Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

drove a 2006 impala ss 5.3l today...wasn't that impressed

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 08:39 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member
Default drove a 2006 impala ss 5.3l today...wasn't that impressed

hey, so i took a 2006 impala ss 5.3l for a test drive today...thinking ok this is gonna be great! the car is very nice dont get me wrong there..that would be my choice for a family vehicle right now

but my 2005 3.8l supercharged is way faster and way more responsive in my opinion...it will lay down way more rubber...i just wasn't that impressed with the impala speed wise...very nice car..i love the car..just speed i thought would be a lot better...

Old 05-08-2007, 08:44 PM
Default RE: drove a 2006 impala ss 5.3l today...wasn't that impressed

haha what can i say once you've driven the best everything else is just "the rest" hahahaha

Old 05-08-2007, 08:50 PM

Hmm... interesting. I never drove the Impala SS. The dealer asked me if I was interested & I told him no. I have no idea how it would feel acceleration-wise. But I would think similar to the Monte SS. Maybe not. I also have never driven a 3.8L supercharged MC soI have no idea how it compares. But as many of you know I did own a C6 Corvette up until very recently & I can tell you first hand my new MC SS still impresses the hell out of me with it's acceleration.
Wiz, have you ever driven the 06/07 Monte SS? Could ait possiblybe that your expectations aresomewhat high for the 5.3 motor? I was really not expecting the performance with the 5.3L SS motor, coming from the Vette, so for me it was a pleasant surprise.
Cheers,
Glenn

Old 05-09-2007, 07:32 AM
5 Year Member

i think its that i was expecting more out of it...i thought the v8 would be a huge improvement over the v6, but then mine is supercharged with some mods, but then i've been able to beat a lot of other v8's with my monte.

i dont know if there's any difference excelleration wise between the impala and the monte ss(06-07 models) because someone was posting on here that he raced an impala and it beat him...so i'm not sure

dont get me wrong, its an awesome car and i would love to have it, but i was just expecting more being a v8

but i do love the inside of the car and the look of the car...would make a good family vehicle for me

Old 05-09-2007, 09:47 AM

[blockquote][align=center][/align]
FYI:
Below are Road Test on the 06 Impala SS V-8
&
the 3.8 SuperCharged V-6 SS

[/blockquote]
[blockquote][align=center][/align][/blockquote][align=center][/align][align=center]Some of us get a Slow Dog : ([/align][align=center][/align][align=center]and someget the `Fast Rabbit [/align][align=center][/align][align=center]__________________________________________________ ___--[/align][align=center][align=center][/align][/align][align=center]Below are some links about the Impala SS & Monte SS[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]After stepping out from behind the wheel, the driver can’t help being impressed by the SS’s power and its ability to generate astonishing numbers — 0 to 60 in 5.6 seconds, for one. The SS seems to have been created to produce impressive numbers on paper with little regard to driver enjoyment.[/align][align=center]Same HP as Monte 303 HP[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][:-]Click Link [:-][/align][align=center]http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtests/11028/road-test-review-2006-chevrolet-impala-ss.html[/align][align=center]
[hr]
[/align][align=center][align=center]Obviously, the biggest upgrade is what lurks under the hood—a Supercharged version of GM’s 3800 Series II pushrod V-6, which makes 240 horsepower at 5200 rpm and 280 pound-feet of torque at 3600 and is paired with a beefier four-speed auto. Compared with the standard SS, that’s an upgrade of 40 horsepower and 55 pound-feet.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]At the track, the Monte’s newfound power and chassis enhancements were evident.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]We ripped off:[/align][align=center]0 to 60 mph in 6.5 seconds and the quarter-mile in 15.1 at 93 mph,[/align][align=center][align=center][/align][/align][align=center][:-]Click below 4 Complete Test [:-][/align][align=center]http://www.caranddriver.com/shortroadtests/8212/chevrolet-monte-carlo-supercharged-ss.html[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Mod Wiz, yours is just a SuperFast Monte Carlo SS[

Old 05-09-2007, 12:58 PM

My last Monte was a 2004 SS "Supercharged". I thought it was pretty quick, as I had moved up from a 2001 SS with the 200hp 3.8 V6.
The S/C 3.8 seemed to me to have lots of go, up to about 70-80mph then the torque fell off raidly. To be expected with a 6 cylinder I would guess.
My 07 SS (5.3) is a whole other world. It pulls like "Jack the Bear" off the line, and keeps going like that til well over the 100mph mark, which is plenty fast for me.

My 04 Supercharged Monte although quick, just didn't have the all out brutepower the V8 does. I did not make any modifications at all to the 04 S/C Monte, which I assume would probably make it somewhat stronger, but in my opinion, nothing would bring it up to the 07 Standards.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:02 PM
5 Year Member

maybe its the mods i've done to it...cuz i can go straight to 120mph before it even starts to slow down on the acceleration rate, i guess i'll have drive 2 side by side to test them out

Old 05-09-2007, 02:31 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I can see where the 5.3 Impala would feel slower vs the 5.3 Monte.

You're hauling around 2 extra doors and a larger roof with the Impala.

People state they love the performance of their 3.9 V6 Montes but I've yet to hear of anyone who owns one going up against a supercharged 3.8 Monte.

We saw a Monte at the Montes @ MIS event with an add-on aftermarket turbo unit. I'd like to find out what one would do to the 3.9 in my LTZ?

Old 05-09-2007, 02:45 PM

According to the specs on MSN autos,the 2006 Impala SS weighs 3711 lbs.The 2006 Monte Carlo SS weighs 3395 lbs.I have the original order and shipping invoice for my 06 SS and it has the actualshipping weight of 3410 lbs.listed on it.That is 300 lbs less than the Impala,which in itself would make the Monte Carlo quicker.

Old 05-09-2007, 04:17 PM

I would like to see the results of a 3.9 vs a 3.8 Supercharged. As well as a 3.8Supercharged vs a 5.3V8.
As I said I've had everything except the 3.9, which is rated virtually with the same HP as the 3.8 Supercharged.

I really can't imagine any 3.8 S/C no matter what the mods being able to stay with the V8. The cubes just aren't there, and nothing in my opinion, will replace that.

Josh, I hope you can find someone with an 06/07 SS and clear up this issue.

Quick Reply: drove a 2006 impala ss 5.3l today...wasn't that impressed