Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Decision Time: Montes & MIS or Washington D.C. Field Trip?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 06:42 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Decision Time: Montes & MIS or Washington D.C. Field Trip?

Well, I know the forum will more likely be biased towards the Montes& MIS choice... but I ask that all forum members, if they will, step in to my boots (don't worry, they don't bite). I've got a choice. I have figured my costs with meals, entry fee, and gas at 25 mpg and $4 a gallon (I like to estimate things more libearlly and hope to have something left over) at around $550-600. I would love to do this.... but then my teacher posed this dilema. For $184 without meals, a group will go to Washington, DC on that very weekend. It will include:

Monument Tour
American History Museum Tour
The National Archives
Hotel costs

This would be $184 wihtout meals

Montes at MIS includes:

Laps on a track
Meet up with all of you (how sweet
I've been to DC twice, but never been to Michigan.

This chocie would be $550-600 with meals

I can only do one.... do I go to Michigan or do I go to DC?

Old 12-09-2007, 07:00 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Decision Time: Montes & MIS or Washington D.C. Field Trip?

MIS without a doubt!
With DC, you can all ready say, "Been there, Done that!"

Old 12-09-2007, 07:09 PM

5 Year Member

yeah... i've always wanted to see the monuments at night, the way they light them up, or so i've seen. my 5th grade trip was very rushed.... we treid to see everything in a day and we didn't enjoy anything. the 8th grade trip we saw the halocaust museum and the capitol... hey, funny thing about the capitol building, heres that story (btw, the trip was great, i enjoyed it)

The Captiol Building you would think is a guided tour by about 5 guys carrying machine guns after 9/11 (nad this was in 2003). No flash pictures, no stepping out of line, our trigger fingers are itchy... but it's the exact opposite...

When you go to the captitol buidling, half of the guards have machine gusn, teh otehr half have a pistol on the side. you pass thru only one metal detector. your guided by a paige who isn't in a hurry at all and usually quite friendly. once you are inside, it is a very open enviornment. yo uwould think it is a "don't touch anything" and uptight feel. but you can actually take flash pictures, touch most of the stuff, and hang around. everybody laughs and has a good time. i've stood in the center of washington, d.c. (which is a star in the middle of the dome, oriignally George Washignton would be burried in a thing there and everyone would come to pay their respects ot him there, but his wife had him buried where she coudl see him). Then you go into the original Senate and HOR meeting rooms... and then you go into the Rotunda. There is some kind of gloss on everything... so you can actually take flash pictures nad it won't damage anything.. quite neat. I would have to say my tour of the Capitol was one of the best thigns I've ever done in my life... how patriotic of me right

[sm=americanasmiley.gif][sm=usa.gif]

Old 12-09-2007, 09:34 PM

MIS. couch will be in attendance

Old 12-09-2007, 09:47 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It really depends on what you want to do more. Sure you've been to DC twice before, but I would have to say there's a difference between grades 5 and 8, and now. Now, you can better understand and appreciate everything. And hopefully you'd be seeing things you didn't visit before.

I'm sure the capitol building tour has taken the necessary precautions to protect themselves. But at the same time, they know how important tourist dollars are. So they must have come to a compromise.

Personally, I've never been to either. And given a choice I'd probably do the MIS thing. The way I see it, DC will always be there next year.

Old 12-09-2007, 09:47 PM

ORIGINAL: couch

looks like i gotta go now lol, my car club is sponsoring it, so i kinda gotta go but since that fine azz 5th gen couch edition is gonna show i guess ill be there as well

Old 12-10-2007, 11:36 AM

ORIGINAL: scc24540

ORIGINAL: couch

looks like i gotta go now lol, my car club is sponsoring it, so i kinda gotta go but since that fine azz 5th gen couch edition is gonna show i guess ill be there as well
wicked chris

Old 12-10-2007, 12:11 PM

Hi Duane,
First, I must say that I've been home-schooled, and have never been out of the
state of Florida. Please consider the Source.
[:-]
If I were in your boots : ) I would choose Washington D.C.
It's your last year in H.S. and it's the last time you will be together as a group
with your classmates. I think both are awesome places to travel, but
MIS is every year, and you could always go there in your future, but to
go and enjoy the fun with all the kids you went to school with, sounds like a really
blast, and a lot of fun.Something that you will remember 4-ever : )
It's your choice, and your decision, but `if my BeachBum Friends and I had a
chance to go, and discover our Nations Capital for that price, we would `jump
at it. Wish you `fun, no matter what your choice.
Good Luck, `Space & the Bum's

Old 12-10-2007, 12:34 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

MIS..

Washington & Lincoln will still be there waiting on you in years to come. Do something cool instead.

You could always attend a Subaru event. That sounds like fun.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:36 PM

5 Year Member

well i found out more today.....

The trip will also include Baltimore, where we will go to the bay, the zoo, adn a couple of other things. The Washington DC jsut may (dare say).. a tour of the west wing... there will be several choices to do with the various teachers going. the whole group will also do a evening monument tour to see them lit up. AND, all meals are paid, i found out. plus, like space says... i could never do it for that price again. heck it would cost $184 in gas and food just to go to Baltimore and DC. i've been to Baltimore a couple times, but i never could enjoy it.... and i've seen DC quti ea few times nad actually been on trips to enjoy it twice. Right now I am leaning towards DC... 2 days of stuff for 1/3 the price... Montes & MIS is just a 1 day thing. Maybe MIS next year but hey, i might still be persuaded, i do'nt know...

Quick Reply: Decision Time: Montes & MIS or Washington D.C. Field Trip?