Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Do you Agree/Disagree?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 10:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Do you Agree/Disagree?

Aright, i just heard on the news today that they've killed a second cougard within the last few weeks in a town in BC because of attacks...

It pisses me right now when we as humans seem to think thats ok for us to take over their habitat and deal with them in this maner when THEY interfere with our lifestill...

they said that its a family of four and that they got 2 of them and the hunt is on for the other two.. WTF man?? not that for this either, but at least relocate them...

They are going to look into one of the dead cats to see if it was malnurished to see if that was the cause of one of the attacks (it attack a 3 year old walking with her mother in a trail)... hum hello, its what they do, they attack the small and the weak, like most predator...

Anyways.. what do you think? do think its ok to kill them?

Old 06-17-2009, 10:13 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

sucks to hear, isn't there a more humane way to take care of this? such as tranquilizer darts, cage and release?? hmm, but, what if that were you and your child!!!! there are so many different standards in this world, mike vick 19 months jail for dog abuse, dante stallworth 30 days for killing a senior while hmm, driving intoxicated, to many standards for to many of us, fame vs reality (you and me)!! it is very hard to set standards with some many different situations! just my opinion, i don't agree with any of it!! sorry,

Old 06-18-2009, 05:16 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I don't know. I consider myself a humanitarian and I have a no kill policy - I won't even kill spiders. Hit an animal with your car and watch who I have sympathy for (it ain't the car).

That being said, I think I'm okay with them killing cougars if they are attacking. This could be considered nature vs. nature. The cougars have no moral dilemma with killing us, so why should we be concerned about killing them? We're both entitled to life. Its nice if we can relocate them, but this is a more reasonable kill then most animals get to die for. Everyday hunters go out and shoot deer or foxes or snare rabbits - all which did them no harm - in the name of sport. I am more opposed to this then killing cougars to defend ourselves.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:27 AM

Seriously It makes me soo angry, so what a frog co…
answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061108142154AASjScw - Cached - Similar
More results from answers.yahoo.com »

Old 06-18-2009, 07:57 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

I love animals, and prefer catch and release (re-locate). But if it's a choice of my kid (or myself) or the animal, I'm sorry but the animal is going down.

And I honestly believe that anyone who says they would let the cougar attack them or their family is lying.

Yes, the survival of the fittest is the way of the wild. Like you said, it's what animals do. But that doesn't mean I have to let that animal do what ever it wants to me and my family. Catch and release is obviously the preferred thing to do. But sometimes you don't always have the luxury of making that choice.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:43 AM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

I have to agree with Taz. If its a choice between my family and an animal.

BANG!!

bye bye animal.

I'm not going to let anything happen to my family as long as i can help it. Also, instead of catch and release, they can put it in a wildlife sanctuary. Atleast there it will be cared for properly.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:40 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

That's what I meant to say JJ. Sorry.

Relocate it into a wildlife sanctuary. Not just release it back into the neighborhood.

I stand by my original post about my family or the animal. But Monte2K does bring up a good point though.

We have taken over the natural habitat of a lot of wild animals. Animals that now end up endangered or stuck into a small cage for the rest of it's life.

You won't see me in any animal rights protest rallies. But I don't like the idea of having a wild animal stuck in a small cage; and the only time he/she is let out is to jump through hoops under a circus tent.

I'm fine with hunting, fishing, and having wildlife preserves where animals can roam free in a safe environment. But circus animals are bullsh*t in my opinion. I don't attend protest rallies. I just don't give the circus my money. That's my protest.

Old 06-18-2009, 04:56 PM

I would put more blame to the realtors for trying to create suburbia in a dangerous enviornment. I would assume they knew the animals where there, but went ahead and started developing. If I was one of the people that ended living their and found out the cougars were there too I would plan on moving. Untill then if a cougar came after me or anyone else I saw I'd let my 30-06 take care of it.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:03 PM
10 Year Member

I think some of you took this as " the shot the animal while it was attacking "

that i agree with, if you need to defend yourself, by all means... but they went and hunted the animal, and at the time they were looking for the other 2 to do the same to them (not sure what has happen, havent heard anything since)

So if they can take time to search for it and kill it, they can take the time to relocate it.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member

By the way, the mother (brave woman) actually removed the child from in between the cougars paws (both paws on her head) and ran, the child only had minor punctures in her arms and i beleive very minor injuries to her head, she is fine (or was last i heard anything)

Quick Reply: Do you Agree/Disagree?