Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Detroit wants to change name

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 06:27 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Detroit wants to change name

Oregon town may dump 'Detroit'

Supporters say name has negative image.

DETROIT (AP) — A tiny tourist town trying hard to make a name for itself in the Cascades foothills of Oregon might ditch its "Detroit" name in an effort to shed the unwanted baggage that comes with sharing a moniker with the Motor City.

Voters in Detroit, Ore., a 300-resident village best known for boating and skiing, will consider a ballot proposal on Election Day that would dump its name in favor of something considered far less notorious: Detroit Lake.

Builder Doug DeGeorge, who helped get the proposal on the ballot, said "Detroit" carries an unsavory image.

"I bought the old Detroit Lake Motel, and we turned it into a beautiful lodge," DeGeorge told The Detroit News in Michigan for a report published earlier this week. "When people asked me what project I was working on, I'd tell them I was building a lodge in Detroit.

"When I said, 'Detroit,' everyone would scrunch up their noses and furrow their brows. They'd say, 'My God, what are you doing building a lodge there?'"

Source: http://www.southbendtribune.com/arti.../-1/googleNews

__________________________________________________ ___________

So what do you think? Are they just being paranoid? Why can't we all just get along? :p

Old 11-01-2010, 07:58 PM

Ya know, there's alot of those Oregon folk that aren't too bright. Parts of it are still stuck in the 60's. But I guess you can find that in most any state.