Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Dex-Cool

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 03:43 PM
Default Dex-Cool

Ok. I have just read that GM is going to PAY in coolant repair cases. Repairs made in the first 5 years are eligible for up to $400.
If the damage went beyond the engine's cooling system GM is to reimburse them up to $800. More on this Web site. www.dexcoolsettlement.com. A list of cars is on there as well. This was a write up in the Detroit Free Press. www.freep.com in todays paper in section "E".

Old 03-27-2008, 03:51 PM
Default RE: Dex-Cool

good news! too bad this lawsuit only applies to vehicles sold in the USA at the moment. i haven't myself paid for repairs due to dexcool. BUT the motor in this car has been running generic antifreeze anyways. i'm happy for the people that have had to deal with this issue.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:11 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hope I don't get to be one of them.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:48 PM

I would rather not have to make a claim wiht my car. BUT i will be flushign the system again to make sure i have it all out of it.

Mine did have the sludge in it i was told it was stuff they put in there to sop leaks if they happen. And not to worry. I was like OK!!

then went to the nearest place i could get ainti freez in Germany and i flushed the system. and put in generic stuff also. So i will be doinging it again to make damed sure that i dont have to deal with this I hope. but i did notice on the intake i had some leakage under the engin cover. so go figure that it would hide lol

Old 03-27-2008, 07:27 PM

This scares me! Should I be looking to get that Dex-Cool out of my Monte. My Monte is an '04 LS with a V-6. It seems like the V-6 made after 03 is OK with Dex-Cool in it.
The Monte has 72,000 Miles on it. Will I be doing any harm draining out all the Dex Cool ... doing a fresh-water flush and than adding some Non-Dex-Cool (Green) Anti-freeze?

What would you do if you were me?

Old 03-27-2008, 07:58 PM

Ricko,I just put my `97LS in the shop today for a no start problem. It`s in a Chevy dealership right now. I told them to flush the coolant and put the green coolant in. Now I trust this forum to the fullest extent when it comes to issues on our cars and I`ve read alot about this Dexcool thing. The `97 has the Dexcool and the `98 has the green soley because the coolant tube under the intake took a dump. So the previous owner put the green in it. The `97 has never been changed I think, so while it`s in the shop I tell `em to put the green in after the flush, but the shop manager tells me today that the issue isn`t with Dexcool but the gaskets they used back in the `90`s. Hell,now I`m thinking to go ahead and put the green in her and hope for the best. His story is it`s a difference between the aluminum heads and a cast iron block.
Shifting between the two. The new gaskets they got will solve the problem he says. weoll, I told him to flush it and put the Dexcool back in her. Hope I didn`t screw this up!

Old 03-27-2008, 08:29 PM

rick how to say this nicely

OH HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!
GET THE DEX CRAP OUT OF THE CAR!!!
they might say it is the gaskest but i can honestly say i have had no issues with mine for the most part and i had the recall done on mine where they changed those faulty gaskests out.
and they had to do it twice becuse they didnt knwo what they were doing

I do not trust DEXCRAP!!!! at all i would rather change all the gaskets in my car then know i didnt get it out and ifnd out it is from this crap.
the mech. at works even says get it out . they ahve a neutrel antifrees out that is also orange if you just like the color LOL

Old 03-27-2008, 09:07 PM

I made the mistake of grabbing Dex-Cool when I had to replace a water pump gasket on my 76. All I saw on the bottle was 50/50 pre-mix because that's what I was running, green 50/50. But when I went to pour in the new coolant it was red. So the next day I set up an appointment to get it flushed out of my system. Cost me $150.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:13 AM

My car is on its second set of Fel-Pros; the previous owner had the upper/lower intake gaskets replaced because of the technical service bulletin about the gaskets...I'm not sure if its because of the DexCool or not, but I'm glad to see that something is being done about it.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by RickCoMatic
This scares me! Should I be looking to get that Dex-Cool out of my Monte. My Monte is an '04 LS with a V-6. It seems like the V-6 made after 03 is OK with Dex-Cool in it.
The Monte has 72,000 Miles on it. Will I be doing any harm draining out all the Dex Cool ... doing a fresh-water flush and than adding some Non-Dex-Cool (Green) Anti-freeze?

What would you do if you were me?
My 04' had lots of sludge and the thermostat o ring apparently had been leaking.

Last edited by PINKFLOYD_; 06-19-2009 at 01:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Dex-Cool