Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

> Don't get taken 4 a `Ride when it comes to car repairs <

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 06:10 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Angry > Don't get taken 4 a `Ride when it comes to car repairs <

WHAT TO DO BEFORE YOU TAKE YOUR CAR IN < Click to read/learn/see
Seeing that engine light come on doesn't have to spell disaster -- as long as you take a simple step before dropping off your car.

Quick search could save you lots

Owning a car can be expensive, especially when that check engine light comes on. The warning usually means you have to make a trip to the mechanic, and spend a boatload of money.

If this happens, visit your local auto repair shop and get an estimate of what needs to be done, but don't agree to everything on the spot. Instead, take the estimate and do some research at home.

A great place to start is on a site calledRepairPal.com. This handy website not only helps you find the best mechanics in your area, but it also offers a list of common makes and models, as well as the problems you may experience with them. **Has any member used RepairPal.com ? Post your reviews ? Thanks

Beyond that, the site provides an extensive encyclopedia that allows you to look up car part functions and the definition of services so no one can take advantage of you. Create an online estimate for your car issues, and if you're not happy with the in-person estimate you were given, the site will help you find a reputable auto repair shop in your area.

Last edited by Space; 10-17-2012 at 06:15 AM.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:27 AM
Default Example below

Hi Member's, below is an Example of what I found on
RepairPal.com (It's free) & I hope it helps a member
Automatic Transmission Diagnosis for your 2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo near 32792

RepairPrice

Estimate

<SUP class=orange>TM</SUP>$83to$106Customized for your location
How much should I pay?

Estimate Includes:

Labor
$83-$106

RepairPrice Estimates are based on the estimated time for the repair, labor rates charged by trained automotive professionals, and prices for quality parts.
These estimates are designed to show a range of fair prices, instead of a single price, because there is more than one part that is appropriate to use in each repair, and more than a single mechanic who is qualified to do the repair.
Each estimate is customized for your vehicle and geographic area. Estimates exclude applicable taxes, diagnostic charges and disposal fees.

RepairPrice Estimate Details
RepairPal recommends using quality parts, and having those parts installed by a trained automotive professional.
These parts are typically made by the original equipment manufacturer or another producer of equivalent quality. These parts should come with a warranty of at least 12 months that covers both the parts and the labor required to replace the parts.
RepairPal recommends only allowing trained automotive professionals to work on your car to ensure the best results. These automotive professional should be certified by the ASE or trained by the manufacturer of your car.

Parts Included
No parts required.

Add to My ChecklistFind a Shop or Dealership

Best Practices

• Vehicles with computer controlled automatic transmissions may have upgradeable software in the transmission control module. Before repairs are made, the repair shop should check and verify that the latest software is installed. Transmission software upgrade information is often found in Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) from the vehicle manufacturer.
  • What may appear to be a transmission issue may actually be an engine performance problem. A shop should test drive the vehicle and perform a few checks to rule out an engine problem before focusing on the transmission.
  • If your vehicle has over 60–80,000 miles, a shop may recommend replacing the automatic transmission with a re-manufactured part rather than trying to repair an internal failure. The benefits to this approach are reduced future transmission problems and multi-year warranties on the new transmission. Transmission re-manufacturers may also include updates that address the common failures inherent in that specific transmission.
Common Symptoms

• When the transmission fluid is low, you may experience erratic, abnormal, or a loss of shifting. Low fluid indicates a possible fluid leak. The leak should be identified and repaired to prevent further damage to the transmission. We recommend against using any "stop leak" additives to address transmission fluid leaks.
  • Issues requiring a transmission diagnosis can include delayed or abnormal shifting, inability to shift into one or more gears, flashing transmission lights/indicators, and an illuminated Check Engine Light.
Still need help with your 2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo?

Ask a Question
See Common Problems <~ Click to view

Old 10-17-2012, 06:49 AM

Thanks for the info space. I put repairpal.com in my favorites.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:35 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DE02Carlo
Thanks for the info space. I put repairpal.com in my favorites.

You are welcome `Joe, I also put it in my files...
They give some good infor & it's free...I think it's worth a check to get estimates on repairs.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:46 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thanks for posting Space! Repairs can be super expensive. Especially if you go to a dealership for all your repairs. The lesson here: Learn how to do minor repairs yourself!

Old 10-18-2012, 08:57 AM

Thanks a bunch Space! I went to the site, found a recommended Chevy repair shop close by, and saved their address just in case. So far I've had terrific luck with my 2007 Monte - only minor glitches that were fixed quickly and easily. If I had a smilie face knocking on wood, I'd post it here:

Old 10-18-2012, 09:03 AM

Hi `Angie, I'm happy to read that you liked the site & that you were able to find a shop that is close 2 you...The site has some great infor & decent estimates if a owner has a problem & don't have to go into a shop unprepared...

Good Luck with your awesome 07 Monte 4-Sure