Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Dashcam?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 09:18 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Dashcam?

Anyone here using a dashcam? I'm looking to get two for me and one for my wife
If anyone is good with these things and knows what's a good/better/best dashcam I have some questions.

1. For me I want to mount a dash cam for the front and rear, can I run both on the same power supply?
2. What kind of storage space should I get, I would like to record at least 12 hours before lapping over
3. Can it show speed/direction/current time, any motion activated so if it's parked at night it doesn't continously keep recording?
4. I'm looking for one that mounts firmly and stays put through out the year plus is there an option where it reduces or eliminate the vibration caused by the car?

Any help is appreciated. I did some of my own work/research but I don't actually Know what is good and what's not, usually the ones with experience have the best knowlage.

Last edited by Habbibie; 12-29-2015 at 09:22 PM.
Old 12-30-2015, 12:57 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I actually just got one for Christmas.

From my research, rear-mounted are a wiring mess, look ugly, and the picture quality is poor. Also, it's less of a concern for a rear-mounted one (I need to prove innocence if I hit someone, not if someone hits me).

If you get a GPS one, you will get speed and time.

Forget storage space, they all take microSD and those are dirt cheap. But you wouldn't record THAT much data before lapping, it's pretty typical that it's just 5-20 minutes recorded, then lapped. If the camera sensor determines a jolt, it will save the last 5-20 minutes automatically.

I also wouldn't bother with motion activation, I have read a bunch and you aren't going to find the person, nor is the image quality going to be good enough without lights for it to be effective. Plus you don't want anything actually draining your battery.

Here is the one that I got. I'm going to mess with it this weekend (update it, play with settings and mounting, etc).

MINI 0806 X44 1.5 inch 1296P Ambarella A7LA50 GPS Car Camera Camcorder-110.00 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com

Old 12-30-2015, 06:23 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I had one for a couple year, i have since thrown it out as it deteriorated and turned into a useless pile of junk.

1. Mike is right about the rear being a wiring mess.

2. Generally they take SD/MicroSD cards up to 32gb. Usually 32gb should be enough to record up to 12 hours before lapsing over.

3. All should show date and time, speed is generally an extra with gps. Usually they come on and go off with the cars power or have to be plugged in and unplugged depending on how your cars power outlets work. Some have motion sensing, but its only when its off, it'll sense something and turn on and start recording.

4. Pretty much all use suction cup mounts if the surfaces are clean it'll stay fine. Mine probably stayed up for atleast a year no problem.

Old 12-30-2015, 07:36 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've got two. Call me a gadget freak.

Front one is an older version of Mike's, the Mini0801. It's held up well. A base sticks to the windsheild with double sided tape, the base has the power connection and the camera itself docks to the base - is easy to remove. Recording is descent. It's software is rough but it works to review clips on the PC with a Google Map in a window showing the GPS tracking. I give this one and any later versions a stamp of approval.

Back one is the Cobra that came from Costco. It records better and the software is more polished. When hooked up it's behind me so I don't see it in my field of view. Camera itself is the right size, but it's suction cup mount makes it awkward. It will lose it's suck and fall off the window often. It also interferes with the FM radio. Do not recommend. I've taken it off and keep it handy for trips in the work truck.

Powering - most come with a lighter plug. The lighter sockets in the Monte are typical American style and are always on. For the rear one I would try and remember to plug it into the lighter in the console. The front one is plugged into a 3-way lighter splitter hidden behind the passenger side dash end cover that is wired to the RAP fuse so it is a set it and forget it thing.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:34 AM

Last year I had a GW1H, and for $70 CDN it was pretty good. No complaints. I ended up selling it so I could buy an AEM digital boost gauge lol. This year, my gf got me a Garmin 20 from Costco. It has built in GPS, which is what I think I want since it tells me speed and exact location. I think it may bite me in the *** with my summer driving habits............. So far, I love it. The video quality is on par with the much cheaper one (which was great). But the build quality is better. The unit itself feels sturdy and the wiring, although short, seems to be of better quality. This costs $200 CDN, but you're paying for the name (and support that comes with it) and the GPS connection.

I recommend both, pick one based on your budget.