ORIGINAL: SpaceRider

[align=center]

I would like to see the results of a 3.9 vs a 3.8 Supercharged. As well as a 3.8Supercharged vs a 5.3V8.
As I said I've had everything except the 3.9, which is rated virtually with the same HP as the 3.8 Supercharged.

I really can't imagine any 3.8 S/C no matter what the mods being able to stay with the V8. The cubes just aren't there, and nothing in my opinion, will replace that.

[/align][align=center]Let's see Bill, -RevItUpFaster - and `Josh -Mod Wiz Kidd[/align][align=center]both live in Canada. Rev has an 07 SS & Wiz has[/align][align=center]a 3.8 SuperCharged SS.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I think they should meet half-way...find a country road[/align][align=center]and line them up....[/align][align=center]Oh, make sure you record it & post it on the MCF.[/align][align=center]That would be SuperCharged : )[/align][align=center]I'd love 2 see it : ) WoW...[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Live WebCast from the MCF[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]RevItUpFaster[/align][align=center]vs[/align][align=center]The `Mod Kidd [/align][align=center]________________________________[/align][align=center]Stay Tuned 4 Updates[/align][align=center][:-][/align]
YEAH! I'd buy a ticket[8D]

Old 05-09-2007, 09:12 PM
5 Year Member

that would be fun haha

Old 05-09-2007, 11:46 PM

Boost can make up for cubes, but the 8 will have more overall power due to the extra 2 pistons and the smoother combustion cycle. A 6 cylinder hits every 60* where an 8 hits 45*.

Don't mistake me though, if you put the same mods or equivilent mods on a V8, the 8 will smoke it every time. If you want to compare like this though, then we need to talk diesel or better yet, turbo deisel.

Old 05-10-2007, 07:12 AM
5 Year Member

yah...i just think its i was expecting a lot more cuz it was a v8...dont get me wrong..its an awesome car!! i love it...but i was just expecting a little more power

Old 05-10-2007, 01:35 PM

OUCH..that hurts Wiz! LOL! I drove a SC Dale Earnhardt edition the same day I bought my '06 SS. I drove the 5.3L first and admit that when I got on it that I had a pretty good smile on my face. The combination of power and the sound of the exhaust (love it!) is great. I then drove the SC Monte and it just didn't compare to the V8. I'm sure that the mods on yours have made a big difference though.

All Monte's are awesome in my opinion though! They are one of the few cars out there that have some style!

Old 04-16-2008, 06:33 PM

I traded my 2 door Grand Prix GTP in for a 06 MC SS. My GTP has the same S/C engine as the 04 – 05 MC Supercharged SS.

I drove the 2007 4-door Grand Prix GXP 5.3L V8 at the dealership and couldn’t feel the difference from my stock GTP except it was a little more responsive at the higher speeds.

I drove the 2006 Monte Carlo SS 5.3L V8 and really felt the difference! The Monte had much more pull than the 3.8 S/C and the 4-door 5.3L Grand Prix.

I have 2 friends with stock 2-door GTP’s with the S/C engine and I raced one of them with my 06 Monte. After pulling 3 and a half car spaces ahead of him on the highway, I thought he wasn’t trying. But after we met up later he assured me that he gave it all he had.

I can only assume that the 5.3L Impala SS is slower like the Grand Prix GXP with the same engine. The 2-door Montes are lighter and faster.

Back in my GTP days I raced my 2-door GTP against some 4-door GTPs of the same year and won each time. I kept my car stock.

*Revitupfaster
I talked to a Chevy dealer about the 3.8 S/C vs. the 3.9. He said they both have 240hp but the 3.8 S/C has more torque and will be faster than the newer 3.9. Same HP, more torque so that makes sense.
3.9 L LZ9 V6 240 hp 245 ft·lb.
3.8 L S/C V6 240 hp 280 ft·lb.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:54 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

wow... alot of old dead threads are being revived here lately.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:50 PM

WOW! almost a year old but it was a good read though. Had me into it

Quick Reply: drove a 2006 impala ss 5.3l today...wasn't that impressed