Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Demolition Derbies

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 09:35 PM
1 Year Member
Default Demolition Derbies

Is there anyone else on this forum that drives demo derby cars? I have since I was 15 and I am currently 18. My dad drove for many years starting when he was 16 in 1983. They are a blast and one of the best stress relievers out there! Just wanting to see if any Monte Carlo drivers also participate in demo derbies

Old 10-11-2011, 09:44 PM

I haven't personally, but our local county fair has like 3 classes of them. I try to watch as often as I can.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:55 AM

I did it once when I was 19 or 20. I agree they are fun to watch. I would never do it again for two reasons. First is that no matter what precautions you take you are still beating the crap out of your body and sometimes it takes years for those injuries to come back to haunt. Not a big deal at 18 but can be huge at 50. Some day this will make sense. The second is that every car that gets derbied will never become a classic or donate parts to restore a classic.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:25 AM
1 Year Member

I agree with the injury part. My dad has some neck problems and back problems that are now acting up (not all from derbies, but they sure didn't help). And with the car part, the only cars I derby are 79 and newer Ford Crown Victorias, Mercury Grand Marquis, and Lincoln Town Cars so they aren't that popular of a car. I also love cars and would never derby a nice classic. The reason I will always try to keep doing it is simply for the adrenaline rush. For me there is almost nothing else that compares to it.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:53 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Ive nvr done it but i watch it off & on

Old 10-12-2011, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by 537
I agree with the injury part. My dad has some neck problems and back problems that are now acting up (not all from derbies, but they sure didn't help). And with the car part, the only cars I derby are 79 and newer Ford Crown Victorias, Mercury Grand Marquis, and Lincoln Town Cars so they aren't that popular of a car. I also love cars and would never derby a nice classic. The reason I will always try to keep doing it is simply for the adrenaline rush. For me there is almost nothing else that compares to it.
Most cars are classics after twenty years. I happen to like the Grand Marquis and Towncars of the eighties. They were the last of the classic design. After that they went with a more aero look and are not as nice. I have an 86 Towncar Cartier that I am trying to resify. It has a 5.0 from an 89 Mustang GT. And I am adding fender skirts, wire wheels, trunk mount luggage rack, dual antennas, and a continental kit. It will make a nice cruiser.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:12 PM
1 Year Member

Thats cool. That is your opinion and I respect that. If you would ever need small parts or interior parts let me know and I could try to help you out. And the majority of the cars that I have now would not be able to be put back on the road. I get them from a friend that owns a salvage yard and when I'm done he gets them back for scrap. My stockpile right now has one 94 and one 96 Ford Crown Victoria and an 89 Lincoln Town Car. I derbied another 89 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series this year that I gave to my cousin who will be running it again next year.