Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: Do you know how to drive a manual transmission?
Yes : )
87.80%
No : (
7.32%
I try, but I grind : ( ^^^^^^^^the gears & `jerk : )
4.88%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Do you know `How to ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 11:41 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- November 2009
3 Year Member

My first jeep had a manual transmission!

Attached Thumbnails Do you know `How to ?-ray1957usafpedal300-jeep-pedal-car.jpg   Do you know `How to ?-stevensbeltringtriang300.jpg  
Old 03-03-2010, 11:01 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Of course I do! My last car was a stick!

Old 03-03-2010, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
I know how, but I prefer my automatic.

Just more fun to cruise with the windows down and not have to worry about shifting. One arm out the window getting an uneven tan...

But the sound of a healthy big block with a clutch and deep tone exhaust cruis'n away from a stop sign on a warm summer night. Hard to beat that.

One of my fondest memories was when I was about 8 or 9 years old, I was cruis'n with my uncle and a buddy of his in my uncle's 55 Nomad. While we were at a stop light, a deep maroon 69 Impala SS427 and 4 speed pulled up. Just as he rolled up, the light changed to green, shortly followed by the sweet sound of the 427 being cut loose across the intersection. Between the growl of the muncie 4 speed, rap of the exhaust and howl of the opening 4 barrel, there was a wonderful wiff of burning bias ply tires.:p

Those were the days, lots of muscle on the streets in the early 70s' and the cops were not as **** as they are today.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:20 PM

i know how to shift my mustang has a 6 speed that i put in it. it originally had a 5 speed i wanted to have the extra gear

Old 03-03-2010, 05:21 PM

i wish that my monte has a 5 speed manual in it but it does not but wish it did but i am not fretting about it

Old 03-03-2010, 08:38 PM

Learned to drive in a car with a 3 speed on the tree, graduated to a 4 speed, then to a 5. Have yet to drive a 6 speed. Taught both kids to drive with a manual. And let me tell you, my daughter can go through those gears without missing a beat. There was a time though when I was when teaching her that I really had my doubts about that. UGH!!!
I have my hot rod with a 4 speed that I drive when I want that "special" feeling. But I have to admit, I love the gas and go feature that came with my Monte. Especially after a long, hard day at work.

Last edited by Black Bowtie; 03-03-2010 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by STINGER-427
But the sound of a healthy big block with a clutch and deep tone exhaust cruis'n away from a stop sign on a warm summer night. Hard to beat that.

One of my fondest memories was when I was about 8 or 9 years old, I was cruis'n with my uncle and a buddy of his in my uncle's 55 Nomad. While we were at a stop light, a deep maroon 69 Impala SS427 and 4 speed pulled up. Just as he rolled up, the light changed to green, shortly followed by the sweet sound of the 427 being cut loose across the intersection. Between the growl of the muncie 4 speed, rap of the exhaust and howl of the opening 4 barrel, there was a wonderful wiff of burning bias ply tires.:p

Those were the days, lots of muscle on the streets in the early 70s' and the cops were not as **** as they are today.
Ahhhh! Such a sweet sound.......

Old 03-03-2010, 10:12 PM
CMC
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by STINGER-427

That reminds me that I can seemingly get away with more things when I drive the Camaro. I've dropped the clutch at a light before and didn't see that there was a cop 3 cars back. I thought I was going to get pulled over, instead I get a big smile and a thumbs up as he rides by. What ever it is about 1st gen Camaros, I like it. Except when I can't get gas without some guy coming up to me to talk my ear off about how he had one just like it/something like it back in the day.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:17 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Black Bowtie
Learned to drive in a car with a 3 speed on the tree, graduated to a 4 speed, then to a 5. Have yet to drive a 6 speed. Taught both kids to drive with a manual. And let me tell you, my daughter can go through those gears without missing a beat. There was a time though when I was when teaching her that I really had my doubts about that. UGH!!!
I have my hot rod with a 4 speed that I drive when I want that "special" feeling. But I have to admit, I love the gas and go feature that came with my Monte. Especially after a long, hard day at work.
I'd love to have a 5-speed in a couple of my '57s.

Which reminds me. I forgot to mention my '83 2.2 Dodge Charger. It was a 5-speed. I drove that car another 9 years after bringing it back to life.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:32 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Im OK at driving manual. Working at a body shop you see alot of manual cars that you have to drive. I still have trouble with some vehicles here and there. I never learned how to drive stick by actually owning one and driving it every day. All my vehicles have been autos so I learned at work from driving other peoples vehicles. Its not the same kinda practice so if I dont drive one in a while, I get a little rusty.