Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

DMV & Bank help needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 05:09 PM
Default DMV & Bank help needed

First off as all of you probably all know DMV sucks...............
Here's my delima I have a 86 monte Carlo that has 37,000 miles on it that has been setting in a garage for 10 year's that was givin to me at no charge all I had to do was get the title transferd to my name. Easy right?......................................Not with DMV
The Car belonged to my Wifes mom who has passed away the monte was in her Dads name he passed away 10 years earlyer and the car has set since then with dead tag's and everything just collecting dust.
Well when her mom passed I got it out to clean it up to try and sale and of course fell in love with it. So we have since spent the past 5 months trying to get the title the problam is DMV is showing a lean on it which took us forever to get from them what the lean holders name is.
All the time we are like how could there be a lean when the car has set for 10 years wouldnt someone have come for it ? Well after finding out who the lean was with which that bank was bought out by another and is under a different name now is what we find. So we get the proper paper work for them ie death certs,wills,and such now they send us a paper back asking us for the lean holder info WTF is that it's you guys we say. So now they say they need a paper from DMV stating who the lean holder is OMG. I guess my Question here is do any of you have any ideas on how I can get the title to this car? Cause im about to give up on her which is a shame she is in such good shape.
Thank you for any info anyone can give me
Sam

Old 01-30-2008, 06:00 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: DMV & Bank help needed

Wow... this is ironic, I have a brother named Sam who had a VERY similar problem....

So let me tell the story. Last year about this time, he was about to get a house. He was messing withthe repo'dhouses market. So he finally finds one he loves, and it has to go through the system.Fine, so when it comes up to sign closing, there is a lean against the property. So we all say "fine, who?" and they say "We don't know!!" So, as you can guess, this lead the whole family to go WTF!!!!!!! There real estate agent was supposed to handle it. A month passes. NOTHING!!!!! The people selling hte house can't even figure out who the lean is with or even how much. All they know is there is a lean. Finally, my dad and I (and this was about the time I had just gotten the Monte, I know I had only had it a couple weeks and we were riding aroudn in it doing all of this), we finally go to the courthouse and see what they can do. There was nothing in the courthouse computer about it. So we finally gather the lot number and property tax number or something like that. We had to down into the basement of the courthouse to where all records are stored back to the 1850's or so. We dug for about 30 mins there for it (well, the clerk did, me and dad watched). Finally, we find it. On this piece of paper that was filed FIFTEEN (15) years ago, was the lean. It was with American General Finance, and the woman who signed the papers was a woman who goes to our church. Not only that, but it really wasn't anything to do with our property tecnically. The lean was filed before hte land was subdivided.When the lean was filed, the area was one huge farm, then the farmer retired and sold most of his land. Somehow, the lean landed on the piece of property my brother wanted to buy. So we go to American General Finance, and the loan was payed, but somehow the lean was never dropped. So how was this lean even learned of? We have no idea.

My point is, to find out more about the lean, go to your county courthouse or city hall, this stuff should be public record. I hope that helps.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:20 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sam, I'd almost be tempted to let a lawyer handle this for me. They may charge you like $50 to get this straightened out?

Duane, It's called Red Tape.
You can't image some of the junk property get's wrapped up in. My youngest sister used to work for the country auditor's office in this country. She would tell me some horror stories she had witnessed.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:21 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

What still baffles me is with as much trouble as it took us to find the lean and who it was from, how did the people selling this thing even FIND the lean in the first place?

Old 01-30-2008, 06:33 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I think it's pretty much standard but anytime a property is sold most or all lean companies hire people to research the property up for sale.

So things like this don't happen. And it's not uncommon for a lean holder to "Forget" to cancel a paid in full lien.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:22 AM

First thanks guys for the help
ORIGINAL: rj

Sam, I'd almost be tempted to let a lawyer handle this for me. They may charge you like $50 to get this straightened out?

Duane, It's called Red Tape.
You can't image some of the junk property get's wrapped up in. My youngest sister used to work for the country auditor's office in this country. She would tell me some horror stories she had witnessed.

Im very close to that I got one more trip to DMV in me today then I'm probably gonna talk to a lawyer.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:33 AM

Hi `Sam,
I feel your pain. I have a deposit on a 86 SS since Oct 07
that's in a family estate. It's also stored in a garage.
The family attorney & familyhas approved the sale, to me,
but their son is contesting his father's will : (
With our court system being clogged, it's taking forever
to get heard. It's been a nightmare.
Sometimes an attorney can help speed things up.
I wish you good luck in your problem.
Oh, Please tell us about your super low mile 86 Monte.
What model ? Is it a V8 or 6 ?
Color/etc.
Good Luck `Sam, Wish you the best.
Will be looking forward to hearing what happens.
`Space

Old 01-31-2008, 10:29 PM

ORIGINAL: SpaceRider

[align=center][/align][align=center]I wish you good luck in your problem.[/align][align=center]Oh, Please tell us about your super low mile 86 Monte.[/align][align=center]What model ? Is it a V8 or 6 ?[/align][align=center]Color/etc.[/align][align=center][align=center][/align][/align]
86 LS 4.3L fuel injected(wished it was a SS w/V8)
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h2...nPB/car009.jpg
Went to DMV todaySpent an hour there and they faxed info to the bank so now im waiting on DMV to call me back. Hard to tell if I will ever hear from them again..
Thanks for all the suport guys
Sam

Old 01-31-2008, 11:50 PM

OK ... tell them you found me and I hold the lean.
Send me the form and I'll sign everything over to you to wrap things up.
The Last Bank of RickCoMatic.
You owe ... (let me see if I can find the receipt for those fog lights ... aah, here it is.)

You only owe a hundred and five dollars and a set of Dale Jr. rims.
I'll take-off the rims if you send me a C-Note and we're square!

Old 02-01-2008, 08:52 AM

LOL I wished it had been that easy RickCoMatic. The only flaw in your plan is DMV knows who the lean is with it's just the bank changed names and those idiot's I have a fealing don't have the records anymore.

Quick Reply: DMV & Bank help needed