Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Documentation on DRL system 99 MonteCarlo

Old 10-24-2016, 12:38 AM
Default Documentation on DRL system 99 MonteCarlo

Hello,

I loved my 99 Monte Carlo.

Someone T-boned me in a T-intersection. The other guy's insurance company took 100% fault for the accident. For this type of accident, they had no choice, it was cut and dry. (Just like a rear-end collision, the rear car is almost universally at fault.)

But then three months later, supposedly a new witness stepped forward (the guy's dad) saying that I was driving with my lights off that night. So now I am being sued! I am being victimized a second time.

Unfortunately for them, as WE all know, you can't turn off the lights on a 99 MonteCarlo at night.

I am looking for documentation on how this system works. (the fact that it is impossible for a driver to unwittingly drive around a 99 Monte Carlo at night with its lights off) The owner's manual for the car is kind of unclear about this fact. It speaks generally about the DRL system, but does not make it clear that one can never manually turn off the lights when driving at night.

I'm thinking there might be other GM brochures that have this information, or that make this fact clear. I'd hate to think MY insurance company is going to have to pay an expert witness GM engineer loads of cash to testify. And a GM dealership manual or brochure or something would be a lot more effective in the hands of a jury.

(And BTW, the car was a 100% stock MonteCarlo. There was nothing chewed up/disabled etc.)

Old 10-24-2016, 08:04 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I think I may have something that can decisively help your case. It's the 1999 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Product Information Guide, a 17-page PDF created by GM and made publicly available for download at an official GM website.

Here, let me read (verbatim) from page 3:
Crash Avoidance Features
• Daytime Running Lamps (DRL)
turn on automatically when the ignition is on and the parking brake is disengaged, to help increase Monte Carlo visibility to other drivers. The DRL system runs the headlamps at a reduced intensity compared to regular headlamp operation.
• Automatic Exterior Lamp Control works with Daytime Running Lamps and automatically activates the headlamps and all other exterior lamps to full intensity when light-sensitive sensors detect darkness for more than 20 seconds. The exterior lamps will shut off when the ignition is turned off.

And you're right, these systems were standard equipment in every 1999 MC, whether LS or Z34.

Not too long ago, I found this Product Information Guide at the GM Heritage Center website, in the media archive section. However, more recently they seem to have replaced it with a different document, a much bigger 63-page PDF of the '99 MC Dealer Order Guide, which is mostly technical specifications (and not so much car feature descriptions). Therefore, I've attached the Product Information Guide PDF to this post.

Here's the link to the Dealer Order Guide:
https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/doc...onte-Carlo.pdf

By rights, the statements in the Product Information Guide should be enough evidence for you to nuke that lawsuit right out of court. I hope it does!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
1999_MonteCarlo.pdf (450.3 KB, 103 views)
Old 10-24-2016, 07:40 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
Smile

Wow that's some great information. I have some service manuals but they are at home and I have no way to look a them from 350 miles away from home.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:40 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by Monte Marko
Hello,

Unfortunately for them, as WE all know, you can't turn off the lights on a 99 MonteCarlo at night.

I am looking for documentation on how this system works. (the fact that it is impossible for a driver to unwittingly drive around a 99 Monte Carlo at night with its lights off) The owner's manual for the car is kind of unclear about this fact. It speaks generally about the DRL system, but does not make it clear that one can never manually turn off the lights when driving at night.

I'm thinking there might be other GM brochures that have this information, or that make this fact clear. I'd hate to think MY insurance company is going to have to pay an expert witness GM engineer loads of cash to testify. And a GM dealership manual or brochure or something would be a lot more effective in the hands of a jury.

(And BTW, the car was a 100% stock MonteCarlo. There was nothing chewed up/disabled etc.)

Here is a reference for you. See if you can find the Haynes Repair Manual #24048 for the Chevrolet Lumina, Monte Carlo and Impala 1995-2001
Chapter 12 Page 12-13 Reference paragraph 18 Daytime Running Lights general information.
The Daytime Running Lights (DRL) system used on all Canadian and later US models illuminates the headlights whenever the engine is running. The only exception is with the engine running and the parking brake engaged. Once the parking brake is released the lights will remain on as long as the ignition switch is on, even if the parking brake is later applied.
The DRL system supplies reduced power to the headlights so they will be bright enough for daytime visibility while prolonging headlight life.

But with the parking brake as a floor mounted application it is only effective in case of emergency or if you are parked on a hill. to operate depress the pedal to disengage depress the pedal again. There is a dash light that is on when the parking brake is engaged.

Hope that information helps.

Old 10-26-2016, 05:08 AM

Thank you side street and drivernumber3 !!!

Search this Thread