Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Drive like a Cop : )

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 01:13 PM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Drive like a Cop : )

[align=left][:-] DRIVE LIKE A COP [:-][/align][align=left][/align][align=center][/align][align=left] [:-]OK [:-][/align][align=left][/align]
Drive Like a Cop
[/align]Tips to help you survive the mean streets
Joe Hollingsworth / autoMedia.com

The FBI says police officers are about as likely to be killed in a vehicle crash as with a criminal's gun. Cops drive in a high-threat, workload-intensive environment: blaring sirens, flashing computers, screaming radios, civilian drivers seemingly bent on kamikaze attacks, and, at their destination, angry bad guys who don't particularly respect public servants. All reasons that cops take driving very seriously. With feedback from officers in the field, law-enforcement driving instructors have compiled numerous tips to help their students avoid becoming a statistic. Here, we pass those along to you.

[/align]
Watch Your Hands

Airbags save lives, but many a police officer has been unnecessarily injured because their hands were over the airbag when it went off. At the school for law-enforcement driving instructors I recently attended, the story was told of an officer who was driving with his wrist draped over the top of the steering wheel. His attention was diverted by the in-car computer and he smashed into a car that suddenly pulled in front of him: the deploying airbag broke his lower arm and caused his own hand to break out his front teeth. While driving straight, police instructors say that your hands should be at three and nine o'clock on the steering wheel. If you MUST be lazy, try four and eight o'clock. Also, the police instructors say, learn the "shuffle steering" technique where the left hand never ventures to the right side of the wheel and vice versa. To turn right, first pull down with the right hand. Next release the right hand grip while pushing up with the left hand and raising the right hand up to grab more wheel. Repeat. With practice, it's possible to drive as fast as possible through the tightest course without your hands going above 10 and two.

Side Windows

Side windows should be all the way up or all the way down. Imaging a pane of glass, edge on, banging into your temple. Now picture a side-impact car crash that snaps your neck against a partially open side window. A guillotine is only slightly more efficient. Because few officers enjoy collecting dismembered body parts from the roadway, your side windows should be all the way up or all the way down. For vehicles with side windows that don't go below the top of the door, this means "all the way up all the time." Fully raised is preferable over fully lowered because it's far better to hit your head against the raised side glass than, say, the brush guard of the SUV that T-boned you in the door.

Lock Your Doors

Preventing carjacking is but a side benefit of this tip. A closed car door will help keep your arms, legs and head inside the vehicle. Police driving instructors claim that a locked door is 10 times more likely to stay closed in a crash. The incredible forces in a wreck mean that even belted occupants can be partially ejected if the doors fly open. In secon

Old 02-14-2007, 02:54 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Drive like a Cop : )

Space,
Are you studing law enforcement by any chance?

A lot of the things you mentioned, I do while driving. I back into parking spaces as much as possible. I know how "FUN" it is to try to back out with two giant SUVs beside you.

I also lock my car doors all the time.
(true story here)
The guy I grew up with was assaulted one night on his way home. He didn't have his pass door locked and a guy got in and ordered my friend to drive him to another town. My friend refuses and this guy assaulted him byt hitting him in the face. The cops somehow arrived but by this time my friend needed ER attention.

The idiot with the high beams on rings a loud bell with me. Since I live outside the city I have to drive past a lot of pickups and SUVs at night. Many farmers drive them. And we all know a pickup truck and SUV has the headlights right in your immediate vision if you're driving a car. Well many times I've come upon one of the drivers who refuse to turn their high beams down. It's enough to make you want to smash out their headlights. But my father taught me to look at the white line on the side of the road when you happen on one of these ##$%^* moron drivers.

Old 02-14-2007, 03:43 PM

Hi RJ, no I'm not studying law enforcement, but I swear they are studying me

I respect law enforcement, but I believe they have become human garbage collector's
and have become targets for all the criminals in our world : ( Oh, thrash garbage collector's
make more money then the police officers : ( It's sad, but our country needs more police officers, but I would be dangerous with a gun... It's becoming a dangerous World we live [X(]

Mod Bigg `J is going into law enforcement & I admire his dedication & wish him a safe career.
My major is in Business and that's also has become a dangerous field to be in. A lot of business owners are getting robbed and shot : (
Peace 2 all, `Space

Old 02-14-2007, 03:59 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

driving style of cops up here in canada

turn on your sirens drive down the main street as fast as the car will go, then slam on the brakes right @ the tim hortons (coffee shop) and turn in...

this is true..because we're about a block from tim hortons and i've watched them go by on the main street (35mph speed limit) going about 100 mph easily...all you see is a blur...then they pull into tim hortons..its funny sometimes...i'm waiting for one of them to get into an accident doing that...it will just be too bad for the person(s) they hit

Old 02-14-2007, 05:17 PM

ill be driving like a cop in a few months as i become an emt soon. so i getto drive the ambulance. heres food for thought, if you are driving adn you have a green light and continue through the light as normal and are struck by an emergency vehicle whos fault do you think it is? well its theirs seeing they are supposed to STOP at all red lights and then contiue. all red lights for the with sirens on are stop signs. so next time let them hit you, say the tone of the siren hadent changed, and they didnt stop. you will be very wealthy

Old 02-14-2007, 05:34 PM

[align=center]
ORIGINAL: wiz kidd

driving style of cops up here in canada

turn on your sirens drive down the main street as fast as the car will go, then slam on the brakes right @ the tim hortons (coffee shop) and turn in...
[/align][align=center]Moderator Wiz Kidd[/align][align=center]Is it the Tim Hortons on 228 Dundas Street,[/align][align=center]in Woodstock, Canada ?[/align][align=center]Phone # 421-3773 [/align][align=center]They get free coffee & doughnuts there [/align][align=center]and their restrooms are clean.[/align][align=center][:-]Looks like U go there [:-][/align]
[IMG]local://upfiles/714/A77AE4DD4A4F479FBC1C21A04A718B7E.jpg[/IMG]
[:-]Police & Coffee just go 2-gether....it's part of there equipment
[IMG]local://upfiles/714/6B94ADD80320438DAD934DEC462BB97B.jpg[/IMG]
The Police are like that here in Florida.
The Canadian down here, speak of Tim Hortons & like their Coffee
97silverls, good luck on the job....wish U Safe miles, `space

Old 02-14-2007, 05:37 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

lol..thats at the other end of town..the one thats near me would be

tim hortons
942 dundas st
519-539-5371

just a little further down the list..there's like 8 or 9 of these in woodstock..lol...3 of them on the main street and there's always cops at all of them..lol..

and yes they get free coffee..lol..but i dont know about the bathrooms being clean...lol

Old 02-14-2007, 11:36 PM
rj
15 Year Member

I admire anyone willing to take on the responsiblity of law enforcement.

Space,
I too took business in college. Even got's myselfes a degree in it's. Like it's done me any good. Paid for it all myselfs.

I remember when my dad was a Deputy we got in certain places for free.

Old 02-15-2007, 07:20 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

I called 911 on a county mounty saturday morning, not because of the way he was driving, but because of the way he WASN'T driving. He was SLEEPING! Again! Fourth time I've caught him on the same road. Too much snow covering his car for him to be awake. 2nd time I've called, 1st on record. I told the dispatcher to WAKE HIM UP! 2nd time I caught him, there was so much snow on the car you couldn't hardly tell it was a cop. 10mi from town tho! My radar detector tells me he wasn't working.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2319272

Old 02-15-2007, 11:59 AM

HA thats a good one, when the CITY cops around here do traffic details on the city streets and they are in their car they all play solitare on the laptops that they have. The state troopers play checkers and chess.

Quick Reply: Drive like a Cop : )