Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Dead before they hit the showroom?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 10:52 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Dead before they hit the showroom?

The conversation in kweef's other thread (no chevy program...) got me thinking, and instead of hi-jacking his thread, thought I throw the question out here.

Do you think the rising price of gas and oil are going to kill the new Chevy Camaro and Dodge Challenger before they even hit the showroom?

I think they may have one year of limited edition pre-orders only. Then be axed.

What do y'all think?

Old 03-24-2008, 11:07 AM
Default RE: Dead before they hit the showroom?

I sure hope it doesn't, I'd like to have a Camaro no matter the price of gas. Granted it probably wouldn't be my daily driver, but I've heard that it's supposed to be getting gas mileage similar to what I'm currently getting in my Monte.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:11 PM

Even though gas prices are on the rise I think modern muscle cars are safe. Like a man once told me at work: (we were talking about his '02 Avalanche and gas prices) "I don't give a damn what gas prices are; I will drive whatever the hell I want, and nobody is going to tell me otherwise." It's that attitude that will save our muscle cars. Even with CAFE standards on the rise (35 mpg in the U.S. by 2020) I believe our cars are safe. All the big three will do is develop a line of vehicles thats sole purpose is to boost the average for a company's gas mileage requirement.Withcomputer control programs like VVT (Variable Valve Timing) and DOD (Displacement on Demand) gas mileage in larger vehicles will still be on the rise. Ask some of our valued '06-07 MC SS owners with the 5.3 Liter DODmotorwhat their highway mileage is compared to theV-8 drivers of yore andyou will see that mileage is considerably better. My father's truck (2005 Silverado w/5.3 liter aluminum block/heads) gets about 25 mpg on thehighway; considerably better than his old 350 that got like 15-17 on the highway with a tailwind. All this to say, I think we're safe because people will drive what they want no matter what.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:34 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

I think there is soooo much more that GM can do to developea fuel efficient engine that still has the power to keep us happy. Take the new cadillac 3.6L V6. It has 304hp and still gets 26 mpg highway. Imagine 12 more years of development by GM (who already engineered some great engines). They will have the power and economy by then.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:03 AM

Direct Injection is the KEY to fuel economy. With DI you get a more complete burn, less emissions and better fuel ecomony. DI has been around for years, in diesels and some foriegn cars and I'm glad to see GM employing it with the 3.6L in the Cadillac, and the 2.0L Turbo found in the Solstice, Sky, HHR SS, and '08 Cobalt SS. Now if we could get GM to develop V-8 with DI, or do what Ford is doing: Turbocharging4 and 6 cylinder motors. Their EcoBoost program is a good one. (Finally)

Old 03-25-2008, 06:33 AM

[align=center]I really like this V-6Engine[/align][align=center]GM is in a ReVolution : )[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]
Key Technical SpecsStandard Engine
3.6L V6[/align]Standard Transmission
6 Speed Automatic[/align]Cylinders
6[/align]Horsepower @ RPM
304@6400[/align]Torque @ RPM
273@5200 (foot-lbs)[/align][/align][align=center]

[/align][/align]2008 Cadillac CTS 3.6L SIDI - engine compartme[/align]

Old 03-25-2008, 10:03 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The 4 and 6 cylinder direct injection idea is a great idea and I think it would work well. In most cars.

However, I think when it comes to the Camaro, at least, most people are going to say "V8 engine or nothing". No matter what the horsepower is coming out of the DI V6.

From what I've noticed, most of the "throw-back" muscle car fans want the new version to be the same as the old version. This is what killed the new Pontiac GTO. I liked the new GTO, and actually wanted to buy one. (GM wouldn't sell them outside of the U.S. - story for another time) But most of the GTO fansrefused to buy it because it didn't look like the old GTO's.

I think this mentality is what's going to kill the new Camaro. Yes it looks and feels like the old Camaro. But because it doesn't have a big gas guzzling V8 in it,theCamaro fans won't want it. Even if it had the 300+ hp Cadillac engine previously mentioned.And of course, I think because of gas and oil prices, GM won't put the Camaro into mass production with a V8.

So for those reasons, I believe the new Camaro isdoomed to the chopping block before it hits mass production. Sure there will be a very limitednumber produced for one year. But I believe these will be given to top execs andanyone who pre-ordered one at a premium price. Just to save face for all of GM's publicity.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:49 PM

Good points. I agree with the "old school" metality. The other thing that killed the GTO is the aussie suspension on American roads....I drove one and it was NOT designed for America...Don't get me wrong, it rode and handled great...but there isstill a lot of roll and instability.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:56 PM

the thing is they promissed us a camaro with the newest biggest baddest V-8 and RWD car on the planet . well ok not that bad but ya get the meannign and now they keep bumping it back further and furether FOR WHAT!!
Sh@%! or Get of fthe pot

Old 03-25-2008, 02:07 PM

ORIGINAL: mickey

the thing is they promissed us a camaro with the newest biggest baddest V-8 and RWD car on the planet . well ok not that bad but ya get the meannign and now they keep bumping it back further and furether FOR WHAT!!
Sh@%! or Get of fthe pot
HAHA...I agree, Mickey. Well put.

Quick Reply: Dead before they hit the showroom?