Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

>Dale Earnhardt Jr is Selling His (?) + lots more<

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 05:55 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Talking >Dale Earnhardt Jr is Selling His (?) + lots more<

Dale Earnhardt Jr is Selling His Bel Air and Corvette on eBay

By Zach Doell 15 hours ago

It’s not everyday that a NASCAR legend posts his personal cars up for sale on eBay. But today is that day, and none other than Dale Earnhardt Jr is that legend. The 2014 Daytona 500 winner posted up two cars from his rarified collection – a 1999 Callaway Corvette C12 and his custom-built 1955 Chevy Bel Air – and as it is on eBay, you could be the next owner.
Right, so about the cars.
In 2004, Dale Jr. took ownership this slick ’55 custom Bel Air, built specifically for him by Funkmaster Flex. You heard right. It utilizes a Jim Meyer chassis and 434ci Scott Shafiroff motor, outputting over 500 horsepower. The custom aluminum wheels sport Earnhardt’s previous number ’8′, and on the inside the dash and interior feature a nice resto-mod look. The ad even states that if you’re the winning bidder, Dale Jr. will personally hand the keys over and autograph the car. Not bad!
RELATED: Take a closer look at the iconic 1955 Chevrolet Bel Air

Dale Jr.’s 1999 Callaway C12 shows a mere 23,432 miles on the odometer and appears just as fresh (and blisteringly fast) as it did when it was crafted over 15 years ago. The C12 was originally designed to compete at Le Mans in the GT2 category. It did just that. The race-version C12.R actually sprinted to take the class pole position in 2001 at the Circuit de la Sarthe.
At its core, the C12 started life as a C5 Corvette, then Callaway Cars and Callaway Competition got to work and widened the body, overhauled the suspension, and stuck a highly-tuned SuperNatural LS-series engine underneath. The price? Callaway charged approximately $200,000 a pop, and Earnhardt was one of a lucky few to receive one.
RELATED: Check out the gorgeous drop-top Callaway C16 Speedster

Old 01-17-2015, 05:59 AM

Bigger, faster & more expensive: Three trends from the Detroit auto show <Click

The Detroit auto show's press preview days have wound down, but now comes the hard part: Sorting out what was real, and what was just gloss for the thousands of reporters who came to see the latest new vehicles. Sure, who can stop looking at cars like the Ford Mustang 350GTR track toy, or even the…

Motoramic
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Play
Shelby unveils an insane 627-hp Mustang – and you can hear it roar now < Click

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 01-17-2015 at 06:01 AM.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:12 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member

I guess Jr must be hard up for some cash!

Old 01-17-2015, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by JuniorCar
I guess Jr must be hard up for some cash!

LoL `Brent,
No he's not, he's just selling them & sending the money 2 `Space >LOL> >or maybe he's going to get you a Caddy Wagon (?) since you are a fan

Old 01-17-2015, 06:45 AM

Average Detroit debut car had 331 hp, 7 speeds, 0-60 of 5.6 seconds

Get Set To Test Drive The 2015 Turbocharged Canyon Carver AWD In Sparkling Silver

Seyth Miersma
My fellow Autoblog editors and I were hyped for the 2015 Detroit Auto Show before the doors at Cobo even opened, and the sheet metal we all saw bore out that early excitement. And, as is usually the case, you readers tuned in more often and in greater numbers for coverage of this show than you do for any other single event on the calendar of the car world. Thanks.

By basic measures then, Detroit '15 was a smashing success. (If you're within striking distance of the Motor City, I highly recommend that you buy a ticket and see for yourself.)

With big names like
Ford GT, NSX, Titan, Tacoma and Volt rolling onto stages this year, its no wonder that our eyeballs were glued to the coverage. But the diversity of products (along with my recent breakdown of the cars I drove in 2014) had me wondering what the "average" Detroit debut car looked like this year.

To get some statistical idea of what the show produced this year, I fired up Excel and started to chart the facts and figures relayed by dozens of press releases.

As you might guess, the results left huge gaps in the data set. Mixing concept car info with just-announced production vehicles means that powertrain details like power and torque can be sketchy, while really sensitive info like pricing and fuel economy ratings are almost non-existent. What's more, my rough calculations only took into account debuting products, not the entire roster of every company's show stand (which often includes existing production models).

In short, I was hunting for trends more than rigorous science. (Hey, I'm an English major, back off.)

All of those caveats listed then, what did the spec sheet Detroit's average debut vehicle look like? Here's a list of figures (all "where applicable"):

• Average horsepower: 331
  • Average pound-feet of torque: 349
  • Average liters of displacement: 3.29
  • Average number of cylinders: 5.9
  • Average number of transmission gears: 7.1
  • Average 0-60 MPH time in seconds: 5.6
  • Engine aspiration: 68% turbocharged, 24% naturally aspirated, 5% supercharged, 3% bi-charged
  • Driven wheels: 63% all-wheel drive available, 43% rear-wheel drive available, 18% front-wheel drive available, 25% options available
  • Fuel: 72% gasoline, 14% hybrid, 7% diesel, 7% electric
Just a glance at those numbers and, if you're like me, you'll recognize a lot of trends that have hit the market in the last few years. A renewed interest in powerful, efficient and increasingly smaller-displacement gas engines aided by turbocharging and advanced transmissions.

All-wheel-drive cars seem to be stealing from the market share of both front- and rear-drive cars as well, and are incrementally responsible for quicker acceleration times, too. Bear in mind, of course, that most of the 0-60 times published at an auto show are for high-performance-type vehicles, so that 5.6-second figure is overly aggressive even for a show with a lot of fast whips.

And, just for kicks, I tallied up numbers for most popular paint colors, too. Silver was the most common hue on show stands this year, being found on some 24 percent of the debuts we covered. Blue was a close second – thanks in large part to Ford's use of the achingly hip Liquid Blue on all of its performance products – netting 21 percent. Red and white tied at 16 percent apiece, with unphotogenic black coming up next at eight percent. Yellow, green and orange tones made up the wild-child backmarkers, with five percent each.

Do I expect I'll drive a lot of 330-hp, 350-lb-ft turbo-V6-powered, 7-speed, silver cars in 2015? Not exactly... though that doesn't sound like a bad afternoon. But I do think the Detroit figures, inexact though they might be, color a forecast for the industry that's trending in an exciting way. Here's to the future.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:49 AM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

It would be cool to have Dale Jr hand over the keys and I like Jr a lot but I don't think anyone would be writing on my car!!!! LOL The only exception to that would have been when his Dad was still with us. Dale Sr could have signed anything of mine that he wanted to sign!!!!

Old 01-17-2015, 07:51 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by P343
It would be cool to have Dale Jr hand over the keys and I like Jr a lot but I don't think anyone would be writing on my car!!!! LOL The only exception to that would have been when his Dad was still with us. Dale Sr could have signed anything of mine that he wanted to sign!!!!
Ditto!

Old 01-18-2015, 08:28 AM
Monte of the Month -- March 2015
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I wouldn't mind buying a car off of dale jr. and meeting him. That vette is pretty neat since it is different then the ones during the late 90s.