Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Do you like the new Explorer?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 01:49 AM
Default Do you like the new Explorer?

Hey guys, do you like the new 2016 Explorer?
I know it's non Monte-related question, but still. I bet most of us has more than just one car, at least second car for family cruises
I like the new Explorer, it is nice-looking and quite spacious for the price.
However, the I4 EcoBoost reliability is questioned. I'd better buy a V6 version.

So, do you like it?/Would you buy it?

Some reviews on the web:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review
http://carsintrend.com/2016-ford-exp...ecs-and-price/
http://www.thecarconnection.com/over..._explorer_2016

Old 12-03-2015, 10:08 AM

I have a hard time with this one. For the first time in a long while, I actually like a Ford product. The only downside... it's a Ford. Happy to see that they are copying over design elements from foreign brands. The front end reminds me of something that would come on a land/range rover. Would I consider it, sure. But there are many others I would consider that place this at the back of the pack. I would openly opt for the v6 ecoboost.

Old 12-04-2015, 09:48 PM

Not too bad looking but it is still a ford haha

Old 12-05-2015, 09:52 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'd drive one of those! The Ecoboosted 4's aren't bad, but they aren't bad a$$ either. Ford has lots of great looking cars

Old 12-06-2015, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Landardin
However, the I4 EcoBoost reliability is questioned. I'd better buy a V6 version.
Just curious, do you have any evidence that the latest gen ecoboost 4 cylinders have a reliability issue? We researched them quite a bit when we picked up our 15 Edge with the ecoboost 4 and it really seemed like the superior option for those not concerned with max power (where the twin turbo v6 would be the better choice).

I know it's not apples to apples exactly with the explorer, but the powertrain offerings are similar. We drove both and I was extremely impressed with the 4 cylinder.

The torque feel is similar between the two and the 4 cylinder got notably better gas mileage.

It also looks to be far easier to work on. The engine bay is designed to fit the twin turbo v6, do having a tiny 4 cylinder block in there gives plenty of space.

It also looks to have plenty of space for a much bigger turbo if you wanted more max power at the expense of low speed spool.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:53 PM

Fords are looking better their lines are changing.

I could drive that it is a lot nicer than explorers of the past.

Front end looks a bit busy but still OK.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:03 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Police are taking to them like crazy.

Taking some getting used to to picking out an Explorer in the rearview after many years of watching out for Crown Vics.